Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Only a small percentage of Muslims are terrorists, so we shouldn't see Islam as evil.

Only a smaller percentage of Catholics abuse children, but we should see the Catholic Church as evil?

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Only a small percentage of Muslims are terrorists, so we shouldn't see Islam as evil.

Only a smaller percentage of Catholics abuse children, but we should see the Catholic Church as evil?

No of course not. We should see the Catholic Church as seriously flawed because of the doctrines that they explicitly say they believe, not because of abuses from Catholic clergy which are condemned by their own church.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

The issue is not Catholics, it's Catholic priests. I just heard an NPR report that there's a conservative estimate that 6% of Catholic priests are involve in child molestation. Even higher percentages involved in other acts of sexual immorality. I seem to recall it turned out that for some diocese, the percentage actually turned out to be about 10% of Catholic priests being involved in molesting children.

No, that's not a "small percentage."

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

No, I don't think we should look at Islam as evil, though we have to protect ourselves from their extremists, who would kill us all, given the opportunity.

As for the Catholic Church, they seem to have a serious problem right now, and they need to deal with it, but the world is eager to make the church look bad, so don't assume everything bad thing you hear about the church is true.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your point is valid.
It's called a double standard.
Isis throws children off roofs and has crucified them.
It's all evil.
I dislike political correctness.
Call it what it is, no matter who does it.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I don't think we should look at Islam as evil, though we have to protect ourselves from their extremists, who would kill us all, given the opportunity.

As for the Catholic Church, they seem to have a serious problem right now, and they need to deal with it, but the world is eager to make the church look bad, so don't assume everything bad thing you hear about the church is true.
Right now, everything bad we hear about the church is true. And worse than what I thought.

• Agree
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We've been waiting for the Catholic Church to purge this evil from itself. We're still waiting ...

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right now, everything bad we hear about the church is true. And worse than what I thought.
The thing is you have to look at who is reporting it.
And the ones that are reporting are they putting a bad spin on it.

The media always wants to magnify everything. Sensationalism sells, truth doesn't sell as well.

• Useful
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If Islam denies that Jesus Christ is our Lord and the One who suffered and died for us and then rose from the dead, then it is evil.

But I would say terrorism is a personal choice by each individual. So, I would say that in case a terrorist claims he or she is acting in the name of Islam, this does not automatically mean the terrorist represents Islam. Likewise, there have been certain people who claimed to be Christians but they helped to invade and take the lands of sovereign Native American nations; their claiming to be Christian does not automatically mean they were representing Jesus while taking land from sovereign native American peoples and even killing their squaws and children in order to conquer other peoples. And I think England claimed to be Christian while conducting a campaign of some amount of world conquest; this does not mean England was being Christian, just because they claimed to be while doing that.

So, I am not going to guarantee what is really Islam, based on what certain people claim.

There are people who gang up on little girls and mutilate their sexual parts, and these people claim to be Muslims; but I do not know how many people do this and if mutilating little girls is widely officially accepted by ones saying they are Muslims.

I do not claim to know if the number of supposedly Muslim child abusers of this sort is greater than that of abusers claiming to be Catholic. And, like I said, I do not know if this is a more or less universal practice and officially accepted by most people who claim Islam. But I see it is possible that if Muslims in great numbers practice this, they might outnumber those abusers claiming to be Catholic.

My main concern is how such horribly evil men could be ordained as priests, in the first place, and seminary screeners and ordaining bishops and even large percentages of congregation numbers could not tell the difference, and even supposed a number of those men were great candidates and pastors and preachers.

I understand that Jesus makes us sheep, not only leaders, able to tell the difference between a real pastor and an impostor > John 10:1-31. You can tell if someone is of the Spirit of God's own love, versus a person who can betray children > betraying is an act of hatred and cruelty, and its spirit (Ephesians 2:2) is obviously not like the Holy Spirit ministering through a qualified pastor > 1 Timothy 3:1-10.

So, if we can't tell the difference, we need to first get our own correction which only God can give us > Hebrews 12:4-11.

• Agree
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Islam denies that Jesus Christ is our Lord and the One who suffered and died for us and then rose from the dead, then it is evil.

But I would say terrorism is a personal choice by each individual. So, I would say that in case a terrorist claims he or she is acting in the name of Islam, this does not automatically mean the terrorist represents Islam. Likewise, there have been certain people who claimed to be Christians but they helped to invade and take the lands of sovereign Native American nations; their claiming to be Christian does not automatically mean they were representing Jesus while taking land from sovereign native American peoples and even killing their squaws and children in order to conquer other peoples. And I think England claimed to be Christian while conducting a campaign of some amount of world conquest; this does not mean England was being Christian, just because they claimed to be while doing that.

So, I am not going to guarantee what is really Islam, based on what certain people claim.

There are people who gang up on little girls and mutilate their sexual parts, and these people claim to be Muslims; but I do not know how many people do this and if mutilating little girls is widely officially accepted by ones saying they are Muslims.

I do not claim to know if the number of supposedly Muslim child abusers of this sort is greater than that of abusers claiming to be Catholic. And, like I said, I do not know if this is a more or less universal practice and officially accepted by most people who claim Islam. But I see it is possible that if Muslims in great numbers practice this, they might outnumber those abusers claiming to be Catholic.

My main concern is how such horribly evil men could be ordained as priests, in the first place, and seminary screeners and ordaining bishops and even large percentages of congregation numbers could not tell the difference, and even supposed a number of those men were great candidates and pastors and preachers.

I understand that Jesus makes us sheep, not only leaders, able to tell the difference between a real pastor and an impostor > John 10:1-31. You can tell if someone is of the Spirit of God's own love, versus a person who can betray children > betraying is an act of hatred and cruelty, and its spirit (Ephesians 2:2) is obviously not like the Holy Spirit ministering through a qualified pastor > 1 Timothy 3:1-10.

So, if we can't tell the difference, we need to first get our own correction which only God can give us > Hebrews 12:4-11.

When the church's best defense is, "well, at least we're not terrorists", we are really in big trouble.

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you assume that?
I don't assume anything.
I've been reading the news.
Not only were the priests doing horrendous things, but the COVER UP is bothering me a lot.

Two wrongs do not make a right.
The priests and bishops, and even higher, that have covered this up will be held just as responsible by God as those that commited the acts. Those that know God are held to a higher standard...
James 3:1

And Jesus said...
John 9:41
41Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but since you say, 'We see,' your sin remains."

• Agree
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The media always wants to magnify everything. Sensationalism sells, truth doesn't sell as well.
I agree with you DM.
But not in this case.
What is being reported is true.
And the cover up is true.

The same has been happening here.
A priest who was convicted of, I'll say molesting, 12 children has been found guilty and placed under house arrest. He belongs in prison with the other pedophiles. To me this is a very serious problems. Our young need to BE PROTECTED!
And when they're damaged for life, it should not be supported by those who hide the problem. They should be in prison too.
It's called complicity, accomplice, etc.

I'll say this for those who might be having spiritual problems because of this...The Church of God will remain pure even if everyone in it is not. To go further, I'd say that they are NOT EVEN IN IT. They certainly are not members of the Kingdom of God here on earth. But since the REPRESENT the church, they do great harm to it. I hope people can see beyont this and continue in their faith.

• Agree
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Is terrorism the only evil? If so, I suppose that the Catholic Church is pretty safe.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Please tell us the "good" spin you'd prefer when discussing systematic child molestation. Thanks.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't assume anything.
I've been reading the news.
Not only were the priests doing horrendous things, but the COVER UP is bothering me a lot.

Two wrongs do not make a right.
The priests and bishops, and even higher, that have covered this up will be held just as responsible by God as those that commited the acts. Those that know God are held to a higher standard...
James 3:1

And Jesus said...
John 9:41
41Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but since you say, 'We see,' your sin remains."
I don't know enough about it to disagree, but I do know there are those who hate the church.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please tell us the "good" spin you'd prefer when discussing systematic child molestation. Thanks.
I didn't say there was a good spin.
They shouldn't spin it at all.
They should just tell the truth.

But, instead of just reporting the facts, they put the worst spin on it they can.
If it was one of there people being accused of this I assure you they would want to cover it up. Or at least make light of it.

Upvote 0