A question on repentance

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ok so, we all know that true repentance is a sign of salvation and does not really directly save a person but is a sign that they are saved. A truly saved person will always have repentance and works because it is the Holy Spirit that works these things in us.

But, my question is what makes a repentance a valid repentance? Surely it is more than just telling God you're sorry because even the heathens do that. My second question is what role does repentance have to do with our sinful lives? Surely if we repent of a sin it shouldn't keep going on.

Like say for example sexual sin which Paul tells us to flee from that as if it were the devil. But, if you continue sleeping around well then your repentance Surely wasn't valid was it?

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok so, we all know that true repentance is a sign of salvation and does not really directly save a person but is a sign that they are saved. A truly saved person will always have repentance and works because it is the Holy Spirit that works these things in us.

But, my question is what makes a repentance a valid repentance? Surely it is more than just telling God you're sorry because even the heathens do that. My second question is what role does repentance have to do with our sinful lives? Surely if we repent of a sin it shouldn't keep going on.

Like say for example sexual sin which Paul tells us to flee from that as if it were the devil. But, if you continue sleeping around well then your repentance Surely wasn't valid was it?
Repentance is fully turning away from sin. But not only in deeds, but in our hearts also as our hearts desire sinful things. It is from the heart that sin comes. Many sadly teach that as long as we do not act on sinful desires, we do not sin. But the Lord is interested in the heart. Matthew 5 27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.' Lord Jesus say here that if you desire to sin, you are guilty of sin.

Temptations also. Many teach that temptations are not sin and give Jesus as an example being tempted in the dessert by satan. But Jesus was only tempted from the outside, we are often tempted from the inside, because our hearts are evil. And thus we often temp ourselves.

Sign of being a genuine Christian is that God removes your sinful stony heart, and replaces it with a heart of flesh, that desires what is right in God's eyes.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

Repentance is not a sign of salvation.
Repentance is for stopping a sin, that may cause God to place a person (believer or unbeliever) under judgment. Or God will just simply let their sin run its course and they may end their life much earlier than they would have. But if they would have repented from their sin and stopped, they may live out their life as God had planned.
A person living in a life style where they are part of this crime/gun culture now, may eventually loose their life by being murdered.
A person living in a homosexual life, will reap the consequences of their sin.

The sin or sins a person is doing may cause physical harm, by making the person sick or develop health problems.
Example an alcohol or drug abuser, from living the sinful life of one who is abusing alcohol or drugs. Will more than likely cut their life short if they continue in this abuse.

Many health problems are from sinful ways people (believers and unbelievers) eat, they are eating junk that God never intended a person to eat.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If you kick the demon out, what will keep him from coming back with seven more?
Repenting is also replacing you have to replace the bad you were doing with good stuff or it will never go away. There is lots of good stuff we can do, but you have to do it and not just say it.

• Agree
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Repentance is not saying you are sorry. Repentance is " changing your mind". This is what repentance means. That is why it is a common sign among those who are saved because they have turned away from sinful actions. For instance, a good example would be fornication. If one lived in fornication for a long time then repented from it, (moved out and stop all sexual activity), this would be a sign of the fruit of His Holy Spirit working in a beliver. They changed their mind and so the sinful action has been eliminated.
Many people think repentance means saying you are sorry but then the sin is repeated over and over. That person has not repented. They are still in bondage, do not care or have a OSAS theology. True repentance is a gift from His Holy Spirit dwelling in the believer. No Holy Spirit, no salvation.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We are in the constant state of repentance. Paul recognized this when he said "I die daily". Repentance isn't a one time deal. We need to have our thinking changed ... if our thinking is changed our actions will change .... we are pretty "hard headed/hearted" and we give into the temptations of satan (and he is relentless). By the grace of God ... every time we fall down He picks us up and we begin again ... it's a constant battle ... with the Lord's help we will do better .... not perfect ... but better. We deal with the roaring lion daily.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Surely it is more than just telling God you're sorry because even the heathens do that. My second question is what role does repentance have to do with our sinful lives? Surely if we repent of a sin it shouldn't keep going on.
Repentance is total change from one way of life to another, period. It is rejection of the self serving ways of mankind in favour of one of caring and sharing (loving all as self) which is opposite to the natural tendencies of man and makes up the counter-culture of the Kingdom rather than this selfish world we have made in our own image. Because this selfish nature is part of our fleshy instincts, it is of course quite easy to stumble now and then as instinct runs deep in our bodies but the object is to have the spiritual override the flesh. Flesh is but a temporary vessel and must not imprison the being within or reject the Kingdom without. In other words, quit being selfish. It leads to all the woes in the world.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

To "repent" is "to turn."

If you haven't turned from the sin, you haven't repented.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Repentance is inherently an act of faith and we are saved by that faith. Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so while we do not earn our salvation as the result of having first obeyed God's law, living in obedience to it is nevertheless intrinsically part of the concept of Jesus saving us from not living in obedience to it. A sign of repentance is a broken and contrite heart.

Upvote 0