KernAlan

Building on the rock
Oct 5, 2010
✟7,715.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I've been a Christian in name since childhood, but in my early teens I went back and forth between agnosticism and a distorted view of the Gospel.

It's been about a year since I really devoted myself to the faith, and only now am I starting to feel confident in my foundation. My question, then, follows:

Should I be baptized immediately? Unfortunately, my Sundays are being taken up and I find myself procrastinating my baptism. Is this dangerous considering that I've never been baptized before? Lastly, how important is it that I choose the right church for baptism?

Thank you in advance :) God bless.

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The devil will always try and tell you that you don't have to be Baptized so there is no need to be in a hurry to do it. But, if it wasn't necessary then why did the disciples of Jesus always Baptize a new convert? Paul even Baptized 12 believers again because they weren't Baptized before in the name of Jesus.

I can't get into a full teaching on Baptism here in this forum, but suffice it to say that you should take time to be baptized and you'll be glad you did.

Acts 2:38 (New International Version)

38) Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Blessings,

Alan

Last edited:
Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Two things. Baptism is important -- it's just not particularly critical to your salvation. It signs up to the covenant between you and God in Christ.

So far you're in a "common law" marriage with Him. Y'think God wants that?

Second, as to the church -- it doesn't matter the denomination of church you're being baptised in. It matters the God Who is signing the agreement, the covenant with you, by applying His sign of baptism to you. If the church is a church that is Christ's, then it's the right church, there is no better.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been a Christian in name since childhood, but in my early teens I went back and forth between agnosticism and a distorted view of the Gospel.

It's been about a year since I really devoted myself to the faith, and only now am I starting to feel confident in my foundation. My question, then, follows:

Should I be baptized immediately? Unfortunately, my Sundays are being taken up and I find myself procrastinating my baptism. Is this dangerous considering that I've never been baptized before? Lastly, how important is it that I choose the right church for baptism?

Thank you in advance :) God bless.
The Catholic position is that baptism is not merely a symbolic act, but that it is rather a Sacrament: an act of God by which he uses physical signs to impart divine grace to us. It actually does cleanse our soul from the stain of original sin, and seals our souls with the mark of belonging to God. So yes, it's VERY important.

Obviously I'd say that it's important to enter the right Church, and that that Church is the Catholic Church. Christ instituted a number of Sacraments for our spiritual benefit, and most of these are not available outside of the Catholic Church. But baptsim is one that is available outside of the Church, and the Church holds that all baptised believers are a part of the Catholic Church, although imperfectly joined if they are not formal members.

It's not absolutely necessary to be baptised in a Church, but it is necessary to be baptised with the correct matter (flowing water), the correct form ("KernAlan, I baptise you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"), and the correct intent (you and the person baptising intend to do what Christ intended you to do in baptism).

I'd like to personally invite you over the the One Bread, One Body sub-forum. God bless.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baptism is taking sides with Jesus Christ against the unbelieving world, and if one desires to do that and then live to honor the Lord, that one should be baptized with witnesses by one who is known to be a true servant of the Lord. God will honor that one in life; yet, you should know this is not speaking of salvation, which is found only in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord.
- 1watchman

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The bible says that water baptism is to show a good conscience towards God and its not a salvation issue.

1Pe 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

There is no work we can do to earn salvation.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Baptism is the practice of what we do as believers: put to death our "old man," and rise with Christ into newness of abundant Life. Your's is a classic question: to plunge into the act immediately, or to study a bit first? Both approaches are valid; G-d will honor your Faith.

And no matter how you go about it, somebody will find some petty reason to object! Baptism is about fearing G-d rather than the devil, the world, or our own flesh. And fulfilling all righteousness, just like Christ did. (Yeah, profound and weighty stuff, that)

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Absolutely do not procrastinate. In Acts there was a eunuch who had the gospel preached to him.

As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?"
The same thing can be applied to yourself. If you have access to water, what is preventing you from being baptized?

I put it off too until I became Lutheran. I was raised where it was just a symbol and no emphasis was put on it. Now I realize it's so very important. I got baptized right away (and my husband and brother).

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2010
Texas, United States
Visit site
✟7,682.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't been baptized either, and didn't realize the importance until reading the responses on this thread. Thank you for posting this question, it's one I too have been asking myself and thank you all who replied! You opened my eyes as well

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From the eye-opening Dep't:

under the water we meet death, hell, and it's Prince. That's why we go there. Obviously not to submit to any of them, but because we don't have to and we're rubbing their noses in it!

This is about identification. Are you ready to do that? While I agree not to procrastinate, I don't think this is something to take lightly or rush into. Be assured: your Faith WILL be tried, over this very act! I think it's really good to have a very settled Faith re: what it's all about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony"

It's about learning to overcome - some of your words ministering to others are already getting powerful! It's not so much about you deciding if you're ready as it is desiring to be, taking the steps you can, and G-d showing you when you are ready ...

remember when that Ethiopian saw water, he not only asked what prevents him from being Baptised but he had an Apostle preaching to him!

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2010
Texas, United States
Visit site
✟7,682.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
One of God's many blessings for me is the ability to capture and describe emotions through words. When I say something my feelings and meaning usually come out very detailed and crystal clear. Also, I know that I am still just on the verge of re-accepting Christianity and that I still have many upcoming challenges to prevail... however, rather than with dread I al accepting these challenges head on with the sole purpose of pleasing God, as it should be. I know He will guide me. This Sunday will be my firsy church service since i was 4.. maybe younger. So I know baptism is not probably in my immediate future, but nonetheless I will be looking forward to that day. Even with the bad and the challenges and the stress, life with God is 100 times.... no, infinitely greater than without.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See? There you go, overcoming by the word of your testimony! And it's a good example, pertinent to this thread.

Baptism is a very personal thing, between the individual believer and their Lord. You want it to "take," you want it to be meaningful; in short, you want to be "ready," whatever that means to YOU.

On a more personal note, I also rejected the Church I was raised in by the age of 4. I saw it had no power, and wanted nothing to do with it. I was not given that choice, had larger battles to fight, and it was a good opportunity for my musical training and performance experience. As a musician, I am LOUSY at "saying something my feelings and meaning usually come out very detailed and crystal clear." (Not sure which came first, musical inclination or difficulty w/ verbalization, kind of a chicken and the egg thing)
Nontheless, G-d still manages to get His points through to me. Good to have you aboard, your gift will be very helpful around here!

Upvote 0