United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Conversation on Twitter....

“If you are a member of Congress + leave, you shouldn’t be allowed to turn right around&leverage your service for a lobbyist check,” Ocasio-Cortez wrote. “At minimum there should be a long wait period.”

A short time later, former Republican presidential candidate Cruz tweeted, “Here’s something I don’t say often: on this point, I AGREE with @AOC Indeed, I have long called for a LIFETIME BAN on former Members of Congress becoming lobbyists. The Swamp would hate it, but perhaps a chance for some bipartisan cooperation?”

The freshman Democrat replied “if you’re serious about a clean bill, then I’m down. Let’s make a deal.” She said if they can agree to legislation “with no partisan snuck-in clauses” then “I’ll co-lead the bill with you.”

“You’re on,” Cruz replied.

The highest hurdle for the AOC/Cruz bill on lobbying reform

Wouldn't it be nice to see bipartisan cooperation working together to get the people's work done. Let's start with Immigration.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree. I would also extend the ban to include not just former senators and representatives but also senior civil servants who know as much or more about the inner workings of government.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Conversation on Twitter....

“If you are a member of Congress + leave, you shouldn’t be allowed to turn right around&leverage your service for a lobbyist check,” Ocasio-Cortez wrote. “At minimum there should be a long wait period.”

A short time later, former Republican presidential candidate Cruz tweeted, “Here’s something I don’t say often: on this point, I AGREE with @AOC Indeed, I have long called for a LIFETIME BAN on former Members of Congress becoming lobbyists. The Swamp would hate it, but perhaps a chance for some bipartisan cooperation?”

The freshman Democrat replied “if you’re serious about a clean bill, then I’m down. Let’s make a deal.” She said if they can agree to legislation “with no partisan snuck-in clauses” then “I’ll co-lead the bill with you.”

“You’re on,” Cruz replied.

The highest hurdle for the AOC/Cruz bill on lobbying reform

Wouldn't it be nice to see bipartisan cooperation working together to get the people's work done. Let's start with Immigration.
It’ll work wonders...until it’s struck down by the High Court.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
On the flip side, I'd love to see a similar ban on lobbyists being hired to fill government political appointments.

And those appointments to be filled by people who are actually qualified for the job and free of conflicts of interest.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
So it should not be illegal for a soldier regularly be seen entering the Russian embassy.
American law allows for fundamental rights to be curtailed for compelling government interests. But that is a term that tends to be very narrowly defined, and it's a good chance that the courts won't see preventing former congressmen from lobbying to be one.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Can you think of a reason it would be struck down? I can't.
“Freedom of speech” number one.
Limiting a person’s “commercial speech” is tricky ground. The bill would have to be delicately crafted to nullify as few rights from as few people as possible.

I think that that is possible, (though not likely on the first go-around, given whom we’re dealing with here), but the necessary hearings that will be needed to show how bad the corruption is, [in order to get support for the legislation] will be embarrassing to the donor-class.

It might not even make it out of committee?

[/cynic]

Last edited:
Upvote 0