Presidential Debate Number One: A Biden Fact-Check.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last night’s Presidential debate triggered the predictable mainstream media “fact-checking” activity, directed primarily at the statements made by President Trump. In leaving that work to other, less inspired members of the Fourth Estate, here are a few things that Vice President Biden mentioned last night that are not entirely supported by the facts.

GREEN NEW DEAL

When President Trump brought up the “Green New Deal” (GND) in reference to Biden’s climate change platform, Biden distanced himself from the policy, stating, “That is not my plan. GND is not my plan.”

Just minutes later, he pivoted to insist that the “GND will pay for itself as we move forward.”

After Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Sen. Edward Markey (D-MA) introduced the GND New Deal in 2019, researchers at the American Action Forum tallied up the potential costs, concluding that the plan would cost somewhere between $51 and $93 trillion, or $369,000 to $671,000 per American household.

In an attempt to clarify, moderator Chris Wallace asked Biden directly if he supported the GND. “No, I don’t support GND,” Biden responded, adding: “I support the Biden plan that I put forward, which is different than what he calls the radical green new deal.”

But Biden’s own description of his climate planrefers to the GND as a “a crucial framework for meeting the climate challenges we face.” Biden’s plan has the main goals of “net-zero emissions no later than 2050,” and “a 100% clean energy economy” for the U.S., both of which are GNDstipulations.

Biden’s campaign website adds that the GND “powerfully captures two basic truths, which are at the core of his plan: (1) the United States urgently needs to embrace greater ambition on an epic scale to meet the scope of this challenge, and (2) our environment and our economy are completely and totally connected.”

VERY FINE PEOPLE

Biden referred to the common narrative that President Trump referred to “very fine people on both sides” when speaking about the 2017 Charlottesville “Unite the Right Rally,” saying that the President’s comments on the matter were what motivated his own presidential run.

The narrative that President Trump was referring to the neo-Nazis present as “very fine people” has been widely criticized by those who point out that Trump was clearly referring to people who were opposed to the proposed removal of the statue of General Robert E. Lee from Charlottesville’s former Lee Park for historical reasons. He was not to those who participated in the march, identifying as “white nationalists.”

In February, the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania analyzed the quote, in context, and debunked Biden’s frequent characterization that Trump had never condemned white supremacists or neo-Nazis. Part of what the President said that day included an unequivocal condemnation of white supremacists:

“[A]nd I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally—but you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists, okay? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly. Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people, but you also had troublemakers and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets and with the baseball bats—you had a lot of bad people in the other group too.”

Moderator Wallace did not challenge the Vice President on this issue.

Continued below.
Presidential Debate Number One: A Biden Fact-Check. | Human Events

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟404,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"GREEN NEW DEAL"
[the “GND will pay for itself as we move forward.”]

I would love to see how they plan to pay for it.
The only thing Rep. and Dem. agree on is to spend more money,
but what to spend it on is still argued about.

The 2020 Long-Term Budget Outlook
The 2020 Long-Term Budget Outlook

They predict trillion-dollar deficits for decades to come.
This does not include the trillions of dollars that the government has
borrowed from its Social Security Trust Fund and other savings accounts.

Just the interest on this debt will soon exceed $1 trillion per year.

The Bible says, “The wicked borrows, and cannot pay back”,
and, “A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children’s
children …” (Proverbs 13:22).

In Deuteronomy 28, God warned that debt problems are
one of the many curses that come from disobedience.

Our National Debt And Government Spending Are A Moral Abomination
Our National Debt And Government Spending Are A Moral Abomination

America will be spending more on interest than on defense by 2033. If interest
rates on U.S. Treasury bonds increase, the nation could reach this point sooner.

Nations often fall apart when the cost of servicing their debts
exceeds the cost of defending their borders.

Upvote 0