Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
We really need to start a place here where people can come and learn about all the sides of origins theology without being caught in the middle of a firefight, getting hammered themselves, or being drowned in a morass of weird acronyms.

I don't know how that should be done. But does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking that we could tag certain threads as "newcomer" threads which would be more of neutral zones, like the restricted forums except that both sides would take any serious debate out. But I think that's a rather blatant approach?

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟210,643.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
or being drowned in a morass of weird acronyms.

This isn't quite what you're addressing, but I do think there needs to be a sticky thread explaining what the acronyms mean. Often when a newcomer arrives, one of the first things they do is ask what TE and YEC stand for.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do we currently have?

Vance's thread on the Full Spectrum of Believes that provides names and definitions for all the major origins positions, as well as a place for a person to self-identify.

We have the Kafeteria which serves as a neutral meeting ground, and I would like to think has been modestly successful in its purpose.

A 'READ ME FIRST!' FAQ would help I think, especially if it point to the Creationist and TE subforums, to CF WIKI articles already in existance and perhaps to certain threads in the main forum that cover important ground.

The question will be one of balance.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
i'm not sure if the answer is in getting more online for newcomers to read or trying to get them to read what already exists BEFORE they start threads.

it goes back to the idea that there ought to be required reading to answer threads and even more to start threads.
there, in the long run, needs to be a structured education program to raise the average knowledge base of everyone.

but just learning how to use the forums, search past threads, read the FAQ's and directed reading seems to overtax a significant number of newcomers. especially those who are only here for a post and run testimony to evolution=atheism and all you evilutionists are going to hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
i'm not sure if the answer is in getting more online for newcomers to read or trying to get them to read what already exists BEFORE they start threads.

it goes back to the idea that there ought to be required reading to answer threads and even more to start threads.
there, in the long run, needs to be a structured education program to raise the average knowledge base of everyone.

but just learning how to use the forums, search past threads, read the FAQ's and directed reading seems to overtax a significant number of newcomers. especially those who are only here for a post and run testimony to evolution=atheism and all you evilutionists are going to hell.

Point taken. But then again there are newcomers who genuinely have apologetics problems, etc.

Perhaps what would work is to have a Newcomers thread that looks like this:

1. Welcome note
2. List of various positions and acronyms.
3. One post each for each major position, with each post having a brief summary and lots of links for further reading.

How?

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.