• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

A Newbie Thread

Discussion in 'Golden Eagles (age 50 or older as of 2019)' started by clairefish, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Christmas child

Christmas child New Member

+44
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Thank you rebornfree. Many years ago I spent a year studying at Manchester Polytechnic (as it was called then) in Didsbury. I really enjoyed it and had lovely digs in Holmwood Road.

2. “Paisios”

“Paisios” Sinner Supporter

+4,517
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    My (step)mother studied in Glasgow in the 1960s...but the only part of Glasgow I know is Craiglang :tonguewink:.

3. Christmas child

+44
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Glasgow has changed such a lot over the years and I can't remember Craiglang. My family lived in north Glasgow for many years and in the centre of Glasgow (Townhead) before that.

4. “Paisios”

“Paisios” Sinner Supporter

+4,517
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    “Craiglang” is a fictional part of Glasgow, not a real place. It is the setting for the sitcom “Still Game”.

5. Christmas child

+44
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    ... I was too slow on the uptake, Paisios, as I have never watched Still Game! No wonder I didn't recognize Craiglang.

Many blessings to you, Paisios.

6. rebornfree

rebornfree Senior Veteran Supporter

+13,483
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    I wonder if that is Manchester Metropolitan University now. I know Didsbury, though not very well. We moved up here in the 80s, before then we were in the Midlands, but I spent most of my youth in the south.

7. Christmas child

+44
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Yes, rebornfree, I think Manchester Polytechnic became part of Manchester Metropolitan University. I'm sure Manchester has changed a lot since my year there. The church I went to was called Ivy Cottage and it was close to college and to my digs.

C-child x

8. A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress New Member

+18
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    I'm a newbie here! Finally, a place where I can post a reply! Some of the threads I've tried to post on said I had "insufficient permissions"???
    Anyway, my name is Mary and I'm 64. I'm a mom, a grandmother, and a great grandmother! I'm also a widow. My husband has been gone for 9 years as of this month. I miss him desperately but I know that one day, we'll be together again!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Christmas child

+44
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Welcome, Mary. I am quite new here myself and have found the forums helpful and really welcoming - hope it is the same for you.

Best wishes from
    C child

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. rebornfree

+13,483
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    Hi Mary, welcome to GE. :)

I can remember something about having insufficient something or others, but it's 15 years since I joined CF and I've forgotten what it was! I was having a difficult time then, my husband having left, but I found being part of this group and having people to communicate with helpful. I hope you find us a friendly bunch and enjoy your time here.

11. bluegot

bluegot New Member

+47
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Single
    Hello all. I am new to this board. I will be turning 60 soon. These past few years I have been hungry for Christian fellowship. I was on another Christian forum for a long time, however it has been down for months now, so I joined this one. I really would love to meet folks my age. One of the problems I have at my church is that everything is centered around the kids. There isn't anything for people my age and that is disappointing. Do any of you attend a church that has fellowship for folks our age? I was thinking of trying to start something, would welcome ideas. Thank you and I hope to find friends here!

12. musicalpilgrim

musicalpilgrim pilgrim on the sacred music pathway Angels Team Supporter

+30,495
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Hi and welcome to the forum in Jesus name it's a great place to be for fellowship with other Christians :)
    I spend time on the Pentecostal forum and the prayer wall, and of course here.
    It is such an amazing forum with something for everyone. Do spend time exploring.

13. rebornfree

+13,483
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    Hi bluegot, welcome from me too. :) I hope you find the fellowship you are looking for here. We are quite a wide age-group on GE, from 50 to 80s (unless there's someone older I don't know about :D). I'm 70 and have been a member since my mid-fifties, and am usually found on GE although I look at other parts of CF as well.

As for Church fellowship for 50s + I know some churches have them. I was younger at the time so I don't know what they did. How about starting with a social event, (e.g. Sunday lunch) and asking people for their ideas about a group for older people?

14. bluegot

bluegot New Member

+47
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Single
    Thank you rebornfree! That is a great suggestion!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  15. Lynda Layton

Lynda Layton New Member

+4
    United States
    Christian
    Widowed
    CA-Conservatives
    Hi, Clairefish!
    And, speaking of fish,
    I've been wandering around this site,
    like a lost puppy[dog-] fish,
    feeling like a Facebook-Twitter
    fish-out-of water!

Following several unfruitful clicks on "Introduce Yourself", I was just about to 'call-it-a-day'. But, then, seeing your post gave me fresh hope and just what I needed to feel 'warmly-wecomed'! THANK YOU!

YaHMéN. Life is good, and our Heavenly Father IS GOOD!
    I want to soar with the Eagles ~ the Golden Eagles, that is! I'm looking very much forward to our fellowship together!

Abundant Blessings!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  16. musicalpilgrim

musicalpilgrim pilgrim on the sacred music pathway Angels Team Supporter

+30,495
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Hi Lynda, great to meet you, welcome to the forum in Jesus name. Although a golden eagle, I spend time on the Pentecostal forum and also praying for people on the Prayer Wall. It is such a big site with something for everyone and lots of Christian fellowship. :)

17. rebornfree

+13,483
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    Welcome Lynda, I hope you enjoy your time here. I have been a member for 15 years and have found this to be a friendly forum. It changes over time as new members like different things, but I have always found it a relatively peaceful place. I hope you find your way around CF - so many forums to look at - and welcome to this part of it. :wave:

18. Joy

Joy Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,868
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Hi

I'm 60 and been on CF since 2004 (seems long time)
    am writing here as I would like some friends. I live in the UK and all my family have died, I do have a few friends but must confess at times I get lonely.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List