Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi.
Sep 17, 2008
✟7,792.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone !

I have a few worries that have sprung up lately. Seemingly out of no-where. I haven't really spoken with anyone about them. Just kept them to myself really. I'm hoping speaking with people on here may help. :)

I'm a born again Catholic as it were. I was baptised as a child, but I never really grew up in the Church. It was only a couple of years ago that I had my conversion and started going to Mass.

I decided this year that I was ready to enter into full communion with the Church. So I entered into the RCIA course, which has been very fun indeed. :)

As you all know, it's very close to Easter, and in my case Confirmation. It's this short space of time left that has started my worries. :(

I feel...very far from Him. Very distant. I'm not sure how else I could explain it, but it's really bringing me down. It sucks.

I'm not sure whether it's just the weight of my sins dragging me down or possibly just a lack of focus on my part, but it's really getting to me. Maybe a lack of worth in myself. Either way I feel empty.

I'm determined not to despair however, as I know this won't help at all. Plus it will just be another sin to add to the list. I trust completely in His mercy. I just want to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation badly. I'm hoping it will bring back that spark I had a few years ago.

Until that time though I don't know what to do with myself.

Feels good to get it off my chest though. :)

Reactions: JoabAnias

G-Com

Traditional Catholic
Nov 7, 2008
Trenton, OH
✟17,122.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone !

I have a few worries that have sprung up lately. Seemingly out of no-where. I haven't really spoken with anyone about them. Just kept them to myself really. I'm hoping speaking with people on here may help. :)

I'm a born again Catholic as it were. I was baptised as a child, but I never really grew up in the Church. It was only a couple of years ago that I had my conversion and started going to Mass.

I decided this year that I was ready to enter into full communion with the Church. So I entered into the RCIA course, which has been very fun indeed. :)

As you all know, it's very close to Easter, and in my case Confirmation. It's this short space of time left that has started my worries. :(

I feel...very far from Him. Very distant. I'm not sure how else I could explain it, but it's really bringing me down. It sucks.

I'm not sure whether it's just the weight of my sins dragging me down or possibly just a lack of focus on my part, but it's really getting to me. Maybe a lack of worth in myself. Either way I feel empty.

I'm determined not to despair however, as I know this won't help at all. Plus it will just be another sin to add to the list. I trust completely in His mercy. I just want to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation badly. I'm hoping it will bring back that spark I had a few years ago.

Until that time though I don't know what to do with myself.

Feels good to get it off my chest though. :)
You're just anxious. I am, too. April 11th can't come too soon.

Just read your Bible and go to Mass and ask questions and gain support and strength from your RCIA teachers and sponsor. It helped in my case.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It is a dark part of the walk home where you feel distant from God. It happens. You will come through it stronger. We all go through it in some way, shape or form. It happens with more than a few as they get close to returning.

Pray, bear with it and know we are here for you. There is no Easter Sunday without a Good Friday. And there are many little and big Good Fridays in our lives when our crosses become heavy and God feels distant.

He is not...but your love for Him continues even when you feel distant or without Him. And when He returns...it is all the stronger.

My prayers. I have been through this, not returning to the Church...but a time when I felt God was distant from me. My advice is turn to Mary. That is what helped me.

When there is trial I think of the young girl of Nazareth. How an angel came and gave her such news. How she gave her total will to the plan of the Lord. And the Joy at the Birth of Christ. The joy of watching Him grow in wisdom as He aged. And then I think of the mother at the foot of the cross. The woman given news by an angel is watching her Son die. If anyone in all of human history could have said God was distant from her and said: "I was lied to...is this Your promise?" It was her at that moment and the moment later when she held Her Son who gave His life for the world. The first to hold Him to her heart in this world and also the last. A mother and child. One saved and the savior. And at that moment she did not abandon Him as her child or her Savior, no matter how distant God seemed. Can I, in my life...do any less with that example? With that guidance?

When I felt God was distant I thought on that and on Mary and prayed. And she helped me through. When we feel He is distant...the mother can always find the Son.

Reactions: JoabAnias
Upvote 0

Rois

Be strong and take heart
Dec 27, 2008
✟8,268.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a little black book or a small prayer book? It can help to set up a practice (even if it just seems like a "routine" some days, it still is good) of setting aside a few minutes every day to read something, reflect, pray, or think about God. Anything to fill the emptiness you're feeling, go slow if you need to. Faith needs to be feed, well for me at least, it doesn't just emerge and get strong without daily "attention" so to speak. You know, nor does it have to be a formal or verbal thing---go somewhere where you feel God's presence and be still, that's a good step.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I don't know if this would help, but I really think that there are always heavy trials right before conversion. (or reversion). I'm becoming Catholic on Easter and I'm going through some really heavy spiritual trials right now. Don't fear.. that's how God is preparing you spiritually. Just trust in Him. Don't give up... He is there. Even if you don't feel Him.. this has a purpose.

It can also be attacks from the enemy.

In either case, I'm sure it will end once Easter comes and you'll receive the Eucharist :)

God bless you :hug:

Upvote 0

Chi Rho

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi.
Sep 17, 2008
✟7,792.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Wow ! Thank you so much for all your replies everyone. It means alot to me. :)

In a way, not to be rude, but I'm glad that it's not just me that's going/gone through it. It feels really good that I have words of encouragement from my brothers and sisters, that I'm not alone. ;)

I shan't lose hope, and shall 'carry this cross' as Davidnic says. I do pray the Rosary fairly frequently, and for Lent I bought a copy of the Divine Office which I thought might be good for meditation. Should help lots.

Thank you all again. I'm joyful now. Hee !!! :D

Oh ! Good luck and happiness to G-Com and Monica at Easter. I'm very excited for you. :)

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
These threads pop up every year at this time :) Hang in there...it's a very normal part of the journey home.

And I wouldn't be me if I didn't add that faith has nothing to do with feelings whatsoever. Having no feeling with your faith is a very blessed thing, indeed, because you learn how to do things purely for the love and honor of God, and not because they are satisfying to you in some way. Faith hinges upon learning to persevere in the desert, learning how to trust that though the storm is raging around you --that at a word Jesus can speak, "Peace" and all will grow quiet.

Prayers for the last leg of this part of your journey...and and for the new beginning you are about to embark upon!

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The sacraments will take all that "bad feeling" away.

:amen: I know this from experience. Sometimes the weight of my sins gets me down and going to reconciliation and receiving the Eucharist always helps a lot!

Of course, part of the problem could be psychological. So if the feelings continue for a long time, it would be advisable to speak with your priest or possibly a good Catholic counselor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

G-Com

Traditional Catholic
Nov 7, 2008
Trenton, OH
✟17,122.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow ! Thank you so much for all your replies everyone. It means alot to me. :)

In a way, not to be rude, but I'm glad that it's not just me that's going/gone through it. It feels really good that I have words of encouragement from my brothers and sisters, that I'm not alone. ;)

I shan't lose hope, and shall 'carry this cross' as Davidnic says. I do pray the Rosary fairly frequently, and for Lent I bought a copy of the Divine Office which I thought might be good for meditation. Should help lots.

Thank you all again. I'm joyful now. Hee !!! :D

Oh ! Good luck and happiness to G-Com and Monica at Easter. I'm very excited for you. :)
Thank you. :)

See! I told you it was just a case of nerves. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.