German Guy

Lover of my Wife
Jan 17, 2012
✟7,696.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Does the bible teach a flat earth? After studying this topic I've personally come to the conclusion that yes , the bible does teach a flat, enclosed, geocentric earth. Instead of me posting all the bible verses pro-flat earth, I would like to hear the verses against the flat earth. Or even evidence outside from the bible.

Reactions: Dkh587

Shempster

ImJustMe
Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't really need any verses. All you have to do is look at the tens of thousands of pictures of the earth from the space station and you can see that it is round. Plus if you stand on the shores in Florida you should easily see Africa but you cannot because of the curvature of the earth.
I have seen lots of info and it sounds fascinating but its simply not true.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does the bible teach a flat earth?

The Bible describes the earth in many ways just as we say north, south, east, and west
though no matter which way we point, we are just pointing back at ourselves.

Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's perfectly clear that if one travels in the same direction continuously and ends up back where they started proves that the Earth is round. Long before we had pictures of the earth from space men of understanding KNEW that the Earth was spherical.

When traveling long distances, mountains or other structures that stand up higher then the land around them, do not appear as small objects and get bigger. the tips of the top shows up first and then more and more of the base comes into view. This clearly shows the curvature of the spherical Earth.

If you were in the dessert, when coming upon the pyramids, they wouldn't show up as tiny pyramids in the distance. They would first show up by one seeing their very peaks 'first' and then as they get closer and closer, more and more of base. Only 'then' would the entire structure get bigger and bigger.

And not only do we have pictures taken from space that clearly show the shape of the Earth, there are websites one can visit that track all the known satellites positions and orbits. This shows a spherical Earth and one that has a ring around it that looks like Saturn. Yep, there are that many up there. If aliens were to pass by the Earth they would probably think it to be a galactic 'junk yard'.

Blessings,

MEC

Reactions: jacksknight
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There is an interesting tale of President Kruger of the Zuid Afrikaanse Republiek in 1890 who met a man who had just sailed around the earth.
He replied that this was impossible as the Bible clearly says the world is flat, so the man had to have sailed in circles.

I find the idea that people in the 21st century still think the world is flat quite remarkable, I had never heard of this. Greco-Roman civilization has held, at least in educated circles, that the world was round since the 6th century BC.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,877.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Does the bible teach a flat earth? After studying this topic I've personally come to the conclusion that yes , the bible does teach a flat, enclosed, geocentric earth. Instead of me posting all the bible verses pro-flat earth, I would like to hear the verses against the flat earth. Or even evidence outside from the bible.

It is plausible, after all, if you read all references to Earth in the Bible, it may actually be referring to our whole Galaxy as the Earth.

The Earth planet doesn't have four corners but our galaxy does! The corners of our galaxy were clearly defined by the four major arms of our spiral galaxy - this is where the ancient symbol swastika was derived from.

As for other non-Christian ancient cultures, the "mother goddess" worship isn't about "mother Earth" as planet. Ancient drawings clearly show the outlines of our own Milky Way Galaxy.

Stars don't fall down to a planet.....But it does literally fall down on a galaxy!

Upvote 0

German Guy

Lover of my Wife
Jan 17, 2012
✟7,696.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You don't really need any verses. All you have to do is look at the tens of thousands of pictures of the earth from the space station and you can see that it is round. Plus if you stand on the shores in Florida you should easily see Africa but you cannot because of the curvature of the earth.

Look at all the photos of the earth, there is only 1 real pic. All earth pictures from NASA are cgi, they admitted that
Another flat earth troll? Been seeing a lot of this on CF lately.

It is so outrageous a theory that one wonders if these posters are people who are trying to make Bible-onlyist Christians appear more ridiculous than they already are.
a flat earth troll? What am I trolling for? If we read the bible and do some word studies we see we live on a flat earth. Nasa admits that all of their pics are cgi generated. Neil Tyson Degrasse admitted that the earth isn't truly round so ALL the pictures are faked.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is an interesting tale of President Kruger of the Zuid Afrikaanse Republiek in 1890 who met a man who had just sailed around the earth.
He replied that this was impossible as the Bible clearly says the world is flat, so the man had to have sailed in circles.

I find the idea that people in the 21st century still think the world is flat quite remarkable, I had never heard of this. Greco-Roman civilization has held, at least in educated circles, that the world was round since the 6th century BC.

If you use the terms "Sunrise" and "Sunset", then you are describing a flat earth. Nasa does this.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

NASA also suggests that the sun and moon rise and set.
There are no "earth-turn" descriptions.
SO man has always described things as they seem, even in scripture.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Evidence outside the Bible? OK. Timezones. [/thread].

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

German Guy

Lover of my Wife
Jan 17, 2012
✟7,696.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Here is a file with curvature calculations, These calculations come from a globe map. The distances of which we can still see objects should be impossible.

Attachments

• earth-curve-calcuation.jpg
    earth-curve-calcuation.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0

German Guy

Lover of my Wife
Jan 17, 2012
✟7,696.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You explain it, then? If it's day here, and night there, how does that work if the world's flat?
ok.very easy way to explain day and night. Take a plate, shine a small pen light on the plate from an angle and move the light around the plate. One side will be illuminated, one side not.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ok.very easy way to explain day and night. Take a plate, shine a small pen light on the plate from an angle and move the light around the plate. One side will be illuminated, one side not.
That wasn't what I asked. I asked about different time zones, which by the way wouldn't progress evenly if the Earth were "plate shaped" Further, if the Earth WAS plate shaped, show me the edge? Where can I stand and look over and see it mid day on one side, and midnight on the other?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

German Guy

Lover of my Wife
Jan 17, 2012
✟7,696.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That wasn't what I asked. I asked about different time zones, which by the way wouldn't progress evenly if the Earth were "plate shaped" Further, if the Earth WAS plate shaped, show me the edge? Where can I stand and look over and see it mid day on one side, and midnight on the other?
you asked about day and night, I answered about day and night. The U.S. Has different time zones within it, is the U.S. Ball shaped then?
if the earth was a ball, when you looked out you should be looking into space since the earth curves down and away from you. If you want to see the edge then you'll need to travel to Antarctica, odd thing is though, the military doesn't allow it.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Armoured, Robert Sungenis is the strongest catholic defender around, you being catholic should search his material. He believes in an enclosed, geocentric, flat earth. Prof. Dr. Michael Heisser goes indepth on the topic.
You can fly to antarctica on commercial airliners, and go there on cruise ships. If it's night time here in Australia, and day time there in Germany, then if your "plate" theory were accurate, there'd have to be an edge between you and me, right? Well, how come none of the many people who've travelled from Australia to Germany have ever noticed it?

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
To all the flat earthers, I mean no offence. I find your belief interesting.

Please explain the following to me then:
1. How does the electromagnetic field around the earth form then? If induced we would need two poles, which we would not have in a flat earth or it would function radically differently.
2. Why would a compass point north? Is there a giant iron mountain at the north pole?
3. How does the world look then? Where does the globe cease? Is Antarctica fiction then, with the world around the north pole? Or is Jerusalem the centre of the flat earth?
4. How does gravity function? Standard physics requires a central point in large bodies (generally circular) to cause the gravitational pull or a common point between two close bodies (as between the earth and the moon). Do you thus reject Newtonian Physics (and thus Relativity theory as a descendant thereof)? If so, how can atomic energy and nuclear weapons thus exist?
5. Explain why the angle between a beam of sunlight within a pit and the oblique beam outside a pit denote a curvature?
6. Please explain the effect where the top of a large object appears first then the base as previously alluded to in this thread. How would this occur?
7. Do you believe in rotating heavenly spheres with the planets, sun and moon attached as had been historically held? Or are the moon and sun then spheres rotating around the earth via gravitational pull? If so, how do you explain eclipses and their ilk?

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
you asked about day and night, I answered about day and night. The U.S. Has different time zones within it, is the U.S. Ball shaped then?
if the earth was a ball, when you looked out you should be looking into space since the earth curves down and away from you. If you want to see the edge then you'll need to travel to Antarctica, odd thing is though, the military doesn't allow it.

I know three people that have gone to Antarctica personally. Two lived there for 6 months and one visited the South Pole. All civilians.

Upvote 0