✟15,285.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok Acsycthian, I've got a question.

If the Earth is flat, where are the "edges" located? I assume you agree with the fact that there are 7 continents, and that their positions as depicted on maps are accurate. So where are the edges? Since people sailed from Europe to North America, I can assume they are not in the middle of the Atlantic. So the Pacific, then? But people have also sailed from North America to Asia (and vice versa). So again, where are the edges?

Here's a generic map of the world; where would the edges be?

He's said that the earth is laid out like the UN flag, with the north pole in the center and Antarctica encircling the globe. In my last post I challenged this flat model in a way that would prove it true or false that has not yet been replied to.

(I would post links and pictures but my stupid post count isn't high enough so the forum won't let me)

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
He's said that the earth is laid out like the UN flag, with the north pole in the center and Antarctica encircling the globe. In my last post I chalenged this flat model in a way that would prove it true or false that has not yet been replied to.

(I would post links and pictures but my stupid post count isn't high enough so the forum won't let me)

He told me there was a huge ocean around the edges. Guess he can't keep his "story" straight.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
He's said that the earth is laid out like the UN flag, with the north pole in the center and Antarctica encircling the globe. In my last post I challenged this flat model in a way that would prove it true or false that has not yet been replied to.

Oh, OK. Then he can address my point based on this map:

arctic-ocean-map.gif

And if indeed the North Pole is at the center, I'd like to hear his explanation about why it's so much colder, and why it has more seasonal extremes in terms of daylight hours. Also, aurora borealis.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ancient Egyptians, Akkadians, Babylonians, Chinese, Hebrews, Norse, Celts and Romans also believed in flat earth.
So did cavemen.

I guess they also didn't know any better...
Neither did cavemen.

You are following a fallacy, that being the evolutionist assumption that says man got greater with knowledge over time, when the opposite is the truth. The ancients were forebearers of superior knowledge, the Pyramids and megaliths across the earth are testimony of this. Modern man has no idea how these things were built. The same is also found in many other areas, modern man can not recover the better knowledge the ancients had. The evolutionist assumption, is completely wrong and is contradicted by history.
There are no "evolutionist assumptions" in the determination that the earth is a sphere. This was discovered long before evolution was accepted by the scientific community. How can a theory be "contradicted by history?" This would mean that demons make people sick, Zeus can turn into a swan and rape women, that phlogiston is responsible for combuston, and that alchemists can turn iron into gold. Do you think that "The Lightning Thief" is a documentary?

I noticed on your profile your job says you are working with 'plants'. This probably explains your lack of knowledge on history. I would suggest, next time you are at your local library you educate yourself on the basics of ancient history, starting with the earliest classical geographers and philosophers (all believed in flat earth).
I know plenty about history and mythology. I just don't consider the Story of Cronus castrating his father Uranus as "history."

Then come back and try and debate me on this topic.
There is no "debate." There is you wasting everyone's time with nonsense. It was amusing at first, but not any more.

You can go any direction. I don't see what this has to do with flat earth, you are thinking wrongly that the belief in flat earth requires the landmasses not to be be encircling, when they do. Therefore you can get to any place from any direction.
This is false. If the earth is flat, you certainly cannot get to any place from any direction.

Show us a photo of the edge of the earth. Show us a photo of the flat earth from the sky.
Otherwise, stop wasting peoples' time here.

Upvote 0

Asycthian

Feb 13, 2010
✟298.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Ok Acsycthian, I've got a question.

If the Earth is flat, where are the "edges" located? I assume you agree with the fact that there are 7 continents, and that their positions as depicted on maps are accurate. So where are the edges? Since people sailed from Europe to North America, I can assume they are not in the middle of the Atlantic. So the Pacific, then? But people have also sailed from North America to Asia (and vice versa). So again, where are the edges?

Here's a generic map of the world; where would the edges be?

world-map.gif

The land on earth is encircling. The edges are simply beyond the ocean that surrounds the land. You have just pasted a flat earth rectangle map. Odd indeed, that you (and others) have mocked flat earth but now resort to pasting flat earth rectangle maps in here.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
The land on earth is encircling. The edges are simply beyond the ocean that surrounds the land. You have just pasted a flat earth rectangle map. Odd indeed, that you (and others) have mocked flat earth but now resort to pasting flat earth rectangle maps in here.

But we've sailed all the oceans from one continent to another, in myriad directions. Why haven't we come to an edge yet?

And until computer screens come with 3D capabilities, 2D maps will have to suffice.

Another question: if the Earth is flat, why do no images taken from high altitudes (from space or otherwise) show the entire collection of continents? Why do they only show, at best, half of the Earth?

Upvote 0

Asycthian

Feb 13, 2010
✟298.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
He's said that the earth is laid out like the UN flag, with the north pole in the center and Antarctica encircling the globe. In my last post I chalenged this flat model in a way that would prove it true or false that has not yet been replied to.

Nowhere have i mentioned a UN flag. Now you atheists are just being dishonest.

What you've done is Googled flat earth and discovered the FES' model of flat earth, in which they say a block of ice surrounds the entire earth and compare it to the UN flag. I don't believe this and never have. The cosmology model i follow is what the Bible teaches:

Job 26: 10: ''He has inscribed a circle on the face of the waters...''

This is the similar as it appears in Greek mythology, as 'Oceanus', the world encircling Ocean.

Upvote 0

Friendly.Atheist

Feb 20, 2010
✟15,285.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's hard to make a 3d shape pop out of a 2d computer screen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Friendly.Atheist

Feb 20, 2010
✟15,285.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nowhere have i mentioned a UN flag. Now you atheists are just being dishonest.

What you've done is Googled flat earth and discovered the FES' model of flat earth, in which they say a block of ice surrounds the entire earth and compare it to the UN flag. I don't believe this and never have. The cosmology model i follow is what the Bible teaches:

This is the similar as it appears in Greek mythology, as 'Oceanus', the world encircling Ocean.
I never visited the FES website. I'm just going off what I've read here.
You say you don't think the north pole is at the center of the world and the continents circle around it? Explain to us what you do think then. Use pictures please.

And I am still waiting for a response to that post a little ways back with the math in it.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
The cosmology model i follow is what the Bible teaches:

First, "inscribed" does not necessarily imply an impassable edge.

Second, waters don't have faces, silly.

Upvote 0

Asycthian

Feb 13, 2010
✟298.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
So did cavemen.

Again, following that evolutionist assumption, this time that cavemen actually existed (when they didn't).

Neither did cavemen.

See above.

Stop following the evolutionist assumption, then perhaps you would understand how a flat earth is possible, but at the moment you are so far deep and brainwashed with a distorted view of history and reality.

There are no "evolutionist assumptions" in the determination that the earth is a sphere.

Flat earth belief pre-dated the idea the earth is a sphere. So yes, modern believers ina round spherical or 'globe' earth are following the evolutionist assumption that the earliest geographers were wrong, and had to be corrected with their flat earth models.

How can a theory be "contradicted by history?" This would mean that demons make people sick, Zeus can turn into a swan and rape women, that phlogiston is responsible for combuston, and that alchemists can turn iron into gold. Do you think that "The Lightning Thief" is a documentary?

Obviously this is a waste of time, since you will never break outside of the evolutionist assumption. This is why you fail at understanding what i've said. You think ancient man was primitive, your ancestors were apes, and the earth is billions of years...

I know plenty about history and mythology. I just don't consider the Story of Cronus castrating his father Uranus as "history."

I covered euhemerism in another thread, the story of Uranus and Kronos, has historical truth to it, though no one claims to follow pagan mythology literally. Not even modern pagans do.

This is false. If the earth is flat, you certainly cannot get to any place from any direction.

This is false. And you will repeat this claim, since you have failed to prove your belief the earth is round. Or you will resort to the 'poe' claims. You probably resort to that while in creation vs evolution threads as well.

Atheists/evolutionists can not debate properly.

Show us a photo of the edge of the earth. Show us a photo of the flat earth from the sky. Otherwise, stop wasting peoples' time here.

Photos arn't evidence for anything. Remember Piltdown? You evolutionists took photos of that for years, then it was revealed it was all a hoax.

Upvote 0

Asycthian

Feb 13, 2010
✟298.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
I never visited the FES website. I'm just going off what I've read here.
You say you don't think the north pole is at the center of the world and the continents circle around it? Explain to us what you do think then. Use pictures please.

And I am still waiting for a response to that post a little ways back with the math in it.

How old are you? I will answer your maths in another post.

I believe the North Pole (axis Mundi) is at the centre of the earth. What i disagree with is the silly FES belief there is an ''ice wall'' surrounding the earth, this isn't realistic and is fantasy. What surrounds the earth is an Ocean, and the Bible makes this clear. Beyond that is the firmament barrier.

FES ice wall believers have based their belief from Josephus (who i have already quoted from). He was an early Jewish-historian (like Philo) who wrote that ice surrounded the earth. Other creationists have tried to equate this to a 'water canopy theory'. I don't subscribe to this view or belief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Photos arn't evidence for anything. Remember Piltdown? You evolutionists took photos of that for years, then it was revealed it was all a hoax.

Maybe not, but you could still at least show them. People who supported Piltdown man were able to show photos to support their claim. People who support a round Earth are able to show photos to support their claim. People who support evolution are able to show photos to support their claim. Even for these alleged hoaxes, people can show phoots to support their claims. Why can't you? Especially if you are right. Even if we round-Earthers won't accept them, you could still show them.

Come on, just one single photo that demonstrates a flat Earth is all I ask.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I believe the North Pole (axis Mundi) is at the centre of the earth. What i disagree with is the silly FES belief there is an ''ice wall'' surrounding the earth, this isn't realistic and is fantasy. What surrounds the earth is an Ocean, and the Bible makes this clear. Beyond that is the firmament barrier.

If the North Pole is at the center of the Earth, why is it colder? Why does it have extreme seasonal differences in length of daylight? Why does it have aurora borealis?

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟405,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe not, but you could still at least show them. People who supported Piltdown man were able to show photos to support their claim. People who support a round Earth are able to show photos to support their claim. People who support evolution are able to show photos to support their claim. Even for these alleged hoaxes, people can show phoots to support their claims. Why can't you? Especially if you are right. Even if we round-Earthers won't accept them, you could still show them.

Come on, just one single photo that demonstrates a flat Earth is all I ask.

FlatEarth.jpg

edgeofearth.jpg

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
evolutionist assumption

evolutionist assumption,

evolutionist assumption.
You need a larger vocabulary.

Flat earth belief pre-dated the idea the earth is a sphere. So yes, modern believers ina round spherical or 'globe' earth are following the evolutionist assumption that the earliest geographers were wrong, and had to be corrected with their flat earth models.
The sperical earth pre-dated evolution. Therefore the Spherical earth cannot be an evolutionist assumption no matter how many times you repeat this as a mantra. Is this really hard for you to understand?

This is false. And you will repeat this claim, since you have failed to prove your belief the earth is round. Or you will resort to the 'poe' claims. You probably resort to that while in creation vs evolution threads as well.
Show us a diagram depicting this. Surely some dead Greek you idolize must have drawn one.

The fossils themselves were real. They were just altered to make them look like something they were not. The fact might have been photographed is irrelevant. Like your arguments.

What surrounds the earth is an Ocean, and the Bible makes this clear. Beyond that is the firmament barrier.
Show Us This Firmament Barrier. Show us the edge of this ocean. Surely you went there and took some photos. Last chance. :wave:

Upvote 0