United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Spiritual Formation & Disciplines Statement of Purpose
is a non-debate sub-forum of CF specifically outlined in this portion of the SoP > [Any discussions about Scripture and Christian theology should be done in a spirit of love and humility, exhibiting mutual respect and grace towards one another, with the goal of increasing spiritual insight and knowledge with the Holy Spirit's guidance. Discussions should not turn into a heated debate. Members who participate in this forum are not here to win an argument or prove a point, they are here to learn from one another and grow spiritually. We would like this forum to remain a safe place where Christian members from all denominations may learn more about the spiritual disciplines and encourage one another in the practice of these disciplines.]

Please edit and remain within the spirit of dialogue provided above or I will be obliged to have the thread locked and reviewed for posts that violate the sub-forums SoP.

DB03CB96-1C0D-44B6-875C-4EA420EE54C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OSAS 101

May 27, 2013
✟34,288.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
not sure how you cannot know that flaming is to reinvent another posters words and ideas just to argue with the person or insight them to anger but cool...hopefully we can continue with some meaningful discussion.
What does flaming mean?
Is that some kind of sexual word?

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Corinthians 10:13 There has no temptation taken you but such as is common to man but God is faithful who will not suffer you to be tempted above that you are able but will with the temptation also make the way of escape that you may be able to bear it.

Galatians 5:16 Walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

These are promises of God that we can lay hold of.
Has anybody ever accomplished not sinning apart from Christ? Doubtful, but I would never say impossible unless God says something is impossible.

• Winner
Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Has anybody ever accomplished not sinning apart from Christ? Doubtful, but I would never say impossible unless God says something is impossible.

Not sinning apart from Christ? Hummm, Apart from Christ ....NO.

Rom. 3:23
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Rom. 5:12
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Too easy my dear sir!
Did you have a bad thought about someone?
Did you dislike someone for giving you a hard time?
Were you upset with your wife/mother/son/friend because they did something you didn't agree with?
etc etc etc

Are you aware that Jesus raised the bar (or is it lowered??) when He said in

Mathew 5:20
New American Standard Bible
"For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven."

What does this mean?

Praise God that Jesus has your back.
We all sin every day.
God is a Holy God.
The 10 Commandments are only the beginning.
It wasn't hard to surpass the righteousness of the Pharisees and scribes, dear lady. They obeyed their own rules, and there were many, but not those of the Lord.

As for you and me, the Lord gave us a few commandments to obey. Obey them. If we do, our lives are transformed.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't hard to surpass the righteousness of the Pharisees and scribes, dear lady. They obeyed their own rules, and there were many, but not those of the Lord.

As for you and me, the Lord gave us a few commandments to obey. Obey them. If we do, our lives are transformed.
I agree. Also, the Pharisees did not do from the heart.
They were prideful, perhaps the number one sin.
Egotism is the toss up...both lead to other sins.

Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think this thread contains a lot of misunderstandings. We are talking past one another - I think. The whole story is found in 1 John 1.

6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

If we are in Christ - we do not walk in continual willful sin. Period. If we act in that way, we need to seriously examine whether we are in the faith at all. Implied in the "fellowship with Him" is that it is the grace of God that empowers us to no longer walk in the sin we used to.

HOWEVER ....

8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

Remember this is written to believers, not to unbelievers who are not in the faith. We DO sin, we continue to sin. If we say we have no sin - we lie to ourselves. This IS an ongoing state, which is why we need to continue to confess our sins, so that we can be continually cleansed.

We shouldn't go about robbing people at gunpoint. God has given us the power to overcome sin. But none of us are perfect, and completely free from sin (exactly like Christ yet), nor can we expect will will be during this life.

I think that is the major cause of misunderstanding?

Peace to all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree. Also, the Pharisees did not do from the heart.
They were prideful, perhaps the number one sin.
Egotism is the toss up...both lead to other sins.
Amen. Pride seems to get the best of a lot of people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What does flaming mean?
Flaming is an attitude during an online argument usually involving personal attacks, insults, etc. It is against CF rules.

The best way to avoid flaming is not to address the poster but to address the ideas.

We should not say

"You seem to think ... "
"You are ..."
etc.

Rather it is better to say

"The idea that xyz seems to imply ..."
"I don't agree with xyz because abc ..."

We don't have to agree with each other always. And we shouldn't try to force anyone to agree with us. But we should be discussing ideas, not making it personal about the one making posts we might not agree with.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Outside of being in a coma (which I'm sure some people would consider sinful for some reason), can a full-grown adult be spiritually disciplined enough to go one or more consecutive days without sinning inwardly and outwardly?
I would love to go an hour without sinning...indeed a minute, or even a second...yet am grateful for forgiveness and the possibility of the same.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
can a full-grown adult be spiritually disciplined enough to go one or more consecutive days without sinning inwardly and outwardly?

My guess is that none even come close.

Although some (in their own mind) think they are pretty righteous.

One (little) wrong thought towards my neighbor blows it for that day.

A slip of the tongue verbally or deep inside my mind towards my wife -- blew it for that day.

A quick look at a very pretty girl with not spiritually completely pure thoughts -- there goes that one.

Man this could be a long list.
And we are only talking about one day.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

OSAS 101

May 27, 2013
✟34,288.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Flaming is an attitude during an online argument usually involving personal attacks, insults, etc. It is against CF rules.

The best way to avoid flaming is not to address the poster but to address the ideas.

We should not say

"You seem to think ... "
"You are ..."
etc.

Rather it is better to say

"The idea that xyz seems to imply ..."
"I don't agree with xyz because abc ..."

We don't have to agree with each other always. And we shouldn't try to force anyone to agree with us. But we should be discussing ideas, not making it personal about the one making posts we might not agree with.
Thanks
You're okay

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Outside of being in a coma (which I'm sure some people would consider sinful for some reason), can a full-grown adult be spiritually disciplined enough to go one or more consecutive days without sinning inwardly and outwardly?
Yes, it is possible, but the key is we have to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5)

I would like to stress that having a sinful thought simply coming across our mind is not a sin, since the enemy can plant negative and sinful thoughts on our mind to tempt us into sinning. It is what we do with the sinful thought that can cause us to sin or not to sin, whether we outright reject it and dismiss it, not letting it have a chance to grow, or, cultivate that thought and let it take root in our heart.

But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death. (James 1:14-15 NASB)​

Having said that, it is easier not to sin if we live alone and do not need to interact with people. So if a person spends a day praying and fasting, meditates on God's word day and night (Psalm 1:2) without any interaction with anyone, and pays attention to their own thoughts, yes, it is possible for that person not to sin for one or more consecutive days.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
X
Is there anything too hard for God? Tell me one thing that God can't do? Anything?

If you can't find anything, how can one say that God is not capable of completely moving sin from ones life?

All of my sin is on the cross.....that is Good News for a wretched sinner like me who can’t go 5 minutes without sinning.Sin is in our DNA.We are not sinners because we sin—- we sin because we are sinners.Those who think they have somehow risen above it are deluded.I don’t know who they think they are fooling.If people knew me the way God does, they would want nothing to do with me.We all have secret thoughts that would shame Hell.The deluded are no different than me.We should admit the ugly truths about ourselves and thank God for His Amazing Grace and love. When we sin we should do the same thing with it that God does—- put it on the cross and leave it there.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello AKWarrior.

1 John 1:10
If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

1 John 3:9
No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Upvote 0