Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Outside of being in a coma (which I'm sure some people would consider sinful for some reason), can a full-grown adult be spiritually disciplined enough to go one or more consecutive days without sinning inwardly and outwardly?

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Outside of being in a coma (which I'm sure some people would consider sinful for some reason), can a full-grown adult be spiritually disciplined enough to go one or more consecutive days without sinning inwardly and outwardly?
If he is being led by the indwelling Holy Spirit. It's more about HS power than self discipline but both are helpful so that might be splitting hairs.

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
In this time and age it will be very difficult to do. There's a story in one of our (Orthodox) monastic books of a monk who - it appears - did not sin for 12 years. What he experienced and what he did though was rather unique:

And I cannot be silent about the story of Hesychius the Horebite. He passed his life in complete negligence, without paying the least attention to his soul. Then he became extremely ill, and for an hour he left his body. And when he came to himself he begged us all to leave him immediately. And he built up the door of his cell, and he stayed in it for twelve years without ever uttering a word to anyone, and without eating anything but bread and water. And, always remaining motionless, he was so wrapt in spirit in what he had seen in his ecstasy that he never changed his place but was always as if out of his mind, and silently shed hot tears. But when he was about to die, we broke open the door and went in, and after many questions this alone was all we heard from him: ‘Forgive me! No one who has acquired the remembrance of death will ever be able to sin.’ We were amazed to see that one who had before been so negligent was so suddenly transfigured by this blessed change and transformation. We reverently buried him in the cemetery near the fort and after some days we looked for his holy relics, but did not find them. So by his true and praiseworthy repentance the Lord showed us that even after long negligence He accepts those who desire to amend.​

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see how.

I spoke to my gardener today. I told him he needs to do a better job (my husband and I cannot do this anymore) in the way that we were accustomed to keeping this garden.

I told him to give me a monthly fee and I'd pay it.

So: How many sins did I commit?

1. I placed too much importance on worldly things. My garden.

2. I did my best not to, but he might have felt badly. Love your neighbor.

3. I told him to set a fee that is good for both of us. Generosity, lack of?

4. I'm hoping the fee is low. Ditto.

The whole matter took about 15 minutes.
How many sins?

Praise God that Jesus will look out for us as long as we wish to do our best.

Do you, we, have any idea how HOLY God is?
I doubt we can go a day without hurting Him in some way, even if unintentional and not mean-hearted.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think that some of the previous post is about perspective which is why we need to rely on the HS not our own understanding. For example, what if the guy needed the interaction so that you could open up a conversation about God? Would it then be sin? I'm not saying it wasn't, that is a matter of the heart which is between the individual and God what I am saying is that our perspective colors what is and is not sin when God Himself should be our only guide.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello, and welcome to CF. :)

It usually comes down to how you define "sin".

Those who consider only gross, intentional sin - lying, stealing, hurting others, gossip, etc. and maybe even extending to such things as dwelling for a moment in coveting - will usually say yes. We should become purified and avoid those types of sin.

But the real definition of sin/hamartia is "missing the mark" and that mark is Christ Himself.

Do we measure up to Christ's own purity of heart? Do we always at every minute of the day and night love God with ALL of our heart, soul, strength, and mind? Are we so free of the vice of pride that we feel not even a momentary flash of offense when our "rights" are violated in some way (I'm talking about someone cutting you off in traffic or moving ahead of you in line, not an actual social injustice where human rights should be championed). And so on. If we are sensitive enough to the holiness of God, we will recognize that we are plagued frequently by sinful thoughts and inclinations, though hopefully our outward deeds and words can become to a degree sanctified.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello, and welcome to CF. :)

It usually comes down to how you define "sin".

Those who consider only gross, intentional sin - lying, stealing, hurting others, gossip, etc. and maybe even extending to such things as dwelling for a moment in coveting - will usually say yes. We should become purified and avoid those types of sin.

But the real definition of sin/hamartia is "missing the mark" and that mark is Christ Himself.

Do we measure up to Christ's own purity of heart? Do we always at every minute of the day and night love God with ALL of our heart, soul, strength, and mind? Are we so free of the vice of pride that we feel not even a momentary flash of offense when our "rights" are violated in some way (I'm talking about someone cutting you off in traffic or moving ahead of you in line, not an actual social injustice where human rights should be championed). And so on. If we are sensitive enough to the holiness of God, we will recognize that we are plagued frequently by sinful thoughts and inclinations, though hopefully our outward deeds and words can become to a degree sanctified.
In the power of the indwelling HS yes...that is the point...in and of ourselves, no, but He is a weak God if it is not possible in the power of the Living God.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the power of the indwelling HS yes...that is the point...in and of ourselves, He is a weak God if it is not possible in the power of the Living God.
With all due respect, that's not what I'm talking about. It IS through the grace of God that we become sanctified.

But it is essentially impossible to reach perfection while in the flesh. Again, it comes down to definitions, and how sensitive one is to God's own degree of holiness.

Im not looking to argue, btw. Just wishing to not be rude and ignore you, but at the same time not wanting to be misunderstood in what I wrote, either to the left or right. :)

God be with you.

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the power of the indwelling HS yes...that is the point...in and of ourselves, no, but He is a weak God if it is not possible in the power of the Living God.
I agree with @Anastasia the post above.

There's too much of blaming the Holy Spirit and God these days.
We are indwelt by the Holy Spirit but we're not His little puppet.
We still have a free will that can decide on moral issues.

What you are saying, basically, is that when we sin, it is the fault of the Holy Spirit!

Our sin nature, flesh, or whatever you wish to call it is still present. We've cut down on the biggies if we're mature enough, (this is not to criticize those who cannot for whatever reason) but the other sins will plague us daily. We do not yet have our glorified bodies and are under the sanctification mode.

As to those who are still struggling with the biggies, I encourage them to continue and never give up. God loves us as long as we're doing our best.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With all due respect, that's not what I'm talking about. It IS through the grace of God that we become sanctified.

But it is essentially impossible to reach perfection while in the flesh. Again, it comes down to definitions, and how sensitive one is to God's own degree of holiness.

Im not looking to argue, btw. Just wishing to not be rude and ignore you, but at the same time not wanting to be misunderstood in what I wrote, either to the left or right. :)

God be with you.
I'm with you on that part about not wanting to be rude and not ignore etc.

So let me say this...according to scripture, Christ came to break our bondage to sin and death....how has He done that if we are still bound in the flesh to sin? WE cannot do it alone, amen...but Christ failed if we cannot be without sin in His power hasn't He? If He came to break our bondage to sin and death and yet we go on sinning, why should be believe that the power of death has no hold?

And just for clarification, I am talking about all sin not just the big ones

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."
Someone found this bible quote optimistic..... Let me give another optimistic bible quote:

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with @Anastasia the post above.

There's too much of blaming the Holy Spirit and God these days.
We are indwelt by the Holy Spirit but we're not His little puppet.
We still have a free will that can decide on moral issues.
thus my comment "if we are led by the HOLY SPIRIT" because we do have a choice.
What you are saying, basically, is that when we sin, it is the fault of the Holy Spirit!
wow, that is the opposite of what I am saying...what I am saying is that when we sin we are NOT allowing the HS to lead us....it's all on us, but that is the point, the HS is powerful enough to keep us from sin or He failed when He came to destroy both sin and death.
Our sin nature, flesh, or whatever you wish to call it is still present. We've cut down on the biggies if we're mature enough, (this is not to criticize those who cannot for whatever reason) but the other sins will plague us daily. We do not yet have our glorified bodies and are under the sanctification mode.
we will be tempted, but we do NOT have to sin if we are being yielded to the HS which is the point.
As to those who are still struggling with the biggies, I encourage them to continue and never give up. God loves us as long as we're doing our best.
amen.

Upvote 0

frater_domus

Faith is all that matters.
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2018
Berlin
✟186,302.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nope. I am pretty sure we will have sinned enough to warrant damnation when we crawl out of bed in the morning. We will never be free from sin until we die. All we can do it sin less and less each day we are alive on earth, through the power of the Holy Spirit. Which is why faith is so important, for we are justified by faith with Jesus Christ being our defender before the law of God and made righteous as a result. If actions and adherence to the law was necessary for salvation and not merely a result of the indwelling Spirit which we receive through faith, we'd be royally screwed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm with you on that part about not wanting to be rude and not ignore etc.

So let me say this...according to scripture, Christ came to break our bondage to sin and death....how has He done that if we are still bound in the flesh to sin? WE cannot do it alone, amen...but Christ failed if we cannot be without sin in His power hasn't He? If He came to break our bondage to sin and death and yet we go on sinning, why should be believe that the power of death has no hold?

And just for clarification, I am talking about all sin not just the big ones

You've stated above:

but Christ failed if we cannot be without sin in His power hasn't He?

Need I say more???
You've made my point exactly.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Someone found this bible quote optimistic..... Let me give another optimistic bible quote:

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."
This is also optimistic.
So you don't sin anymore?

What does 1 John 1:9 mean?

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You've stated above:

but Christ failed if we cannot be without sin in His power hasn't He?

Need I say more???
You've made my point exactly.
make sure you read it in context....Romans 8:2 and other passages tell us that Jesus came to set us free from sin and death which is why the Kingdom is a Kingdom of power not words, 1 Corinthians 4:20...now if Jesus coming was not enough to set us free from sin and death, which was why He came according to scripture, didn't He fail? Notice it's a question directed at you all and was taken out of context....so how about putting it in context and then answering the question rather than making blanket attempts at false accusations.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thus my comment "if we are led by the HOLY SPIRIT" because we do have a choice. wow, that is the opposite of what I am saying...what I am saying is that when we sin we are NOT allowing the HS to lead us....it's all on us, but that is the point, the HS is powerful enough to keep us from sin or He failed when He came to destroy both sin and death. we will be tempted, but we do NOT have to sin if we are being yielded to the HS which is the point. amen.
See my post no. 16 to you.

I stated EXACTLY what you are saying.
You are blaming the Holy Spirit each time you sin.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
make sure you read it in context....Romans 8:2 and other passages tell us that Jesus came to set us free from sin and death which is why the Kingdom is a Kingdom of power not words, 1 Corinthians 4:20...now if Jesus coming was not enough to set us free from sin and death, which was why He came according to scripture, didn't He fail? Notice it's a question directed at you all and was taken out of context....so how about putting it in context and then answering the question rather than making blanket attempts at false accusations.
You're saying that if we have the Holy Spirit we will not sin.
So then why do we sin? Are we not saved?

As far as why Jesus came here...
The number one reason was to set up the Kingdom of God here on earth.

Not to take away from the fact that He is the Messiah and came to save that which was lost and He defied death and sin.
But, most of all, He broke satan's stronghold on everyone, but not because we don't sin anymore...because now we have the motive and the power to sin as little as possible, but because WE make the choice not to sin, not because we have the Holy Spirit stopping us - which would put the blame on Him when we DO sin.

Upvote 0