Is The Sinner’s Prayer Biblical?

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe the Sinner’s Prayer is just another way of the Bible saying to “Repent.”

A Biblical Case For Repentance:

At the heart, I believe the Bible teaches that "Repentance" means, "Asking God for forgiveness" (Which of course naturally then leads to the "fruits of repentance", i.e. obedience to the Lord):

Important Note: While I may believe "Repentance" does involve to a certain degree a "change of mind" (like a person changing their mind about their old life of sin), I do not think "Repentance" exclusively means a “change of mind.”

"Asking God for forgiveness of sin" can either refer to: The "Sinner's Prayer" (Initial Salvation) (Romans 10:13), and or the seasoned believer "Confessing one's sin" (Continued Salvation) (See 1 John 1:9, 1 John 2:1).

Anyways, here are my ten points using Scripture showing that "repentance" means "asking God for forgiveness of sin.”

#1. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"

#2. Luke 17:3 says, "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." This doesn't make any sense if "repent" means believe in Jesus (as some teach) or to have a change of mind about sin (as others teach) or to exclusively forsake sin. Yes, we are to forsake sin as a part of repentance but that comes later after repentance (Which is to ask God for forgiveness of our sin). For how can we reconcile with a brother if we do not say we are sorry vs. just going on about life as if we did nothing wrong?

#3. Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(a) Cry out to God (i.e. Repentance) (See Jonah 3:8).
(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (i.e. The Natural Fruits of Repentance).​

#4. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#5. We see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

#6. Ezekiel 14:6 says,
"Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols;" Repent makes the most sense here if a person is asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer instead of a person just believing in God. Naturally a person believes in God as their Savior if they are planning on forsaking their idols.

#7. We see repentance is the topic of discussion in Luke 15 (Luke 15:6) (Luke 15:10); This is then followed up by the "Parable of the Prodigal Son" with the son desiring to be reconciled with his father. We learn the WAY the Prodigal Son desired to be reconciled with his father when he said,

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants." (Luke 15:18-19).

In other words, the Prodigal Son was seeking forgiveness. This ties into the point of repentance in Luke 15:6 and Luke 15:10.

#8. Luke 10:13 says,
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:6 we learn that the King of Nineveh sat in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:8, the King of Nineveh tells people to put on sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God (i.e. repentance): and then turn from their evil way (i.e. the fruits of repentance).

#9. John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance (Luke 3:8). Fruits are deeds (or obedience to God). How can repentance be the same thing as the fruit? Is the fruit the same thing as the tree?

#10. Jeremiah 8:6 says, "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." Here we see the word "repented of wickedness" tied with the words, "What have I done?" This is an acknowledgement of one's sin to God as a part of asking His forgiveness.

Notable Additional Verses that Deal with Repentance
(But They Do Not Use The Word "Repent" or "Repentance"):

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18:13-14).

Proverbs 28:13 says whosoever confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I will give my answer below (with Scripture).
Hi Jason, did you have one in mind as you called it The sinners prayer.

However, if you meant 'any' or 'a' as in use, there is one for sure I know of and that is Psalm 51.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have no doubt some have been saved through a sinner's prayer.

All that is required for everlasting salvation is genuine faith in Jesus sacrifice on the cross as atonement for all your sins, past, present and future. And God covers many forms of ignorance to simpler folk as well as those confused by theologies... his grace and mercy is abundant.

A truly humble person who recieves Christ into their heart has eternal life and has their name written in Heaven forever, never to be removed. And so by saying the sinner's prayer, whatever version, many came to recieve the forgiveness of God.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I will give my answer below (with Scripture).
Lord, have mercy upon me, a sinner ???

Luke 18

10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray. One was a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like the other men—swindlers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and pay tithes of all that I receive.’

13 But the tax collector stood at a distance, unwilling even to lift up his eyes to heaven. Instead, he beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man, rather than the Pharisee, went home justified. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jason, did you have one in mind as you called it The sinners prayer.

However, if you meant 'any' or 'a' as in use, there is one for sure I know of and that is Psalm 51.

It can refer to The Sinner’s Prayer in the singular sense that it refers to a prayer of forgiveness towards Jesus Christ when coming to the faith for the first time. Repentance can refer to confession of sin by prayer to the Lord, as well. The Sinner’s Prayer is commonly referred to as an initial prayer in seeking forgiveness with Jesus. Hence, why I labeled it as I did.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the sinner's prayer is a ritual people trust in for salvation instead of trusting directly in Christ. They end up being their own savior focusing on and artificial means of grace. The gospel is simply believing what you hear about Jesus' death for our sins. His burial and resurrection on the third day. And your belief is evidence you have eternal life. Jesus said whoever believes has eternal life. And repentance follows true belief.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the Bible there is a line and you are on one side of it or not. Saved or not. The gospel is preached and the call to respond to it is what we see in Acts 2 when Peter preached this is what happened.
37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”
38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.” 41 Then those who gladly[fn] received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added

So Peter managed to get a message and a response and we see they even were Baptized right then. All of his words are not mentioned but he managed to make it clear you were crossing from one side of the line to the other.

The sinners prayer without the right gospel is wrong every time. People need to know why they need to be saved and saved from what and how. They need to know what repentance is and if these ideas are shared offering a chance to make a confession of faith is a good thing. But not a necessary thing. There is a moment in every believers life when they are converted and many have made this a ceremony and now a custom of saying the prayer.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
The problem with the sinner's prayer is that it is not a "get out of jail free card" in terms of avoiding Hell, not in and of itself anyway. Jesus clearly emphasized that if we fail to show mercy to the hungry and the homeless, we will not make it to Heaven. Hence, the sinner's prayer is but a beginning first step.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree with DaveL, what is typically known as the sinner's prayer has lead many people to trust in it as the means to be saved, and many of those people never heard the gospel to begin with (which actually saves), or end up falling out of the church in the future.

Simply trusting and repenting under the gospel is sufficient enough, no need to pray for it, although I don't immediately discourage a confession in prayer. I would emphasis in a case like that to the people that this prayer does not save you, just as baptism does not save you, but rather you resting your faith in the person and work of Christ.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The gospel is simply believing what you hear about Jesus' death for our sins. His burial and resurrection on the third day. And your belief is evidence you have eternal life. Jesus said whoever believes has eternal life. And repentance follows true belief.

None of this or other statements here takes into account Jesus' Gospel of the Kingdom which divided itself from the world of man and gave us the choice to repent of one way of living for the other and producing fruits to confirm it.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The sinners prayer saves no one, just as the Bible saves no one. The only object for a person faith to directed toward is The promised Messiah from the Old Testament prophecies and that person is reveled in the New Testament as Jesus The Christ.
You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

There is no life in a sinners prayer a person has to go to the only place where there is eternal life to receive eternal life and that is Jesus.

Upvote 0

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I really don't see how you express repentance and trust and faith in God except through prayer. It's not that you're believing in that prayer for salvation, it's that the prayer is how you are expressing the faith you have in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely not, 100%. And of course the verses everyone wants to use to prove otherwise is, "whosoever believes shall be saved", while this is true it is only half true. The whole word says totally different.
Does the Bible say, did Jesus say, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature he who believes and is baptized shall be saved"? No matter how badly anyone wants that to mean something else, it still says the same thing. Does the Bible say, "repent and be baptized every one of you in the name Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost". No matter what anyone wishes or wants that to mean or say, it says for the remission of sins. It will always say that which it says, even untill the dawn of that etternal day.
In Him

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the Bible there is a line and you are on one side of it or not. Saved or not. The gospel is preached and the call to respond to it is what we see in Acts 2 when Peter preached this is what happened.
37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”
38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.” 41 Then those who gladly[fn] received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added

So Peter managed to get a message and a response and we see they even were Baptized right then. All of his words are not mentioned but he managed to make it clear you were crossing from one side of the line to the other.

The sinners prayer without the right gospel is wrong every time. People need to know why they need to be saved and saved from what and how. They need to know what repentance is and if these ideas are shared offering a chance to make a confession of faith is a good thing. But not a necessary thing. There is a moment in every believers life when they are converted and many have made this a ceremony and now a custom of saying the prayer.

Nobody is suggesting that the Sinner's Prayer is separate from the gospel. I believe the word "repent" is another way of saying "Sinner's Prayer" and it played in harmony with the gospel (i.e. believing in Christ's death and resurrection for salvation). The gospel is all about God's grace and mercy. So obviously seeking forgiveness with the Lord goes hand in hand with that.

• Agree
Reactions: His student
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the sinner's prayer is a ritual people trust in for salvation instead of trusting directly in Christ. They end up being their own savior focusing on and artificial means of grace. The gospel is simply believing what you hear about Jesus' death for our sins. His burial and resurrection on the third day. And your belief is evidence you have eternal life. Jesus said whoever believes has eternal life. And repentance follows true belief.

John 1:12 says, "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name"

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
and it played in harmony with the gospel (i.e. believing in Christ's death and resurrection for salvation). The gospel is all about God's grace and mercy.

The Adversary knew this to be the case. No salvation for him. Jesus' Gospel, the true Gospel, however which exposes the ways of man being contrary to the will of God and shows repentance, that is change from the will of man to will of God as shown by fruits, is a threat to his dominion here, especially as he has no place in the Kingdom.

Upvote 0