• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

9 Questions

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by J_B_, Nov 26, 2021.

1. J_B_

J_B_ Well-Known Member

+250
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I have 9 questions about evolution. I understand they have the potential for heated conversation, but I’m hoping to fill some gaps in my knowledge. I will do my best to remain civil. As we proceed, some questions may become moot, or the conversation may prompt new questions. However, at the moment I have 9.

Just to be clear, I’m using the following as a definition of evolution: A change in allele frequency of a population from one generation to the next.

Given that is the definition, it is obvious evolution happens, so the questions are not aimed at whether or not it happens, but at how biologists characterize, analyze, and predict the objects and phenomena that make up evolution.

Question #1: If there is only one scientific theory explaining a phenomenon, is that theory a sufficient explanation for an occurrence of the phenomenon even without evidence?

This is a philosophical question. I am aware of the evidential claims for evolution, so I don’t need them repeated. I’m just looking for an answer to the philosophical question.

[edit]: Questions 2,3 are posted here.
    [edit]: Questions 4,5,6 are posted here.
    [edit]: Questions 7,8,9 are posted here.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+4,142
    Atheist
    I wouldn't call any idea a "scientific theory" that is without evidence. Hypothesis, maybe.

3. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+10,715
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Physics, institutionally, has really screwed this one up with "string theory". There's probably other fast and loose usage examples as well.

4. J_B_

J_B_ Well-Known Member

+250
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I tried to be clear that I wasn't speaking to a complete lack of evidence, but let me try to elaborate further.

Theory AAA is currently the only explaination for the formation of 111 objects. Not all of these objects are identical. Objects 111a, 111b, 111c, etc. have been observed. There is evidence for the formation of 111a, 111b, and 111c per the mechanisms of theory AAA. A new object is observed (111d), but there is not yet any evidence of its formation.

Is theory AAA sufficient explanation for 111d without that evidence?

5. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+10,715
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    "Theory" aside, I say proposals without evidence are scientifically insufficient to serve as proper explanations.

6. Yttrium

Yttrium Independent Centrist

+2,176
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    Yes. Lack of evidence isn't evidence against. You need conflicting evidence to require changes to or replacement of the theory.

An alternate theory is perfectly acceptable, as long as it also fits all the known evidence.

7. Estrid

Estrid Well-Known Member

+1,375
    Hong Kong
    Skeptic
    In Relationship
    Give example

8. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+10,715
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Ooh I like this question.

If I discovered a new sort of mineral but havent observed its formation yet, how justified would I be in proposing without specific new evidence that it came about via some new chemical principles different than the ones explaining the formation of all other minerals? Not very.

I think the onus would be on me to provide evidence for these new principles. And its safe to presume that AAA explains mineral 111d so long as no conflict is apparent.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  9. J_B_

J_B_ Well-Known Member

+250
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    See post #4.

10. J_B_

J_B_ Well-Known Member

+250
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I agree.

Again, agreed.

I don't quite agree with this. I would say it's perfectly reasonable to proceed with the current theory even in the absence of evidence for 111d, but conflicting evidence isn't necessarily what we need to cause some head scratching.

I'll use a real example this time, from my own field of classical mechanics (which I use in my engineering role). The classical description of a machine experiencing vibration is linear. However, not all machines are linear. It is easy to demonstrate nonlinear machine vibration. The problem, though, is how to model the nonlinearity. There are literally an infinite number of ways to model nonlinear vibration. How do you determine which one to use? My field typically answers "correlation". The model that best correlates to the data is the best model.

But that doesn't work either. In a paper (sponsored by my company I'm proud to say), it was demonstrated that correlation does not produce a best model. Several models can correlate equally well. To date there is no way to distinguish them.

That means people regress to their favorite model, which is kind of a bummer since I have a model I think is awesome, but which isn't widely accepted. Anyway ...

The point is, rather than conflicting evidence, I would say a 2nd theory that also fits the existing evidence is enough to question the first theory ... though of course we don't have such a thing in the case of evolution.

My question is trying to determine what aspects of science make theories provisional (as all theories supposedly are).

11. J_B_

J_B_ Well-Known Member

+250
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I agree.

It's a reasonable thing to do, but as noted in post #10, I don't quite agree. Still, I don't expect my explanation will convince everyone ... maybe not anyone.

12. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+10,715
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Are you saying an un-evidenced hypothesis that fits the data should have us question a well evidenced theory.

I suppose it depends on how strong a term "question" really is here.

13. J_B_

J_B_ Well-Known Member

+250
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    How is a hypothesis that fits all the existing data un-evidenced?

But to clarify, theory BBB wouldn't establish that theory AAA has been falsified. Rather, it raises the perplexing problem that falsification is too simple a dichotomy (in this case). If AAA and BBB both fit the evidence, how do you choose? The choice is made in a non-evidential manner. Sticking with AAA would be perfectly reasonable, but moving to BBB could also be reasonable.

14. Frank Robert

Frank Robert Well-Known Member

+571
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    deleted

15. Frank Robert

Frank Robert Well-Known Member

+571
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married

As described the explanation for the formation of 111 objects would be a hypothesis for the objects lacking evidence not a theory. A well designed scientific study would state it's limitations and indications for further study. Science does not claim to have all the answers.

16. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+10,715
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    I'm thinking of something like string theory which we're told is mathematically compatible with everything we see (fits the available data), but we've yet to observe (seen evidence of) its proposed necessary component parts.

17. J_B_

J_B_ Well-Known Member

+250
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I'm not asking that.

I disagree for the very reason you state. Science doesn't claim to have all the answers. AAA is a perfectly acceptable theory for the formation of 111 objects. The appearance of 111d does not falsify it. It triggers investigations.

18. J_B_

J_B_ Well-Known Member

+250
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Thanks for the clarification. This better explains your position, which I find very interesting. I'm not sure I agree yet, but I could be convinced.

19. J_B_

J_B_ Well-Known Member

+250
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Ah. I understand now. That makes string theory an interesting example for the discussion.

I think I'm repeating myself now, but I wouldn't expect such a thing to falsify a prior theory. But to me it does feel like it makes the statement that theories are provisional a bit more real.

20. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+24,013
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Theory
    The strength of a scientific theory is related to the diversity of phenomena it can explain, which is measured by its ability to make falsifiable predictions with respect to those phenomena. Theories are improved (or replaced by better theories) as more evidence is gathered, so that accuracy in prediction improves over time; this increased accuracy corresponds to an increase in scientific knowledge. Scientists use theories as a foundation to gain further scientific knowledge, as well as to accomplish goals such as inventing technology or curing diseases.

It's hard to tell from your description how strong the theory really is. If the theory were not just the 'only' theory, but the generally accepted theory among experts, then I would say the answer is yes. There would be a presumption that the theory would apply to similar phenomena that are in the scope of the theory. That said, all theories are only accepted provisionally, so more evidence could improve or displace the theory.

With specific regard to evolution, the theory is very strong with evidence coming from oodles of specific situations and multiple converging lines of inquiry. There is a very strong presumption that it applies to species currently unknown or unstudied by scientists.