Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,087,476.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, maybe a new tradition is starting. My first reaction personally, for now, is to want to laugh, since you asked. Also, it makes me feel sorry for some little girl who would have just loved to have been the flower girl, especially if such a one is watching the wedding.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If you were invited as a guest to the wedding and saw an adult flower girl in her late 20's, what would be your reaction/internal thoughts about it?

I only ask because i was asked to be a flower girl. And at the time, I felt genuinely honored but after reading this one forum where a bride was asking people online if having an adult flower girl was weird, I started to feel ..different about the whole thing. And its too late to back out now as the bride had me order my own special dress (same style as the bridesmaids but just in an ivory color that matches the color of the brides dress *which is what the bride wanted*). Im also asked to wear a flower crown and of course throw the petals. That aside, what was your genuine initial reaction to the title of this thread?

I just want to prepare myself mentally and emotionally for whatever reaction I may get from the guests.

At my buddy's wedding last year they had one of their friends--a guy and one of my buddy's co-workers--fill in that position. He was the flower guy.

It wasn't exactly a very traditional wedding however, the theme of the wedding was vikings, so the bride and groom wore viking helmets, mead instead of wine or champagne was served, and everyone in the wedding party had cups made from real buffalo horn. It was a fun wedding.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My first reaction who be look around for any crying girls and think "This lady done stole this little girls job!"

But seriously, most men dont know whose who or what's what at a wedding....so we wouldnt care and you can take our advise with a grain of salt. It is the looks of the women you will have to think about. And after thinking about it, you can choose to not care, be happy, and be the best flower lady you can be for the bride....

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you were invited as a guest to the wedding and saw an adult flower girl in her late 20's, what would be your reaction/internal thoughts about it?

I only ask because i was asked to be a flower girl. And at the time, I felt genuinely honored but after reading this one forum where a bride was asking people online if having an adult flower girl was weird, I started to feel ..different about the whole thing. And its too late to back out now as the bride had me order my own special dress (same style as the bridesmaids but just in an ivory color that matches the color of the brides dress *which is what the bride wanted*). Im also asked to wear a flower crown and of course throw the petals. That aside, what was your genuine initial reaction to the title of this thread?

I just want to prepare myself mentally and emotionally for whatever reaction I may get from the guests.
If the bride asked you to be a flower girl, accept it graciously and thank her for the honor.

What other people think doesn't matter if this is what the bride wants.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As long as you and the Bride to be are cool with it....Have fun tossing peddles and looking different (which I think is an honor) than the bridesmaids.

Well that is all you are going to get out of a starchy 50 year old man. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

name_is_irrelevant

Jun 16, 2018
Farton
✟6,276.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

My internal reaction would be "wow, I got invited to a wedding!" I've never been to one, at least not a traditional white wedding type of one. Is there some rule about how old women are supposed to be as flower girls or something? I don't get etiquette sometimes, it seems so arbitrary.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That's an interesting question. I had no idea that adults could be flower girls. I was just recently married and my youngest sister was my flower girl. She's five years old.
But now that I think about it, why does it have to be a child? I thinks it's just traditionally always been a role for a little girl.
I think it's wonderful to break with tradition sometimes. You may get some strange looks but I'm sure will be a beautiful flower woman. It is an honour and a wonderful joy to be part of a wedding. My advice would be to embrace the honour and enjoy it.
You will be showing people that weddings can be unique and special and wonderful and that it's okay to break tradition.
My internal reaction would be "wow, I got invited to a wedding!" I've never been to one, at least not a traditional white wedding type of one. Is there some rule about how old women are supposed to be as flower girls or something? I don't get etiquette sometimes, it seems so arbitrary.
If you look flower girl up in a general search WIKI will come up with a description and history. FWIW it's just tradition dating way back but by tradition it's usually a young girl of 3-10 years old. Wiki breaks it down briefly into a few national categories. Some it's young girl and virgin, some it's tradition and symbolism for fertility. It wasn't always flowers but herbs and wheat at some point.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'm no expert on weddings for sure but I would say if thats what the bride wanted what's wrong with that?
No ones ever going to agree with everything anyway so I say enjoy it and be happy that the couple are making a loving commitment to each other.:)

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nothing wrong with being an adult flower girl. Go and have a good time.

I was once in a wedding where instead of a Best Man the groom had a Best Lady. He said that his best friend (other than his bride) was his sister, and asked her. She did a great job in the role.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm no expert on weddings for sure but I would say if thats what the bride wanted what's wrong with that?
No ones ever going to agree with everything anyway so I say enjoy it and be happy that the couple are making a loving commitment to each other.:)
Well, exactly! as long as the wedding party and the officiant can in conscience participate, it all revolves around the wishes of the couple concerned.

Upvote 0