Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If it's not spontaneous, it's mechanical and by wrote, etc. That's the argument of some.
Every time we pray the Lord's Prayer, even though that was dictated to his disciples by Jesus, we are doing it by rote, so is that impermissible? I don't see the reasoning.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Every time we pray the Lord's Prayer, even though that was dictated to his disciples by Jesus, we are doing it by rote, so is that impermissible? I don't see the reasoning.

Many churches do not permit it or would be shocked to even hear of someone writing out a prayer or praying from a prayer book. It's very likely that the Me, Jesus & My Bible folks would be among those who would feel that way.

For much of evangelicalism, the Christian life is lived within one's heart. There is no connection to the church of the past 2,000 years, or even the church of last week, for that matter. Self-expression is the highest good, so praying "someone elses" prayer flies in the face of that.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
During a worship service, is it inauthentic to use a prayer that you wrote beforehand or someone else wrote 1,000 years ago?
If so we can discard the Psalms, can't we?

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vain repetition! (That's what the fundies will shout, anyway.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Many churches do not permit it or would be shocked to even hear of someone writing out a prayer or praying from a prayer book. It's very likely that the Me, Jesus & My Bible folks would be among those who would feel that way.
Oh, I'm sure that there are such folks, but if I'm asked what I think of it, I can't see any logic in that position or, for that matter, any Biblical reason to adopt it.

For much of evangelicalism, the Christian life is lived within one's heart. There is no connection to the church of the past 2,000 years, or even the church of last week, for that matter. Self-expression is the highest good, so praying "someone elses" prayer flies in the face of that.
Again, if you ask me, I can't agree. I can appreciate why they say what they do, and I CAN accept the general principle, but I can't see that reciting a prepared prayer is automatically insincere. If I read a prayer and put nothing of myself into what it states, then that would be wrong, obviously. If the sentiments expressed are clearly slanted by the author to bring about a phony agreement with some political premise, for instance, that's wrong.

However, almost every prayer that I recite from the prayerbook used in my church reflects my heartfelt and Scripturally-correct sentiments, so to say that there's something wrong--or that I cannot emotionally connect with what I'm saying when reading it--is just arbitrary. And frankly, I think there's a good argument for the OPPOSITE view.

Personally, I grow cold at hearing nothing but awkward, inarticulate, repetitious extemporaneous prayers offered by people on such occasions as grace before meals or at a Bible study group, for instance. They're sincere and I appreciate that, but they don't relate to me very well

By contrast, some of the prayers that I find in a book can be tremendously uplifting and beautiful. And there's no reason to say that the words are not sincerely meant by me when I recite them, not any more than the hymn "Amazing Grace" or the 23rd Psalm--both of which owe to someone else's pen.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I grow cold at hearing nothing but awkward, inarticulate, repetitious extemporaneous prayers offered by people on such occasions as grace before meals or at a Bible study group, for instance. They're sincere and I appreciate that, but they're not doing a thing for me.

I agree. I've heard people refer to some of the extemporaneous prayers as "just" prayers. "Lord, I just want to thank you for just blessing us the church picnic, and for just. . .

And there's no reason to say that the words are not sincerely meant by me when I recite them, not any more than the hymn "Amazing Grace" or the 23rd Psalm--both of which owe to someone else's pen.

This is my first argument to one who disapproves if written prayers. We don't just make up hymns on the spot, do we?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think there is a middle ground between spontaneous prayer and rote recitation. Either can be insincere or sincere depending upon the person doing the praying. I think it is much easier to pray insincerely by using rote recitation and I think rote recitation is more conducive to insincerity than spontaneous prayer but either can be sincere, again depending upon the attitude of the one praying. I struggle with oft recited prayer in order to make sure I am not vainly repeating something without it holding any immediate meaning while i am repeating something i have so often said in the past. I could very easily make up an insincere spontaneous prayer but I would be much more likely to aware of my insincerity when i did it. Reciting a prayer can be an insincere action that I unwittingly engage in without really knowing I am doing so because it has become merely a habit to recite words rather than an intentional reaching out to God. I believe we ought to engage in both spontaneous and well known prayers but be careful not to simply say words which we as are not paying attention to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you recite the doxology immediately at the end of the Lord's Prayer or after a small prayer by the priest? I was asked about the origin of the doxology, which cannot be found in Matthew's version of the Lord's Prayer. It can, however be found in the Didache version of the Lord's Prayer. This shocked me. So either it was always there and just didn't get written into Matthew or it was a very early addition.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you recite the doxology immediately at the end of the Lord's Prayer

Yes, always. Of course, there are several versions of that, too, and some denominations favor one over another, just as they say "debts" and "debtors" rather than "trespasses." ;)

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Some think it is, and some think it's not. What's you opinion?

My opinion is that while ex tempore prayer is acceptable, we are obliged by the canons of the ancient church, like the Apostolic Tradition of St. Hippolytus, and so on, to read liturgical prayers, for example, the Lord's Prayer, the various ancient liturgies, and so on. Also on the basis of 2 Thessalonians 2:15.

What "vain repetitions" refers to rather were the ritual mantras still chanted to this day in the Indian religions, and the glossolalia that was a fixture of various Pagan religions in the time of Christ. Recently texts have been recovered from the Mithras Mysteries. Take a look at this liturgy for an example of what our Lord meant by "vain repetition":

have consecrated you, that your essence may be useful to me, to _______ alone, IE IA E EE OY EIA, that you may prove useful to me (765) alone. For I am PHOR PHORA PHOS PHOTIZAAS (others: PHOR PHOR OPHOTHEI XAAS)."

Source:

http://hermetic.com/pgm/mithras-liturgy.html

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Yes, always. Of course, there are several versions of that, too, and some denominations favor one over another, just as they say "debts" and "debtors" rather than "trespasses." ;)

In the Orthodox Church, the doxology is usually recited, by being intoned aloud, by the celebrant.

So the congregation will say the prayer, and then the priest will sing "For thine is the kingdom and the honor and the glory, of the Father and the Son and the Holy Gnost, now and ever and unto the ages of ages!"

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If it's not spontaneous, it's mechanical and by rote, etc. That's the argument of some.

Spontaneous prayer can also be disingenuous...all prayer is good prayer when it is sincere.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0