BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let us assume that calculating the number 666 from Revelation means gematria. Then there are clear points that we need to consider:

1. the word must be a Greek word. Since the book was written in Greek, it makes absolutely no sense that the author had a Hebrew, Latin or English word in mind.

2. it can only be one word. More than one word or even a sentence makes no sense, especially because it is about a name.

3. the probability must be very high that this word occurs in the New Testament.

If we consider these points, 1 word come into consideration.

1. euporia which means "prosperity". Occurs only once in Acts of the Apostles 19:25.

So the name of the beast is prosperity? Prosperity actually has negative features, it makes you blind and separate you from God. We see it in society. We also see it in the OT, for example Solomon who became blind because of his wealth. Maybe when the Antichrist appears he will bring many people to his side by promising them prosperity. Perhaps the Antichrist will appear at a time when poverty has increased and will take advantage of this opportunity.

It is also interesting to know that the numerical value of Jesus' name is 888. Revelation 14 says that the saints have the name of Jesus on their foreheads. The followers of the beast will also have his name on their foreheads.

A contrast can be seen:

666 = the desire for Prosperity = death
888 = the desire for Jesus = life

I have heard many theories about the number and so far I think this is the best theory I know. What do you say? Post your thoughts.

Last edited:

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Let us assume that calculating the number 666 from Revelation means gematria. Then there are clear points that we need to consider:

1. the word must be a Greek word. Since the book was written in Greek, it makes absolutely no sense that the author had a Hebrew, Latin or English word in mind.

2. it can only be one word. More than one word or even a sentence makes no sense, especially because it is about a name.

3. the probability must be very high that this word occurs in the New Testament.

If we consider these points, only 2 words come into consideration. In the entire NT there are only two words that have the numerical value 666:

1. euporia which means "prosperity". Occurs only once in Acts of the Apostles 19:25.
2. pentakis which means "five times". Occurs only once in 2 Corinthians 11:24.

Pentakis can be excluded because there is really no significant connection to the beast. But Euporia with its meaning can be a candidate.

So the name of the beast is prosperity? Prosperity actually has negative features, it makes you blind and separate you from God. We see it in society. We also see it in the OT, for example Solomon who became blind because of his wealth. Maybe when the Antichrist appears he will bring many people to his side by promising them prosperity. Perhaps the Antichrist will appear at a time when poverty has increased and will take advantage of this opportunity.

It is also interesting to know that the numerical value of Jesus' name is 888. Revelation 14 says that the saints have the name of Jesus on their foreheads. The followers of the beast will also have his name on their foreheads.

A contrast can be seen:

I have heard many theories about the number and so far I think this is the best theory I know. What do you say? Post your thoughts.

The conventional is more likely the case. The 666 is attributed to Nero Caesar and refers to the Roman Emperor. It sets the time that the events begin in. The seven kings of the Revelation were seven claimants to the title of Caesar. Five had fallen, meaning they were already dead. The previous five had already died and that begins the story with the sixth. And then another and another finally leading to Vespasian.

Upvote 0

Emun

Aug 31, 2022
BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The conventional is more likely the case. The 666 is attributed to Nero Caesar and refers to the Roman Emperor. It sets the time that the events begin in. The seven kings of the Revelation were seven claimants to the title of Caesar. Five had fallen, meaning they were already dead. The previous five had already died and that begins the story with the sixth. And then another and another finally leading to Vespasian.
Many things don't make sense in the preterist view. Preterism is just unbiblical.

Only one fact refutes this strange view of preterism: Jesus' return will take place directly after the Antichrist and he himself would destroy the Antichrist. If Nero was the Antichrist, then Jesus' second coming would have taken place almost 2000 years ago, which clearly did not happen.

• Agree
Reactions: DavidPT
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Many things don't make sense in the preterist view. Preterism is just unbiblical.

Only one fact refutes this strange view of preterism: Jesus' return will take place directly after the Antichrist and he himself would destroy the Antichrist. If Nero was the Antichrist, then Jesus' second coming would have taken place almost 2000 years ago, which clearly did not happen.

In the plain reading of the new testament, the futurist view doesn't make sense.

Upvote 0

3 Resurrections

That's 666 YEARS, folks
Aug 21, 2021
Taylors
✟84,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

At one time, I also thought that gematria was the manner in which this number should be "calculated". Not any more.

As my tagline indicates, I believe John was intending the believers to count backwards IN TIME the number of years (666 YEARS) that this Sea Beast had existed. Remember, this Sea Beast in Revelation 13:2 was described as having the combined features of a leopard, bear and lion. All of these are Daniel's descriptors of the Greek kingdom (the leopard), the Medo-Persian empire (the bear), and the Chaldean empire (the lion) under King Nebuchadnezzar. In other words, this Sea Beast with these conglomerate features was meant to represent the biographical history of the power behind all these pagan kingdoms which had held sway in the world up to the point when John was writing Revelation - no later than early AD 60 (just before the catastrophic AD 60 Laodicean earthquake).

John called this 666 amount "the number of a MAN" because it was Daniel's statue of a MAN composed of various metals which depicted all these pagan empires. The very first "head of gold" of this man's image was comparable to the "lion" kingdom, of which Daniel said it was "made to stand upon the feet as a MAN, and a MAN'S HEART was given to it." (Daniel 7:4).

This 666-year "birthday" of the Sea Beast began when King Nebuchadnezzar (of the first, lion kingdom) deported Daniel and the first group of Jerusalem's nobility to Babylon, at which time the nation's 70 years of captivity started. This humiliating episode of the nation of Israel was burned into the memory of anyone of John's readers who had the least association with Israel's past. It would not have taken much wisdom at all for them to count backward in time from when John was writing, and identify just who John was talking about - 666 YEARS prior to that time when they received the messages of Revelation.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If we consider these points, only 2 words come into consideration. In the entire NT there are only two words that have the numerical value 666:

Pentakis can be excluded because there is really no significant connection to the beast. But Euporia with its meaning can be a candidate.

A contrast can be seen:

This is a bit of a stretch for the obvious reason that it is the number of a man. My vote is Nero Caesar. Blessings.

Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0

Emun

Aug 31, 2022
BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a bit of a stretch for the obvious reason that it is the number of a man. My vote is Nero Caesar. Blessings.
In the Greek version of Revelation 13:18 there is no article, which indicates that no single person is meant. It's possible to translate the verse this way: "for it is (a) human number and the number is 666".

If Nero or Vespasian was the Antichrist, can you explain to me where Jesus is? Because according to Revelation, Jesus will return at the end of the Antichrist's reign. So Jesus must have returned about 2000 years ago. Where is he?

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Revelation 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

IOW, this has already been fulfilled and needs to be understood like such---And Nero Caesar was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Who should we take the false prophet to be meaning then? Clearly, there are two entities being cast into the LOF here, not just one. Let me guess, no Preterist really knows for sure who the false prophet was. Some Preterists think it was meaning this person, other Preterists think it was meaning another person, so on and so on, as if it makes sense, that if Preterists are right concerning Nero Caesar, that they can't even agree with each other as to who the false prophet was.

Upvote 0

tranquil

Sep 29, 2011
with Charlie at the Chocolate Factory
✟273,648.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A contrast can be seen:

I think that this is very plausible. In 1 Thessalonians 5:3, Paul's 'peace and safety' is referencing Deuteronomy 29:18-19's 'shalom'.

18Make sure there is no man or woman, clan or tribe among you today whose heart turns away from the LORD our God to go and worship the gods of those nations. Make sure there is no root among you that bears such poisonous and bitter fruit, 19because when such a person hears the words of this oath, he invokes a blessing on himself, saying, ‘I will have peace, even though I walk in the stubbornness of my own heart.’
What is translated as 'peace' is the Hebrew word, 'shalom', which means... 'prosperity', in addition to peace and safety.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A contrast can be seen:

Consider perhaps that it has to do with the two thirds that will perish (0.666).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

A contrast can be seen:

Anyone's guess is as good as mine where Eschatology is concerned, but with Revelation specifically I tend toward the idea that the whole book should be read and reviewed as a collection of echos of Old Testament themes.

Beyond that I don't know.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the Greek version of Revelation 13:18 there is no article, which indicates that no single person is meant. It's possible to translate the verse this way: "for it is (a) human number and the number is 666".

If Nero or Vespasian was the Antichrist, can you explain to me where Jesus is? Because according to Revelation, Jesus will return at the end of the Antichrist's reign. So Jesus must have returned about 2000 years ago. Where is he?
Scripture does not tell us of one anti Christ, it tells us there are many "anti- Christs". You can find this mentioned in the books of John. We can not conflait this nomenclature with the beast which is a political system, Rome, ruled by a particular man at that time Nero. Jesus Christ of Nazareth came in judgment in 70 AD thus ending the age of Temple Judaism. We now await His Second comming where all will be resurrected, some to everlasting life others to condemnation.
Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Since Revelation 13 is addressing the name of the beast, it appears that is the name of the person after he has come back to life.

The name Adonikam means "my risen Lord".

The sons of the ancient Jewish person at the time of return from Babylonian captivity numbered 666.

So, it may be as antithetical to the sons of God, i.e. believers in Jesus,
John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

... that them who believe in the beast, who will call himself Adonikam, as "my risen Lord", will also take the 666 number affiliated with the historic Adonikam - as an identity to all that will believe in him, are marked with as sons of their god - i.e the sons of Adonikam.

The above is one train of thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emun

Aug 31, 2022
BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your facts are wrong. The Greek word with the value of 666 in the New Testament, is the word translated as Tradition.

Thank you for your correction. Unfortunately, the source I used did not contain the word paradosis. But in fact the word also has the numerical value 666.

But the video also contains an error. The claim that paradosis is the only word is wrong. Euporia also has the numerical value 666.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rinkevichjm

Nov 19, 2022
CA
✟15,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Given that the book isn’t about some future time but rather about the heavenly liturgy, the name is Nero especially as the early Christians changed it to 616 in some versions. Also the prophets are clear too. The preteristic view is really the only one that can stand as a foundation for spiritual views like the historical or futurist.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let us assume that calculating the number 666 from Revelation means gematria.
A reasonable assumption. count/calculate the number of the beast.
. the word must be a Greek word. Since the book was written in Greek, it makes absolutely no sense that the author had a Hebrew, Latin or English word in mind.
Sounds good.

I see no basis for that idea. Most names are certainly more then one word.

Why? There was no New Testament when the Revelation was written. Don't forget that the Rev was written to believers in the Seven Churches", not just folks thousands of years later That sounds like you're simply loading the boat to support a conclusion already arrived at.

If we consider these points, 1 word come into consideration.

Yep. You began with the assumption that 666 means "prosperity", then contrived "scriptural evidence" for that assumption. I can use that same "logic" that to support my contention that Paul "Chalky" White of Deptford, London, is the beast of Revelation. (He insists he's not, but then he would, wouldn't he?).

So the name of the beast is prosperity?
The Rev says it's the number of a man. Prosperity Johnson?
Sounds like something a preacher contrived for a sermon on not getting caught up in the change for material prosperity.

Upvote 0