• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

31 years clean today.

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I picked up my first (and thus far only) white chip on Friday, May 15, 1987, which is 11,323 days ago. At the time I was so out of it that I didn't know what the date really was until just recently when for some reason I went back and looked at an old calendar!

Reposting something from eleven years ago:
I come from a long line of addicts, and home life growing up was pretty bad. But even after I got past the age where I could blame my parents for my bad decisions, I kept making very bad decisions.

By the time I got out of high school I was smoking an ounce of pot a week, plus doing hash, speed, downers, Quaaludes, and acid on a fairly regular basis. I’'d tried opium (which would have become regular thing if I’'d been able to find any more), PCP, mushrooms, ether, chloroform and butyl nitrate, and in college I added MDA and some early designer drugs. I was drinking every day; a weeks total would have been at least a case of beer and a bottle of hard liquor. I also had a short encounter with morphine, which thank God didn’t happen until the end when I was getting tired of it all and had enough sense to be scared to death of it after I found out how powerful the high was.

I should have flunked out of high school, but I suppose some teacher’s liked me and others didn’t want me back. I dropped out of college. I bounced from one minimum-wage job to another. I slept on park benches a bit. I pulled a gun on someone over a 5-dollar bag of dope.

I alienated myself from every healthy person I’'d ever known, and became the person my parents had warned me about when I was a kid. I stopped talking to my family. I took pleasure in inflicting emotional cruelty on others. My life was pretty much about getting high, getting laid (trying to, anyway) and driving too fast, and figuring out how to do it more. I literally came within inches and/or seconds of death more times than I can remember. Friends and acquaintances of mine died due to accidents, overdoses and bad drugs (some of which I was doing myself). When the parties ended and I was alone with my thoughts at night, I knew that my life was as dry and empty as a tomb. I felt like garbage wrapped in skin, and yet didn’t know why because I was somehow able to tell myself that I was basically a good guy.

That’s plenty bad enough, even for a short and colorless summary, but I know people with stories that sound far worse than mine. My point isn’t about how bad it can get, but about how much hope there is that, no matter how bad it is, recovery is possible.

By the grace of God, in NA I stopped using and lost the desire to use. I went back to school and got a degree in engineering - graduated with honors, fifth in my class. I came back to Jesus, and eventually entered the Catholic Church. I have a beautiful family, life is good and I’m joyful. I speak to my parents and siblings, and they tell me how proud they are of me. People who meet me cannot picture me as a drug user. I was a Cub Scout leader for a few years.

Don’t lose hope – turn to the Lord. One night I asked Him for help, and eventually I found myself in NA. I believe that it was no coincidence, and it’s really true that He can make everything work for the good of those who love Him, for the praise and glory of His name. Just keep coming back.

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I picked up my first (and thus far only) white chip on Friday, May 15, 1987, which is 11,323 days ago. At the time I was so out of it that I didn't know what the date really was until just recently when for some reason I went back and looked at an old calendar!

Reposting something from eleven years ago:
I come from a long line of addicts, and home life growing up was pretty bad. But even after I got past the age where I could blame my parents for my bad decisions, I kept making very bad decisions.

By the time I got out of high school I was smoking an ounce of pot a week, plus doing hash, speed, downers, Quaaludes, and acid on a fairly regular basis. I’'d tried opium (which would have become regular thing if I’'d been able to find any more), PCP, mushrooms, ether, chloroform and butyl nitrate, and in college I added MDA and some early designer drugs. I was drinking every day; a weeks total would have been at least a case of beer and a bottle of hard liquor. I also had a short encounter with morphine, which thank God didn’t happen until the end when I was getting tired of it all and had enough sense to be scared to death of it after I found out how powerful the high was.

I should have flunked out of high school, but I suppose some teacher’s liked me and others didn’t want me back. I dropped out of college. I bounced from one minimum-wage job to another. I slept on park benches a bit. I pulled a gun on someone over a 5-dollar bag of dope.

I alienated myself from every healthy person I’'d ever known, and became the person my parents had warned me about when I was a kid. I stopped talking to my family. I took pleasure in inflicting emotional cruelty on others. My life was pretty much about getting high, getting laid (trying to, anyway) and driving too fast, and figuring out how to do it more. I literally came within inches and/or seconds of death more times than I can remember. Friends and acquaintances of mine died due to accidents, overdoses and bad drugs (some of which I was doing myself). When the parties ended and I was alone with my thoughts at night, I knew that my life was as dry and empty as a tomb. I felt like garbage wrapped in skin, and yet didn’t know why because I was somehow able to tell myself that I was basically a good guy.

That’s plenty bad enough, even for a short and colorless summary, but I know people with stories that sound far worse than mine. My point isn’t about how bad it can get, but about how much hope there is that, no matter how bad it is, recovery is possible.

By the grace of God, in NA I stopped using and lost the desire to use. I went back to school and got a degree in engineering - graduated with honors, fifth in my class. I came back to Jesus, and eventually entered the Catholic Church. I have a beautiful family, life is good and I’m joyful. I speak to my parents and siblings, and they tell me how proud they are of me. People who meet me cannot picture me as a drug user. I was a Cub Scout leader for a few years.

Don’t lose hope – turn to the Lord. One night I asked Him for help, and eventually I found myself in NA. I believe that it was no coincidence, and it’s really true that He can make everything work for the good of those who love Him, for the praise and glory of His name. Just keep coming back.
Congratulations! Praise God! It is great to hear such positive stories. In my professional life, I see more of the tragedies relating to drug use than I hear of successes in escaping from it. Your story gives me some hope that some of the patients I see might survive and live.

Upvote 0