Should we be homophobic, islamophobic, and xenophobic?

• YES

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • NO

Votes: 25 86.2%

• Total voters

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I missed the part in the definition that says what you did. Pick any definition of phobia that you want and I don't see how you can claim that Scripture teaches that we should ascribe to it.

Webster: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation.

Dictionary.com: a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

Given either of the definitions above, the obvious answer is NO. God does not want us to suffer phobia of anything. Sometimes it's OK to go back and rethink the logic of ones post.
Oh, you don't know the word is used that way? To imply irrational fear, as in "What are you afraid of?
THAT VERY MUCH IS HOW THEY USE IT! (As only part of a word, you might notice. Rather different meaning than the word all by itself.)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
As someone who has actually been homophobic in the sense of being actually afraid of gay people, there is a massive difference between simply thinking that homosexual acts are sinful and being afraid of gay people. One of them is an acceptable and the traditional view of the church, the other is bigotry and hatred.

That's why I hate how much these terms are thrown around these days, because the two completely different positions of being opposed to something and being afraid of something have become incorrectly lumped together.

Homophobia is a paranoia and bigotry directed against gays. It is not merely believing that homosexual acts are sins, although that can contribute to homophobia, it is not identical.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are 3 values of God that many people like to label "phobias," i.e. mental diseases.

1. Islamophobia - being AGAINST ISLAM.
2. Homophobia - being AGAINST PERVERSION.
3. Xenophobia - being AGAINST IMMIGRATION.

Because all the false accusations, that being against these things is disease (or at least like unto mental diseases), do not seem to be capable of being overthrown, that the language incorporating them is becoming ever more entrenched, it seems necessary to endorse them, take them up as one's own, in order to overcome them.

Hence the necessity to insist these values are very godly, that the godly person will endorse these values. (And the people who enjoy beating up people with these fake names of supposedly irrational fears are quite anti-God.)

Perhaps there is some inherent truth in the "phobic" designation, in that those very concerned for God, who love God greatly, will "get all upset by" recognizing these things are against the will of God and hence we should be (in the present context of language usage) islamophobic, homophobic, and xenophobic?

Phobia: An extreme or irrational fear of something.

I reject that being against Islam, homosexuality or foreigner means that you have a "fear" of them. Those who add "phobia" to the 3 terms you mention are merely attempting to demonize or villify any who might might against those respect entities. And any who just throw the "phobia" card down, have no serious desire to honestly have a discussion of the issues at hand.

God does not call us to fear any man, but rather to fear Him who can cast body and soul into Hell.

Carelessly using terms that are meaningless provides no help in seriously resolving issues or differences.

Christians do not fear or hate Muslims, but Christians who are obedient to Christ will graciously and truthfully call Muslims out of Islam and to repent of their idolatry and trust in Jesus Christ (not Issa of the Quran) of the Bible.

Christians do not fear or hate homosexuals, but Christians will call homosexuals to repent of their immorality and to trust in Jesus Christ, but to do so graciously and humbly.

Christians do not fear or hate foreigners, because if the Christian rightly understands the gospel, understands that they themselves are foreigners in a foreign land. This earth is not home for the Christians, and the Christian themselves are aliens.

• Agree
Reactions: miamited
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are 3 values of God that many people like to label "phobias," i.e. mental diseases.

Because all the false accusations, that being against these things is disease (or at least like unto mental diseases), do not seem to be capable of being overthrown, that the language incorporating them is becoming ever more entrenched, it seems necessary to endorse them, take them up as one's own, in order to overcome them.

Hence the necessity to insist these values are very godly, that the godly person will endorse these values. (And the people who enjoy beating up people with these fake names of supposedly irrational fears are quite anti-God.)

Perhaps there is some inherent truth in the "phobic" designation, in that those very concerned for God, who love God greatly, will "get all upset by" recognizing these things are against the will of God and hence we should be (in the present context of language usage) islamophobic, homophobic, and xenophobic?
phobia just means fear of tbh. I'm against homosexuality and against the islamic faith but I don't fear those things.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm against Islam because it is heretical and demonic. I'm also against homosexuality because it is sinful. But I don't see any biblical principles that would make a person patently against immigration. Where are you getting that third one from?

And you're against homosexuality because it is a sin? What about the gay man that lives his life pure and chaste and virginal. How is his homosexuality a sin?

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And you're against homosexuality because it is a sin? What about the gay man that lives his life pure and chaste and virginal. How is his homosexuality a sin?

To clarify, homosexual behavior is a sin. Homosexual desires (desires for gay sex) also should be considered sinful, but I believe that the person struggling with homosexual desires and yet not acting on them can live a life of faith in Jesus.

Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One point: way I see it, it is NOTHING SPIRITUAL. It is flesh for flesh - going for better ways from the immigrant point of view, to provide for flesh. OF THE FLESH, NOT OF GOD (the Spirit).

The guy lying in the ditch for the Good Samaritan is a good sample. He was obviously FAR AWAY from his home and look what happened to him!
Any foreigner who wanted to live within the nation of Israel was required to live by the Laws and Statutes of God that He gave to Israel, they were not to practice their former religion and they were not teach anything but the law of God to their children. If they refused they were to be put out of the congregation of Israel. If they agreed they were to be treated as one born in the land. Israel was not to turn away any foreign alien who wished to live as God instructed but they were not to accept any foreign alien to live among them who refused to obey God's Laws. Israelites were not to marry foreigners who did not worship the God of Israel THE WAY GOD SAID TO WORSHIP HIM! The very same rules were given to Christians. If nonbelievers wanted to change and become Christian they were to be accepted there was to be no difference between Christians based on their race or nationality as far as Christian living expectations. But a Christian was and still is not to become married to a nonbeliever. If they were married to a person who didn't believe prior to being converted they were and are to remain married if their spouse wants to stay with them. God has always told His people to remember the alien and never forget that you were aliens too.
I think I understand what is being said about the other phobias, society today labels any disagreement as a phobia against something, otherwise you wouldn't disagree! That is pure left field liberal thinking and is not the reasoning of a sound mind based on the mind of Christ.

Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible says if you lust after someone even in your heart (or mind) you have sinned. I'm not saying "you" just using the pronoun. So in the scenario you put forth a gay man who lusts after men but never acts on it has still sinned but so has any man who has lusted after a woman or a woman after a man or a woman after a woman. They MUST all admit their sin and ask forgiveness...so we are all guilty even if we don't act on it. I guess the point is to never say that homosexuality is not a sin, it is the wrong use and desire of sex which God created to be between a husband and wife only.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Homophobia is a paranoia and bigotry directed against gays. It is not merely believing that homosexual acts are sins, although that can contribute to homophobia, it is not identical.

It is used as name-calling against anyone who opposes perversion.

In other words, if you side with God against perversion, you will be labelled that!

• Agree
Reactions: danstribe
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
phobia just means fear of tbh. I'm against homosexuality and against the islamic faith but I don't fear those things.
Being against them YOU WILL BE CALLED "HOMOPHOBIC" AND "ISLAMOPHOBIC."

So that is how they are used, and therefore their meaning (one of them).

I pointed out in another post that it is not "phobic" per se we are talking about; that is half of other words and not the same when only part of a word - used differently, with somewhat different meaning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Any foreigner who wanted to live within the nation of Israel was required to live by the Laws and Statutes of God that He gave to Israel, they were not to practice their former religion and they were not teach anything but the law of God to their children. If they refused they were to be put out of the congregation of Israel. If they agreed they were to be treated as one born in the land. Israel was not to turn away any foreign alien who wished to live as God instructed but they were not to accept any foreign alien to live among them who refused to obey God's Laws. Israelites were not to marry foreigners who did not worship the God of Israel THE WAY GOD SAID TO WORSHIP HIM! The very same rules were given to Christians. If nonbelievers wanted to change and become Christian they were to be accepted there was to be no difference between Christians based on their race or nationality as far as Christian living expectations. But a Christian was and still is not to become married to a nonbeliever. If they were married to a person who didn't believe prior to being converted they were and are to remain married if their spouse wants to stay with them. God has always told His people to remember the alien and never forget that you were aliens too.
I think I understand what is being said about the other phobias, society today labels any disagreement as a phobia against something, otherwise you wouldn't disagree! That is pure left field liberal thinking and is not the reasoning of a sound mind based on the mind of Christ.

I guess that would mean at least no Muslim immigration.

"Remembering" aliens is not the same thing as welcoming any and all, or even any.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Phobia: An extreme or irrational fear of something.

I reject that being against Islam, homosexuality or foreigner means that you have a "fear" of them. Those who add "phobia" to the 3 terms you mention are merely attempting to demonize or villify any who might might against those respect entities. And any who just throw the "phobia" card down, have no serious desire to honestly have a discussion of the issues at hand.

God does not call us to fear any man, but rather to fear Him who can cast body and soul into Hell.

Carelessly using terms that are meaningless provides no help in seriously resolving issues or differences.

Christians do not fear or hate Muslims, but Christians who are obedient to Christ will graciously and truthfully call Muslims out of Islam and to repent of their idolatry and trust in Jesus Christ (not Issa of the Quran) of the Bible.

Christians do not fear or hate homosexuals, but Christians will call homosexuals to repent of their immorality and to trust in Jesus Christ, but to do so graciously and humbly.

Christians do not fear or hate foreigners, because if the Christian rightly understands the gospel, understands that they themselves are foreigners in a foreign land. This earth is not home for the Christians, and the Christian themselves are aliens.

Among other things IT IS HOW WE GET LABELLED. That is what I am pointing to, that meaning.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Being against them YOU WILL BE CALLED "HOMOPHOBIC" AND "ISLAMOPHOBIC."

So that is how they are used, and therefore their meaning (one of them).

I pointed out in another post that it is not "phobic" per se we are talking about; that is half of other words and not the same when only part of a word - used differently, with somewhat different meaning.

So I would then argue that the terms are simply misused.... People say they are christians all the time just for believing God but that doesn't' mean that's what a christian is.

A christian=christ like beyond just believing in God but striving to be like him.

• Agree
Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess that would mean at least no Muslim immigration.

"Remembering" aliens is not the same thing as welcoming any and all, or even any.
As Christians we are not to tolerate or accept other religions to be equal with ours or to even acknowledge them as anything other than idolatry or false religions but we are not to do violence or have hatred toward other people, we can hate sin but not the sinner. We are commanded by Christ to pray for those who hate us and do good to those who use us. But America is a nation that has capitulated it's God given blessings and now accepts any and all religions but originally it was not so. When God's Kingdom reigns on this earth there will only be one religion but Christ is the one who will eliminate all others.
As far as aliens or immigrants they must be legal and they must obey the laws it's just too bad that we are not a nation of God's Laws anymore and I'm not talking about stoning and such but of respect and honor, no lying and stealing or hating or coveting and any other. Great question, glad you asked it!

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As someone who has actually been homophobic in the sense of being actually afraid of gay people, there is a massive difference between simply thinking that homosexual acts are sinful and being afraid of gay people. One of them is an acceptable and the traditional view of the church, the other is bigotry and hatred.

That's why I hate how much these terms are thrown around these days, because the two completely different positions of being opposed to something and being afraid of something have become incorrectly lumped together.

Do you agree with this article?

Arguing Against Homosexuality Based On Its "Yuck Factor" is Gross

First, appealing to the “yuck factor” is a bad way to go because there are thousands and thousands of people who have no “yuck factor” whatsoever when they watch lesbians or when they think about places that excrete waste. This underestimates how many people like to watch all kinds of sex acts, as is testified by the booming online industry for inappropriate content of all kinds. Additionally, “yuck” is horribly subjective. I get sick thinking about potatoes au gratin. I hate those things. You simply cannot count on the “yuck factor” to win the argument because some people really, really like what both he and I might think is terribly disgusting.

Second, vivid descriptions of sexual acts, including “hetero-normal” sex acts, are gross. I hope that Pastor Anyabwile never reads A Game of Thrones because heterosexual sex is described in such a way that it nearly completely discourages the practice. Besides, if we tried to get rid of behaviors by describing them, “deep kissing” would be the first thing to go. Our mouths are such nasty places that we have to brush them with minty toothbrushes twice a day and floss after meals. Next time you see a mouth breather you might think, “Someone might want to stick their tongue in that entrance for food. Yuck.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

My only concern here, is that I don't see any basis for saying God is against legal migration of people, or the flight of His people from persecution.

So if Christians or Jews are being persecuted, their safe migration from danger is something to pray for.

However, I do believe illegal economic migration is sinful.

• Agree
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
So I would then argue that the terms are simply misused.... People say they are christians all the time just for believing God but that doesn't' mean that's what a christian is.

A christian=christ like beyond just believing in God but striving to be like him.

Yes of course the terms are being somewhat misused, but try persuading those who use them to stop. They are ways to browbeat, to suggest IRRATIONALITY and bigotry having no basis, when condemning these things is THE POSITION OF GOD.

Many have pointed out much usage amounts to no more than NAME-CALLING, but of course that does not deter those who are intent on being anti-God.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
As Christians we are not to tolerate or accept other religions to be equal with ours or to even acknowledge them as anything other than idolatry or false religions but we are not to do violence or have hatred toward other people, we can hate sin but not the sinner. We are commanded by Christ to pray for those who hate us and do good to those who use us. But America is a nation that has capitulated it's God given blessings and now accepts any and all religions but originally it was not so.

In America we have freedom of religion as a fundamental right, and it has always been so.

"Hate the sin, love the sinner". You know, that doesn't even appear in the Bible. Augustine said it. And in my experience, it never works that well.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
My only concern here, is that I don't see any basis for saying God is against legal migration of people, or the flight of His people from persecution.

So if Christians or Jews are being persecuted, their safe migration from danger is something to pray for.

However, I do believe illegal economic migration is sinful.

Be vigorously opposed to illegal immigration and you will be called xenophobic. And since you are then on the side of God against sin, essentially God is being accused WITH A RATHER FOUL NAME.

Pointing this out might be useful - POINT OUT YOU ARE ON GOD'S SIDE, if that is the case.
Perhaps it can take some of the sting out of foul names if it is recognized they equally apply to God.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
In America we have freedom of religion as a fundamental right, and it has always been so.

"Hate the sin, love the sinner". You know, that doesn't even appear in the Bible. Augustine said it. And in my experience, it never works that well.

Conversely, in my experience, it works extremely well.

• Agree
Upvote 0