Should we be homophobic, islamophobic, and xenophobic?

• YES

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • NO

Votes: 25 86.2%

• Total voters

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
At least, it's not something I find persuasive just based on the merits of hygene alone. Alot of other unhygenic things aren't sinful.

People end up in the emergency room from straight sex. Sometimes with serious injuries. You rarely hear about it though, perhaps for obvious reasons (we just don't talk alot about sex period). One reason I don't like the "yuck" and "hygene" arguments. The more you know about sex in general, the less appealing those arguments are.

What about degrading and disrespectful?

Is that applicable to heterosexuality too?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
What about degrading and disrespectful?

Is that applicable to heterosexuality too?

If you believe gay sex is immoral, then speaking of degradation or disresepect would be more relevant.

Straight sex could be degrading and disrespectful. Casual sex, for instance.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you believe gay sex is immoral, then speaking of degradation or disresepect would be more relevant.

Straight sex could be degrading and disrespectful. Casual sex, for instance.

I'm talking about sex itself.

I've read on one Christian site that one cannot truly respect a naked person. Doesn't mean there's anything sinful about it but still.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm talking about sex itself.

I've read on one Christian site that one cannot truly respect a naked person. Doesn't mean there's anything sinful about it but still.

Nakedness shows vulnerability. That's an image in the Bible and in the wider culture. But I wouldn't say seeing a person naked is automatically disrespectful.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Nakedness shows vulnerability. That's an image in the Bible and in the wider culture. But I wouldn't say seeing a person naked is automatically disrespectful.

Meaning?

It said not truly respectful, not outright disrespect. It is indignity at least. Agree?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you are trying to ask, do I think straight sex is gross or disrespectful? No. But keep in mind, it is seen as gross by some people, people that are asexual or gay, for instance.

• Agree
Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In America we have freedom of religion as a fundamental right, and it has always been so.

"Hate the sin, love the sinner". You know, that doesn't even appear in the Bible. Augustine said it. And in my experience, it never works that well.
You are quite right but the principle of hating the sin and loving the sinner is correct. When people first came to America it was for the freedom to worship the God of the Bible as they thought was appropriate since in European countries you could be killed for not adhering to the religion of the state, it was for the Christian religion not for every religion of the world although it has evolved to that condition today.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Meaning?

It said not truly respectful, not outright disrespect. It is indignity at least. Agree?

Not all vulnerability is bad. Vulnerability can push us out of our comfort zone which is an important part of spiritual and mental growth. Think of Jesus washing Peter's feet. Jesus was making himself vulnerable, and challenging Peter to do the same as his master. He was challenging Peter to move out of his comfort zone, making him vulnerable in the process and exposing his discomfort with accepting humility (we see this repeatedly with Peter).

There's a really good bit of theology by the former Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, called The Body's Grace, that I think is worth reading on this subject of how vulnerability in sex can be a good thing, even if the sex itself is less than morally praiseworthy.

BTW, the original baptismal rite in most churches involved nudity.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not all vulnerability is bad. Vulnerability can push us out of our comfort zone which is an important part of spiritual and mental growth. Think of Jesus washing Peter's feet. Jesus was making himself vulnerable, and challenging Peter to do the same as his master. He was challenging Peter to move out of his comfort zone, making him vulnerable in the process and exposing his discomfort with accepting humility (we see this repeatedly with Peter).

There's a really good bit of theology by the former Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, called The Body's Grace, that I think is worth reading on this subject of how vulnerability in sex can be a good thing, even if the sex itself is less than morally praiseworthy.

BTW, the original baptismal rite in most churches involved nudity.

vulnerability meaning?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You are quite right but the principle of hating the sin and loving the sinner is correct. When people first came to America

Excuse me, but the first people in America weren't even Christians. They were the ancestors of American Indians. But of the European settlers, not all were escaping religious persecution. In fact large sections of the south had a state church, usually the Church of England (what later became the Episcopal Church). So what you are describing is not typical of all early American settlers. In fact the earliest American colony was started in Virginia with profit as the only motive.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It is indignity. Do you agree?

No, because indignity implies that something isn't worthy of respect and honor. Two married people having sex isn't unlawful or immoral, so it should be considered honorable and having dignity.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
vulnerability meaning?

Potential emotional hurt or offense. That's what vulnerability is about. Stripping down naked, people can check you out. They could crack a joke about your figure, about your sexual desirability etc. You are making yourself vulnerable, and you are handing over your sense of dignity to them and trusting them not to hurt you in return. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, it depends on the situation.

I guess I have read so much academic stuff, I am not used to having to try to define terms. I just understand them intuitively.

What about indecent and improper?

No

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
No, because indignity implies that something isn't worthy of respect and honor. Two married people having sex isn't unlawful or immoral, so it should be considered honorable and having dignity.

If the "two married people" are engaging in sexual perversion, then it should never be considered honorable, only anti-God and totally despicable. Pseudo"marriage" in that case, certainly not true marriage before God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

What is your view on this article?

Gay Marriage & Christian Hypocrisy

When it says "united in law," it is talking about the law of the state, not the law of God. The "legal duties" are not referring to those listed out in God's Word, but those listed out in the contract concerning the protection of corporate assets with each spouse towards the state.

It seems flawed to me.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If the "two married people" are engaging in sexual perversion, then it should never be considered honorable, only anti-God and totally despicable. Pseudo"marriage" in that case, certainly not true marriage before God.

What do you mean by sexual perversion?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Potential emotional hurt or offense. That's what vulnerability is about. Stripping down naked, people can check you out. They could crack a joke about your figure, about your sexual desirability etc. You are making yourself vulnerable, and you are handing over your sense of dignity to them and trusting them not to hurt you in return. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, it depends on the situation.

I guess I have read so much academic stuff, I am not used to having to try to define terms. I just understand them intuitively.

No

I've heard people say "improperly, before married".

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

What is the difference between sinful and despicable?

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
What is the difference between sinful and despicable?
Sinful would be against God.

Disgusting rather minor habits might be the basis for categorizing someone/something as despicable, without the perhaps aesthetic features being anything against God.

Upvote 0