3 people dead after gunman targeted Black people in Jacksonville, Florida, officials say

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Three people were killed Saturday in a racially motivated attack after a gunman targeted Black people at a Dollar General store in Jacksonville, Florida, in one of several weekend shootings that again shocked Americans in public places – from stores to football games to parades.

“This shooting was racially motivated and he hated Black people,” Jacksonville Sheriff T.K. Waters said at a news conference early Saturday evening.

Waters said the shooter, who he described as a White man in his 20s, shot and killed himself after the attack. The suspect left behind what the sheriff described as three manifestos outlining his “disgusting ideology of hate” and his motive in the attack.

The sheriff said investigators believe the gunman acted alone and wore both a tactical vest and mask during the attack. He was armed with an AR-15 style rifle and a handgun.

The shooter was the subject of a 2017 law enforcement call under the Baker Act, which allows people to be involuntarily detained and subject to an examination for up to 72 hours during a mental health crisis.

Deegan said the shooter’s writings indicated he was aware of a mass shooting at a Jacksonville gaming event where two people were killed exactly five years earlier, and may have chosen the date of his attack to coincide with that anniversary.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I want to know how somebody who was Baker Acted can get guns like AR-15's? Our system is failing if we allow mentally ill people easy access to assault rifles.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Three people were killed Saturday in a racially motivated attack after a gunman targeted Black people at a Dollar General store in Jacksonville, Florida, in one of several weekend shootings that again shocked Americans in public places – from stores to football games to parades.
It strains credulity to say people are shocked.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

“This shooting was racially motivated and he hated Black people,” Jacksonville Sheriff T.K. Waters said at a news conference early Saturday evening.

Waters said the shooter, who he described as a White man in his 20s, shot and killed himself after the attack. The suspect left behind what the sheriff described as three manifestos outlining his “disgusting ideology of hate” and his motive in the attack.

The sheriff said investigators believe the gunman acted alone and wore both a tactical vest and mask during the attack. He was armed with an AR-15 style rifle and a handgun.

The shooter was the subject of a 2017 law enforcement call under the Baker Act, which allows people to be involuntarily detained and subject to an examination for up to 72 hours during a mental health crisis.

Deegan said the shooter’s writings indicated he was aware of a mass shooting at a Jacksonville gaming event where two people were killed exactly five years earlier, and may have chosen the date of his attack to coincide with that anniversary.

Sad.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I want to know how somebody who was Baker Acted can get guns like AR-15's? Our system is failing if we allow mentally ill people easy access to assault rifles.

Well he was detained for 72 hours...but I'm not familiar with the Baker Act. It doesn't make it clear if he was diagnosed.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@ a prayer vigil on Sunday:

DeSantis then told the crowd the gunman was "a major-league scumbag" and said in Florida "we're not going to let people be targeted based on their race."

Shortly after DeSantis spoke, Jeffrey Rumlin, a pastor at the Dayspring Church in Jacksonville, took the microphone and said of the shooter: "At the end of the day, respectfully, governor, he was not a scumbag. He was a racist."

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I want to know how somebody who was Baker Acted can get guns like AR-15's?
Is this a serious question? ANYONE can get a gun if they want to. It's easier than buying booze in some cases. And racism certainly won't make it any harder.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
DeSantis then told the crowd the gunman was "a major-league scumbag" and said in Florida "we're not going to let people be targeted based on their race."
His talk is cheap and ,imho, just ear tickling.I wonder what he plans to do to stop racism. :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Because Palmeter was released after the examination, that would have not shown up on his background checks.

I don't know if it's significant, but the timeline suggests he was 15 or so at the time of that incident.

Other details: Murderer originally showed up at an HBCU, thought possibly to be his original target. Campus police pulled up next to him, and he drove away. Campus police called a sheriff, who was about to alert the department when the shooting began at the store.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

That's what I'm wondering. I'm not sure it's the same thing, but I had to have my father 5150'd a few years ago because he was experiencing dementia-like symptoms and yet determined to get in his truck and drive somewhere (and tried to fight me when I told him he wouldn't be doing that). Even though the observation period (which I remember being 48 hours, not 72) passed without incident because he was back to reality by some point in the hospital (he suffered from Hepatic Encephalopathy for the last ~5 years of his life, so he'd go in and out of these altered mental states at random), the police who originally answered my call took his pistol away and never gave it back. Not even when he went to the station in our little hometown to demand it back because he was moving to Idaho.

It seems like the Baker Act might be a step further than what I had to do, yet this young man was still allowed access to guns. That's very strange to me. This seems like a tragedy that could've been either entirely prevented, or at least made considerably more difficult to accomplish than it ultimately was.

I think if I were from any other place in the world and looking in on America from the outside, I would feel very anxious about ever going there. There are simply too many mentally unwell people and too many guns, and that's never a good mix.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It's 2023... the real question is why are crazy people not angry at the CIA, like normal crazy people? Why are they angry at minorities? It couldn't have anything to do with certain political factions basically using code and dog whistles to pin all the ill of America on them (like the recent "riggers in Atlanta" meme), now could it?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The man, identified Sunday as 21-year-old Ryan Christopher Palmeter of Clay County, Fla., on Saturday drove to Edward Waters University, a historically Black college, but was refused entry, according to the school. He then drove to the nearby store, where he opened fire using an AR-15-style rifle inscribed with Nazi insignia, authorities said.

Jacksonville police on Sunday said law enforcement had been called about Palmeter previously in a domestic incident, and he also had been held during a mental health crisis. But those cases did not result in a criminal record, so there was no legal reason to stop him from acquiring the guns he purchased this year between April and July.

--

Context from 5 years ago.

"How do we make sure that individuals with mental illness do not touch a gun," Governor Rick Scott asked Thursday morning.

But as Florida's Governor calls for change following a Valentine's Day massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Broward County Wednesday, we found laws on guns and the mentally ill remain full of exceptions.

According to state law, while people institutionalized against their will, commonly known as the Baker Act, are prohibited from purchasing firearms, those who voluntarily commit themselves and stay on a voluntary status can obtain guns. In addition, if a doctor determines a person's "dangerousness" is not imminent, Florida laws says they can buy guns.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
President Biden released a statement Sunday afternoon condemning the attack, noting there was added symbolism in the killings “fueled by hate-filled animus” that took place on the 60th anniversary of the March on Washington.

I don't think this was a coincidence. Somebody was trying to send a very ugly message.

Upvote 0