bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Endure Hardship

2Tim 2:3,4
Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs— he wants to please his commanding officer.

As I commented previously in chapter 1, becoming a Christian is free, much like joining the US Marines is free. And though it is quite different than the sense inherent in Militant Islamo-facism, we Christians are analogous to soldiers. Though perhaps firemen might be the better analogy. In either case, Jesus is to be viewed as our Lord. Those who view him as merely Savior, but not Lord have entered through the window and not through the door. Since Jesus is Lord we make it our aim to comply with Him in all things. Jesus is our commanding officer. We are His "friends" in so much as we obey His commands. John 15:14 "You are my friends if you do what I command."

But what would constitute "civilian affairs" to be avoided? Perhaps that is what Paul was alluding to when he said, "From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away. I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs— how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world— how he can please his wife— and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world— how she can please her husband. I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord." 1Cor 7:29-35

In other words, there are things what are optional in life - things which are not bad in themselves, but may unnecessarily drain our time, energy and resources, making us unavailable for ministry. So beware of being engrossed in the temporal things of this life and missing out on affecting people's eternal destiny.

Reactions: bigoink

bigoink

EVA
May 1, 2022
WA
✟12,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
To your final point, My Dad and I spoke about this recently: What does it truly mean when called to "Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:11-12 ESV

Upvote 0