2Thess 2:6,7 Who is holding him back?

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Who is holding him back?

2Thess 2:6,7 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way.

Who is holding him back? I believe Paul is referring to the Holy Spirit holding him back. Though some say that it is the church which is holding him back and that the Rapture takes the restriction away. But this is not true. For the Rapture doesn't occur until after the rebellion and the anti-Christ is revealed. Furthermore the "one" is singular (literally masculine singular), not a community, just as the Holy Spirit is spoken of in the masculine singular in John 16:13

But then others object to it being the Holy Spirit in that if the Holy Spirit is taken away, then he would have to take the Christians with Him, else they would be without the Holy Spirit. But this is a misunderstanding of the diversity of the roles of the Holy Spirit. He permanently indwells those born of God. But He also interacts with unbelievers. He interacts with them to lead them to Christ. And He also interacts with them to restrict their lawlessness! Perhaps he is what even unbelievers at times call their "conscience". Taking away the conscience of unbelievers is not to say that He leaves the world, nor is it to say the He leaves the believers. But without a conscience, it is inevitable that the world will show its true colors - its hostility against God and God's people. Thus Paul writes of such on effect in Romans "Since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done." Rom 1:28

But Paul's main point is that in his time he will be revealed and the Christians will know it. So this is not a secret hidden event which can be easily overlooked.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe Paul is pointing to the Archangel Michael holding the Antichrist back.

The Daniel 10 chapter is about events that take place in the heavenly. The "prince of Persia" there actually represents Satan. The angel talking to Daniel is most likely Gabriel.

Dan 10:13-14
13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

14 Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days.
KJV

Dan 10:20-21
20 Then said he, Knowest thou wherefore I come unto thee? and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come.

21 But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.
KJV

Upvote 0