Visit site
✟84,202.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems that the Holy Spirit can be in a person, on a person, and next to a person. In this thread, I am interested in any OT person who might have the Spirit in him and not just on him. Before the flood, Genesis 6:
3a Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh.”

Pharaoh thought Joseph was one, Genesis 41:
38 And Pharaoh said to his servants, “Can we find a man like this, in whom is the Spirit of God?”

Joshua had the Spirit in him, Numbers 27:
18 So the LORD said to Moses, “Take Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay your hand on him.
The Hebrew proposition is בו:
בּוֹ • (bo)
Form of בְּ־‎ (b-) including third-person masculine singular personal pronoun as an object.

Ezekiel 2:
2 As he spoke, the Spirit came into me and raised me to my feet, and I heard him speaking to me.
Again, Ezekiel 3:
24 Then the Spirit came into me and raised me to my feet. He spoke to me and said: “Go, shut yourself inside your house.
Ezekiel 11:
19a I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them.

It seems that the Holy Spirit dwells in a person permanently only after Jesus' death on the cross.

Other examples of OT people who had the Spirit from the outside and not inside:

Last edited:

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,985.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The first person stated in Scripture to be filled.. Bezaleel - the architect of God's sanctuary or some reference it as Moses' tabernacle.
"And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
2 See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah:
3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,
To devise cunning works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass, 5 And in cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of timber, to work in all manner of workmanship. And I, behold, I have given with him Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan: and in the hearts of all that are wise hearted I have put wisdom, that they may make all that I have commanded thee;" (Exo 31:1-6) KJV

"Adonai said to Moshe, 2 “I have singled out B’tzal’el the son of Uri the son of Hur, of the tribe of Y’hudah. 3 I have filled him with the Spirit of God — with wisdom, understanding and knowledge concerning every kind of artisanry. 4 He is a master of design in gold, silver, bronze, 5 cutting precious stones to be set, woodcarving and every other craft." "....they are to make everything just as I have ordered you" CJB v 11

KJV states spirit of God while numerous other versions including CJB state Spirit of God.

The Spirit of God to man includes -
"And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord;" Isa 11:2

These are in Exo 31 by stating Bezaleel is filled. The fear of the Lord is understood. As Brinny, another CF poster, stated on another thread "There is, however, it seems, a "pre-requisite" to being given wisdom from God. And that is to "fear God", as in this verse from Proverbs:
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Proverbs 9:10
It seems that Bezaleel "feared God" in order to be filled with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding."

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,202.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,
Thanks for sharing.

Bezaleel was filled with the Spirit. However, the Hebrew proposition בו: (in) is not used.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,931,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 51
1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy lovingkindness:
According unto the multitude of Thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity,
And cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions:
And my sin is ever before me.
4 Against Thee, Thee only, have I sinned,
And done this evil in Thy sight:
That Thou mightest be justified when Thou speakest,
And be clear when Thou judgest.
5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity;
And in sin did my mother conceive me.
6 Behold, Thou desirest truth in the inward parts:
And in the hidden part Thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean:
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me to hear joy and gladness;
That the bones which Thou hast broken may rejoice.
9 Hide Thy face from my sins,
And blot out all mine iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God;
And renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from Thy presence;
And ~take not Thy Holy Spirit from me.~
12 Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation;
And uphold me with Thy free spirit.
13 Then will I teach transgressors Thy ways;
And sinners shall be converted unto Thee.
14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, Thou God of my salvation:
And my tongue shall sing aloud of Thy righteousness.
15 O Lord, open Thou my lips;
And my mouth shall shew forth Thy praise.
16 For Thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it:
Thou delightest not in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit:
A broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.
18 Do good in Thy good pleasure unto Zion:
Build Thou the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then shalt Thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering:
Then shall they offer bullocks upon Thine altar.

Interestingly, God forgave David of his two horrible AND intentional sins, w/o a sacrifice being made by him to secure His forgiveness (of course, I do not believe that an animal sacrifice actually covered "intentional" sins in the OT). Apparently, the Holy Spirit did not leave him, though he did lose the "joy" of his salvation (not salvation itself), when he committed those sins and then failed to repent of them (well, until Nathan came along anyway, then he repented immediately).

David believed that the Holy Spirit 'could' be taken from him however, which seems to indicate, again, that in the OT, the Holy Spirit indwelt believers, but not necessarily on a permanent basis (like He does in believers today, since AD 33, IOW).

--David

• Useful
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,931,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Brother (@tonychanyt), interestingly, it is this incident, the Lord forgiving King David for adultery and murder w/o a requiring a sacrifice from him, that is (2 Samuel 12:13) that the Jews have used (since AD 70) to explain how their sins can be forgiven (w/o sacrifice, of goat or bull, and without the Savior). Their "forgiveness" is merited "willy-nilly", by the simple act of them asking to be forgiven, IOW, even though forgiveness, historically, required an atoning sacrifice.

I believe it is the official teaching of what is known as, Rabbinic Judaism, that forms the basis for this new teaching of theirs concerning forgiveness (along with their other traditional teaching that sacrifices cannot be made outside of the Temple in Jerusalem).

It might make for an interesting thread (if you'd care to engage some of our Jewish members, that is).

God bless you!!

--David

• Useful

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,931,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Where are they?
I believe that they may have their own home board here, but they are all just here, like the rest of us (I was just posting in a thread a couple of days ago with Robban, who is one of our Jewish members who posts pretty frequently).

JCC- Jewish Community Center here at CF has a board called, "Ask a Jew what's nu", just FYI :) (whoops, it looks like that board is restricted to interactions between Jews and Messianic Jews, but I'm sure they will tell you where you can ask questions of them, our Jewish members, that is, if you post on that board and ask them).

• Informative
Upvote 0