23% of world’s nations used force to halt religious gatherings in 2020: Pew report

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,200.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I didn't say that you are a racist/sexist. I said that your statement was racist/sexist. There is a difference.

I made a statement about a compact; and you made no comment on the merits of the compact. Instead the foundation of our culture was dismissed in a manner condescending to white males.

If I dismissed your ideas, your philosophy, as coming from someone of your race and gender; I suspect that you would find such a statement to be offensive. Even if you didn't, many onlookers would.
You said "the American people have chosen".
I pointed out that, (far from " just as today")
It was white men only voting or voted for.

Where's a reason for a dispute or allegations in that?

When, say, Trump, or anyone else in today's America
makes a"racist" or 'sexist" statement
then the individual is invariably called a racist.

"He says racist things but is not a racist" is
not how it works. It's a distinction without a
difference.

Identifying someone as a white man is not
racist or sexist any more than me saying I
am a Chinese woman. Anyone can say it.
I won't be offended.

I can accept you don't intend to call me a racist,

then all thats nended is to do was say it's
not intended.
That's why I asked.

Ive pointed out, correctly, that the writers of the
constitution represented the white male
population. Or actually less than 1/3 of
them, 250 years ago.

Its a choice to think that stating facts is
somehow dismissive or contemptuous of
the foundation of your culture, or of anything else.

All that is true and good can stand up to
facts quite well.

Actually I think the men who wrote your constitution
did a really incredibly good job, and I see nothing
in it to criticize.

It wouldn't hurt to ask me what I
mean rather than jumping to an
unfortunate conclusion.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,200.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think that dismantled rather than mocked would be better suited in this case.
Mockery and name calling properly should
result in a suspension from posting privileges.

As for "dismanteled", why do you say that?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Mockery and name calling properly should
result in a suspension from posting privileges.

As for "dismanteled", why do you say that?
Because his argument was...dismantled.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,956.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Governments in nearly a quarter of the world’s nations, including the United States, used force to prevent religious gatherings during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, a new Pew Research Center study says.

Twenty-three percent of world governments employed “arrests and detentions; physical assaults; damage, confiscation or raiding of private property; displacements of people from their homes; or killings” to enforce restrictions on religious gatherings in the first year of the pandemic, according to Pew’s “How COVID-19 Restrictions Affected Religious Groups Around the World in 2020” report.

Our church started online services and there was never a prohibition on these. Given that members are still catching covid this has been a blessing to older members scared of covid. But most of our members now are back in physical church, most are vaccinated and then boosted and many have had covid and because vaccinated survived it with no problems. During the black death, priests kept giving communion and their death rate was even higher than the general population. That harmed the church in Europe for centuries following that.

• Informative
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Our church started online services and there was never a prohibition on these. Given that members are still catching covid this has been a blessing to older members scared of covid. But most of our members now are back in physical church, most are vaccinated and then boosted and many have had covid and because vaccinated survived it with no problems. During the black death, priests kept giving communion and their death rate was even higher than the general population. That harmed the church in Europe for centuries following that.
Our church didn't stop meeting.

No one died.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,981.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
In absence of stats, I'll have to go with the empirical evidence.
Anecdotal evidence, especially singular anecdotal evidence, is about as useful as a stuffed aardvark for aquifer detection.
However, you have answered the question - you think anecdotal evidence is valuable when discussing serious matters. That certainly clarifies things and is useful to know. Not logical, not scientific, but if it makes you happy - go for it.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Anecdotal evidence, especially singular anecdotal evidence, is about as useful as a stuffed aardvark for aquifer detection.
However, you have answered the question - you think anecdotal evidence is valuable when discussing serious matters. That certainly clarifies things and is useful to know. Not logical, not scientific, but if it makes you happy - go for it.
Science is built on empirical evidence. I provided empirical evidence. If you were to provide a more comprehensive analysis of the particular set of circumstances that I presented; then the case that I had presented could be considered anecdotal.

You have thus far failed to present the evidence to render the empirical evidence as anecdotal.

Argumetum ad ignorantiam is illogical.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
These are voluntary assemblies under U.S. law; but under YHWH's law they're mandatory.

I think that the U.S. should adopt YHWH's standards.

Not true. The New Testament gives no specific day or time in which Christian must gather for worship, regardless of external circumstances.

Colossians 2:16

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Not true. The New Testament gives no specific day or time in which Christian must gather for worship, regardless of external circumstances.

Colossians 2:16
Paul is telling his disciples not to let the Pagans and Gnostics judge them for following YHWH's word. Paul followed YHWH's word. Paul followed Yahshua.

I created a thread on the subject here: Colossians 2:16

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,981.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You have thus far failed to present the evidence to render the empirical evidence as anecdotal.

Argumetum ad ignorantiam is illogical.
You have presented only a personal story to support your position. Personal stories are, by definition anecdotes. Thus your evidence is anecdotal. This is not rocket science.
The breadth of serious research presenting a different conclusion is readily available to you. I am not obligated to support such well established concensus positions by doing your literature search for you. If you don't accept the scientific concensus it is your obligation to challenge them with something other than anecdotes. Your inability to do so is duly noted.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You have presented only a personal story to support your position. Personal stories are, by definition anecdotes. Thus your evidence is anecdotal. This is not rocket science.
The breadth of serious research presenting a different conclusion is readily available to you. I am not obligated to support such well established concensus positions by doing your literature search for you. If you don't accept the scientific concensus it is your obligation to challenge them with something other than anecdotes. Your inability to do so is duly noted.
Your failure to produce any evidence to refute the evidence that I presented is duly noted.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,981.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Your failure to produce any evidence to refute the evidence that I presented is duly noted.
I'm charmed to see you've lost none of your youthful playground rhetorical antics. :) It's good to feel young! I'll leave the last word to you.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'm charmed to see you've lost none of your youthful playground rhetorical antics. :) It's good to feel young! I'll leave the last word to you.
I didn't go to church this morning. Another round of Covid swept through our church last week. Our Pastor and his wife got it. They're vaccinated. Coincidentally, I just got off the phone with his wife, right before I logged on to CF, to find your post first on the list of my new alerts. I generally take them in the order that they are received.

She told me that she has had it several times now; and that to the best of her knowledge, she has caught it each time from people who have been vaccinated.

One of the women who caught it this time, has chronic respiratory problems. I had great concern for her; but my Pastor's wife tells me that she had been calling to check on her every day last week, and she is doing just fine.

I'm not vaccinated; and I didn't get it this time. Maybe I have a strong natural immunity now. Go figure.

So it seems that everyone will live through this round again. I'm sorry if our church does align with the stats that you have failed to produce. Maybe it's a God thing. Do you have any stats on how God works for his people?

Upvote 0