Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Has anyone ever done a reading challenge before? Whether it be from the popsugar website, or goodreads, or... well I've searched it on google and there's a lot of different "reading challenges" out there. But they usually start on the first day of the year and you make a goal of how many books you want to read for the year and then at the end of the year see how many you ended up reading.

I'm thinking of doing a reading challenge for 2018, and just making a goal number of books I'd like to read and just see what I can do. :) I'm going to keep track on GoodReads. So if anyone else would like to make a goal too and keep track in this thread, that could totes be doable and I think it would be fun to have multiple people involved. We could tell what we're reading currently.

If not, no worries. I might just post in here to keep track of my goal and tell what I'm reading, you can actually join in any time next year, you don't actually have to start on Jan 1st. :)

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,443.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
This is something I might be interested in doing. For some reason last year I started keeping a list of all the books I read, and I've continued to do it this year, so I do have an idea as to how many books in year would be a realistic goal.

The only thing that holds me back a little from setting a specific target is the varying length of books. A 600 page book takes twice as long to read as a 300 page book but they both count just the same in terms of getting to the goal. So I'd need to figure a goal that's not too high that I would fall short if I happen to read a batch of long books, but not too low that it's not much of a challenge to reach.

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is something I might be interested in doing. For some reason last year I started keeping a list of all the books I read, and I've continued to do it this year, so I do have an idea as to how many books in year would be a realistic goal.

The only thing that holds me back a little from setting a specific target is the varying length of books. A 600 page book takes twice as long to read as a 300 page book but they both count just the same in terms of getting to the goal. So I'd need to figure a goal that's not too high that I would fall short if I happen to read a batch of long books, but not too low that it's not much of a challenge to reach.

Yeah I kept track of how many I read last year. It was around 10. This year I wanted to read 25 but I only ended up reading 7, lol. My goal for 2018 will be 25 again and I've this time gotten prepared by making a list of books I want to read and just checking them off. I'm really excited about it. I've also gotten on a facebook group that will be reading in 2018 as well and it's motivation for me and I'm really looking forward to it. So i thought heyy why not make a thread about it. :D

You know a lot of people are setting a goal of like... 10 or 15, and then if they go over that goal, it's like woohoo I read past my goal. But if they hit their goal, it will be an accomplishment. Even though I didnt hit my goal this year, I still felt good that I actually ready and I think that's the point. The point is to get people to read and open their minds up to new genres of books even. :)

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,443.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
The point is to get people to read and open their minds up to new genres of books even. :)

New genres? What are those? :D

I know exactly what I'll be reading next year, and that's my seemingly never-diminshing pile of unread books. Since there's very little outside of science fiction and fantasy there, I'll definitely be sticking to those genres.

That's why I don't do any of those reading challenges where the books need to meet various criteria. Those can work if you're on the hunt for books to read, but for me to try that would just add even more books to the mix and unread pile would take even longer to go down.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Has anyone ever done a reading challenge before? Whether it be from the popsugar website, or goodreads, or... well I've searched it on google and there's a lot of different "reading challenges" out there. But they usually start on the first day of the year and you make a goal of how many books you want to read for the year and then at the end of the year see how many you ended up reading.

I'm thinking of doing a reading challenge for 2018, and just making a goal number of books I'd like to read and just see what I can do. :) I'm going to keep track on GoodReads. So if anyone else would like to make a goal too and keep track in this thread, that could totes be doable and I think it would be fun to have multiple people involved. We could tell what we're reading currently.

If not, no worries. I might just post in here to keep track of my goal and tell what I'm reading, you can actually join in any time next year, you don't actually have to start on Jan 1st. :)
That sounds fun :) I think I should maybe double my goal this year because I finished this years goal months ago.

You can always set a number of pages goal rather than number of books.

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
New genres? What are those? :D

I know exactly what I'll be reading next year, and that's my seemingly never-diminshing pile of unread books. Since there's very little outside of science fiction and fantasy there, I'll definitely be sticking to those genres.

That's why I don't do any of those reading challenges where the books need to meet various criteria. Those can work if you're on the hunt for books to read, but for me to try that would just add even more books to the mix and unread pile would take even longer to go down.

Haha I don't knowwww. I've heard it's these new kinds of books that are different from what we're use to. :sorry: It's going to be really hard for me to get away from my mystery thriller fictions, or my true crime stories. But on my list I've tried to really put down random books, ones that I wouldn't have necessarily picked on my own. I've asked for recommendations for biographies and all that jazz.

Exactly, thats why I wasn't doing the popsugar reading challenge this year because I don't like a lot of the cateogories they have chosen and I don't want to be held by that.. I want to just read what I wanna read and I'll just make a goal of how many books I wanna read and go from there.

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That sounds fun :) I think I should maybe double my goal this year because I finished this years goal months ago.

You can always set a number of pages goal rather than number of books.

Im excited to read with you in 2018. :D

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I’m kind of excited to be reading some books by my favorite current women author again. I read quite a few of her books in the past but recently I found out she had written some new ones. The thing is, I think her books seem long sometimes - but I enjoy reading every page.
Sometimes when I get books like that I end up wanting to read them slower so that it’s a longer time before I’m finished. ^_^

There is another recently published book that I’m waiting to finally get a copy from the library to read. I’m hoping I can get it soon to read over christmas.
I can’t wait until next year to finish or start these books so they might not count for my 2018 goal. ^_^

Haha I don't knowwww. I've heard it's these new kinds of books that are different from what we're use to. :sorry: It's going to be really hard for me to get away from my mystery thriller fictions, or my true crime stories. But on my list I've tried to really put down random books, ones that I wouldn't have necessarily picked on my own. I've asked for recommendations for biographies and all that jazz.

Exactly, thats why I wasn't doing the popsugar reading challenge this year because I don't like a lot of the cateogories they have chosen and I don't want to be held by that.. I want to just read what I wanna read and I'll just make a goal of how many books I wanna read and go from there.
Yeah, I don’t think I’d want to limit myself to read from a reading list.
I prefer to have my reading time enjoyable. I do often have to read books for classes that I wouldn’t have read otherwise, which can be interesting... or boring. ^_^
Im excited to read with you in 2018. :D
It will be so fun. ^_^

• Winner
Reactions: LadyOfMystery
Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'd be up for this!!

Woohoo :D Do you have a Goodreads acct? If not that's alright, you can keep track on paper of what you read. And we could use this thread to keep track too. :thumbsup:

Yayyy Im excited! haha

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I ordered a whole bunch of books in the past I have yet to read so doing this wouldn't hurt.

I have a really long to read list, so I'm looking forward to checking some of those off. :sorry:

I'm glad this has piqued some of your interests, you guys! :clap:

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I guess I need to finish reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. I should probably compile a list of books to read as well. :D
I actually can't remember if I read that one or not all the way. :D I remember getting the ebook several years ago. Perhaps I should reread it this year. Have you seen the mini tv series?

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I actually can't remember if I read that one or not all the way. :D I remember getting the ebook several years ago. Perhaps I should reread it this year. Have you seen the mini tv series?
YES!!! I love the series!

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Our local library puts out reading goals each Dec/Jan. They had various suggestions last year. Some were for certain numbers of books, different types of books, or historical themes or literary themes.

One of the list was something eclectic like:
A book that has been banned in the past
A book that is no longer in print
A book written by an author with a pseudonym
A book from a genre you hate
A book from a genre you have never read before
A book written the year you were born
A book written the year you graduated
etc

The point was to get people out of reading rut and trying something they might not have read otherwise

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LadyOfMystery
Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Our local library puts out reading goals each Dec/Jan. They had various suggestions last year. Some were for certain numbers of books, different types of books, or historical themes or literary themes.

One of the list was something eclectic like:
A book that has been banned in the past
A book that is no longer in print
A book written by an author with a pseudonym
A book from a genre you hate
A book from a genre you have never read before
A book written the year you were born
A book written the year you graduated
etc

The point was to get people out of reading rut and trying something they might not have read otherwise

I love these!

• Friendly
Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status