Visit site
✟294,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I prefer not to help James explain what he really meant, but I can understand why you might want to do that.

He stated that faith alone without works, being dead, cannot justify anyone, and that was exactly what he meant.
1 Corinthians 3:11-15 explains what James meant:
There is coming a testing of everyone by fire, a literal fire; 1 Peter 4:12, but one that the Lord promise's us protection thru. Isaiah 43:2, +
We will pass thru it and those who have done good works; in other words; have used their God given talents for good and built their 'house' of permanent materials, will receive rewards - Crowns of glory.
1 Corinthians 9:25, 1 Peter 5:1-4

Those who cruised thru life and didn't do what Jesus lists in Matthew 25:36-46 and buried their talents, but do remain faithful to God, may escape with their Eternal life. As John 3:16 Promises.

James 2:17, does make himself clear: So with faith; if it does not lead to action, it is by itself a lifeless thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 3:1-9: “For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to youward: How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power. Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ; And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ.”

What you miss is that the Church is not a New Testament novelty introduced by Christ but an ongoing spiritual organism that has contained the elect of God from the very beginning. The Church is not something entirely unique in God's plan and purposes but is an extension of Old Testament believing Israel. Whilst the Church has taken on a different form under the new covenant, in the same way as the development / change occurs between the caterpillar and the butterfly, the elect in the Old Testament and the elect in the New Testament are part of the same spiritual body.

Paul never says that the Church wasn’t about before Pentecost. In fact he teaches the opposite. He identifies the mystery in a clear and unambiguous way in verse 6, namely: “That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel.” The Dispensational interpretation is the exact opposite to what the inspired text is actually saying. Paul is in fact talking about the joining of the old and new covenant saints together in Christ. The mystery is the mystical union of the people of God of all time in one spiritual body. He is talking about the parity that resulted from this merger in regard to the promises of God.

The Church itself was not a mystery (or secret) prior to Paul, neither was God's great eternal plan of redemption, neither was the ingathering of the Gentiles. Passage after passage in the Old Testament predicted these events. What was a mystery was the Gentiles being “fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel.”

I never said "the church" is a mystery, I said the Body of Christ.

As I said to jgr, the Body of Christ is not synonymous with the term "Church".

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 3:11-15 explains what James meant:
There is coming a testing of everyone by fire, a literal fire; 1 Peter 4:12, but one that the Lord promise's us protection thru. Isaiah 43:2, +
We will pass thru it and those who have done good works; in other words; have used their God given talents for good and built their 'house' of permanent materials, will receive rewards - Crowns of glory.
1 Corinthians 9:25, 1 Peter 5:1-4

Those who cruised thru life and didn't do what Jesus lists in Matthew 25:36-46 and buried their talents, but do remain faithful to God, may escape with their Eternal life. As John 3:16 Promises.

James 2:17, does make himself clear: So with faith; if it does not lead to action, it is by itself a lifeless thing.

I assume you are quoting the wrong scripture for your above point. Since you made reference to Matt 25:36-46, you should be aware of the sheep and the goat judgment found in vs 31-46.

In that judgement, gentiles who fail to feed and take care of Jesus's brethren, the Jews, get thrown in the lake of fire. So Jesus is definitely not saying the same thing as Paul said to us in 1 Cor 3:10-15.

Jesus is saying what James is also saying, that works are also needed, during the Tribulation years, to be considered saved in the end.

But I assume you are quoting the wrong scripture for your point "buried their talents, but do remain faithful to God, may escape with their Eternal life.".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟806,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The Body of Christ is the Church, and the Church is the Body of Christ.

Ephesians 1
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Colossians 1:24
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Reactions: Spiritual Jew
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Body of Christ is the Church, and the Church is the Body of Christ.

Ephesians 1
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Colossians 1:24
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

The Body of Christ is also a called out assembly, so there are similarities, but it is not equivalent to them being synonyms.

Person A's wife has long hair and wear dresses.
Person B's wife also has long hair and wear dresses.

That does not mean both A and B are married to the SAME woman.

The video I posted used this example too.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟806,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Body of Christ is also a called out assembly, so there are similarities, but it is not equivalent to them being synonyms.

Person A's wife has long hair and wear dresses.
Person B's wife also has long hair and wear dresses.

That does not mean both A and B are married to the SAME woman.

The video I posted used this example too.

You're welcome to attempt to refute the Scripture that I've cited.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see a pattern over this past few weeks. You cannot theologically refute the detailed biblical truth presented to you in any way, so you respond to the multiple Scriptures and detailed posts with your short evasive fly-by posts containing questionable private interpretation. This is typical of Dispensationalism, that is exposed by the Word. You have nothing to rebut Amil with because it is solidly built upon the Word.

There is nothing to address apart from your personal opinion and good-works salvation theory. Scripture suitably blows that out of the water.

Your constant avoidance of Scripture after Scripture that exposes your position does not in any way advance your opinion but rather negates it.

As I said, James said what he meant and meant what he said. When I take that position, you come up with this bizarre claim that I am actually "twisting his words", nuff said.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I assume you are quoting the wrong scripture for your above point. Since you made reference to Matt 25:36-46, you should be aware of the sheep and the goat judgment found in vs 31-46.
You assume wrongly.
The soon to happen, terrible fiery trial is the next Prophesied event.
Matthew 25:31-45 happens after Jesus Returns. Verse 46 will be after the Millennium.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You assume wrongly.
The soon to happen, terrible fiery trial is the next Prophesied event.
Matthew 25:31-45 happens after Jesus Returns. Verse 46 will be after the Millennium.

So how does that passage establish your point that I quoted, "buried their talents, but do remain faithful to God, may escape with their Eternal life."?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ShineyDays2

Nov 16, 2018
Murphy
✟50,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Israel was promised healing and wealth if they obeyed

I asked you one simple question....
Could you provide the verse for that and what that verse means to you?
But what did you do? Your pattern seems to be what is referred to as "divert and avoid" what you don't have a genuine answer to. You brought up the subject of "little flock" as though it referred to Israel when it does not. My post #3785 clearly refutes your claim that it refers to Israel yet you ignored that completely.

So, instead of avoiding my original question why not simply supply the verse I asked for because I cannot find it in the RSV.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I asked you one simple question....
Could you provide the verse for that and what that verse means to you?
But what did you do? Your pattern seems to be what is referred to as "divert and avoid" what you don't have a genuine answer to. You brought up the subject of "little flock" as though it referred to Israel when it does not. My post #3785 clearly refutes your claim that it refers to Israel yet you ignored that completely.

So, instead of avoiding my original question why not simply supply the verse I asked for because I cannot find it in the RSV.

And I asked you a simple question regarding Luke 12:33 before that question of yours, which you also avoided answering.

If you are also in the little flock, why do you not obey Luke 12:33?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ShineyDays2

Nov 16, 2018
Murphy
✟50,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Guojing, all you are saying to me is that you posted something that, if you had a verse that you used, you are refusing to post it. It's that simple.

Your post was: Israel was promised healing and wealth if they obeyed

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Guojing, all you are saying to me is that you posted something that, if you had a verse that you used, you are refusing to post it. It's that simple.

Your post was: Israel was promised healing and wealth if they obeyed

Alright then, actually I can understand why you kept refusing to address my question about Luke 12:33, you don't even want to quote my question to you in your replies to me.

So since you want to avoid that, despite insisting that you also belong to the little flock, I will let it rest.

Here is the scripture you requested regarding promise of physical healing if Israel obeyed

You must understand that, under the Old Covenant of Law, God literally promised Israel that if they obey him, they will never fall sick (Deuteronomy 7:15, Exodus 15:26)

Under the promised kingdom of heaven on Earth, no one in Israel will be maim or sick too Isaiah 33:24

As for wealth, its even more straightforward, Deuteronomy 28

Upvote 0

ShineyDays2

Nov 16, 2018
Murphy
✟50,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Israel was promised healing and wealth if they obeyed.
Chuckle, chuckle...Guojing you said it yourself....."Israel was promised healing and wealth...IF... they obeyed." They were to annihilate all the Canaanites from the land that God had promised them - which they did not do as they were commanded. That word "IF" carries a huge amount of weight to it of which many people overlook those two little letters.

Example: You give the keys to your Mercedes to your son who just got his permit to drive. You tell him that IF he puts a dent in that car he will have to pay to have it repaired out of his allowance. He does. Now it costs him the use of the car in the future. It's the same principle.

• Agree
Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You Need to believe the gospel found in 1 cor 15:1-4 to be in the body of Christ, the gospel of the uncircumcision.

Being in the body of Christ is sufficient to be in Christ but it’s not necessary.

Before Paul, there were many others who were in Christ (Romans 16:7), but thru the gospel of the kingdom/circumcision.
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Can you try to be more specific?

What exactly did/does someone need to do to be in the body of Christ?

And what exactly did/does someone need to do to be in Christ?

Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What is required to be in the Body of Christ? What is required to be in the church? Please be specific.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.