Status
Not open for further replies.

JagSayon

Jun 16, 2002
✟823.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hey folks,

I'm a bit confused on the part where the Bible says God made 2 great lights in Genesis 1:16. It says the "greater light" will rule the day (Sun), and the "lesser light" to rule the night (moon). I believe many years ago, I read from a book that the moon gets its light from the Sun which is why you can see it at night.

Of course, I know the Bible is right, but when you look at all those moon landings, the moon doesn't seem to be glowing. Can the light on the moon only be seen on earth or was the moon landing hoaxed?

Or do you have another interpretation on this?

Jag

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
I would agree saying the passage seems confusing, but no more so then there being light before the sun and other heavenly bodies exsisted :) maybe think of it as this..if someone shines a bright light off of a mirror in your face, you usually say, get that light out of my eyes! Not turn that mirror away?

Upvote 0

andybell

The Eggman
Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
It is known that the moon does in fact reflect the shine of the sun. When the book of Genesis was written the people of that time had no idea that this was the case. So I believe that it was written in terms that the people of that day would understand.
As to why the moon does not glow when you see pictures from the surface I would think that they have used cameras with lenses that have some sort of UV filter on them. The moon does not have any ozone to protect it from the suns light so to prevent damage to camera film and eyes I would think that there would have to be some sort of filter on the lens.

Upvote 0

JagSayon

Jun 16, 2002
✟823.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ah, the part that contradicts is God made 2 great lights. He didn't make 1 and said the lesser would derive its light source from the greater one. But I think you've made a strong point. Though I'm inclined to believe that the moon itself is a light source, it might be the specialized UV filters that filter out the light from the moon. Thanks anyway. :)

Jag

P.S. Stopped believing most Bible contradicting scientific theories...

Upvote 0
I'm a bit confused on the part where the Bible says God made 2 great lights in Genesis 1:16. It says the "greater light" will rule the day (Sun), and the "lesser light" to rule the night (moon). I believe many years ago, I read from a book that the moon gets its light from the Sun which is why you can see it at night.

All of that is correct. When the Bible says that God made the lesser light-giver, the Hebrew does not distinguish between reflected and emitted light. Therefore the Bible does not say that the moon emits light, or that the moon does not reflect the light.

Of course, I know the Bible is right, but when you look at all those moon landings, the moon doesn't seem to be glowing. Can the light on the moon only be seen on earth or was the moon landing hoaxed?

It can only be seen a distance away from the moon. For example, the astronauts on the moon were able to see the earth glowing in the sky. You cannot see this on the surface of the earth either.

Upvote 0
How does the moon rule the night? The revolution of the moon around the earth is independent on the earth's rotation about its axis. Its only by chance that the moon is sometimes seen at night.
The statement could only have been true if the moon was stationary and at the opposite side to the sun.

Upvote 0
How does the moon rule the night?

By being the brightest light in the night sky.

The revolution of the moon around the earth is independent on the earth's rotation about its axis.

Yes, as the periods are different. But the moons rotation is locked so that the same side faces the earth all of the time.

Its only by chance that the moon is sometimes seen at night.
The statement could only have been true if the moon was stationary and at the opposite side to the sun.

The statement that you are pulling from Genesis does not say what you think it does. All it says is that the moon is (and this should be obvious) the brightest light in the night sky. It does not say that the moon's light is constant or that there are no nights in which is not present.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by JagSayon
Ah, the part that contradicts is God made 2 great lights. He didn't make 1 and said the lesser would derive its light source from the greater one. But I think you've made a strong point. Though I'm inclined to believe that the moon itself is a light source, it might be the specialized UV filters that filter out the light from the moon. Thanks anyway. :)

Jag

P.S. Stopped believing most Bible contradicting scientific theories...

It doesn't say, "God created two great light-emitting bodies," it says "two great lights." Don't they both shine light onto the Earth? Does it matter that one emits the light and one reflects the light? No, of course not!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Originally posted by Matthew
By being the brightest light in the night sky.

It could only rule if it was available every night. It is only by chance that the moon appears at night.

Yes, as the periods are different. But the moons rotation is locked so that the same side faces the earth all of the time.

This has no effect on whether the moon appears at night or not.

The statement that you are pulling from Genesis does not say what you think it does. All it says is that the moon is (and this should be obvious) the brightest light in the night sky. It does not say that the moon's light is constant or that there are no nights in which is not present.

It is talking about ruling, We can argue the sun rules the day. But the moon does not rule the night since it only appears at night by chance. Never think things are obvious without looking at them critically.

Upvote 0
It could only rule if it was available every night.

That is an unsupported assumption. In fact, if it is false, you have no argument. There is only one night of the month when the moon is "new" (does not appear) so it is not available every night. But on every other night, the moon is the brightest natural light in the sky.

It is only by chance that the moon appears at night.

That statement assumes that God did not create the moon or the earth.

Upvote 0
That is an unsupported assumption. In fact, if it is false, you have no argument. There is only one night of the month when the moon is "new" (does not appear) so it is not available every night. But on every other night, the moon is the brightest natural light in the sky.

That statement assumes that God did not create the moon or the earth.

In Genesis it claims the moon was created for the night. What you are failing to realize is that there is no relation between the times the moon rises and sets, and night time.
In short the moon was not created for the night.
It is only in a brief of a second when there is the fullest moon that there is a relation. Mind you I am talking about a fraction of second not days. The moon is always revolving. The moon will never see the night during the new moon. Other times it will only see the night partially. It has no control of the night, so it can't rule it.

Upvote 0

RevKidd

Simple Mans Theologian
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
✟9,180.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It doesn't say, "God created two great light-emitting bodies," it says "two great lights." Don't they both shine light onto the Earth? Does it matter that one emits the light and one reflects the light? No, of course not!

Agreed, can we please move on now...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
In Genesis it claims the moon was created for the night. What you are failing to realize is that there is no relation between the times the moon rises and sets, and night time.
In short the moon was not created for the night.
It is only in a brief of a second when there is the fullest moon that there is a relation. Mind you I am talking about a fraction of second not days. The moon is always revolving. The moon will never see the night during the new moon. Other times it will only see the night partially. It has no control of the night, so it can't rule it.

So, you are saying that the moon must be full and present during all of the night and in this state for all nights in order for it to rule the night. Further, you believe that Genesis says that the moon was created for the night. Your first assumption would not allow the sun to rule the day (remember eclipses). Your second assumption is false. The Bible does not claim that the moon was created for the night, it only says that it rules the night.

You are still assuming that ruling the night means being there only for the night, and all of it, all of the time. This assumption is false.

If I were king of country A, that (by itself) would not prevent me from visiting country B. Further, I could go on a long vacation to country C, and I would still rule country A.

Upvote 0
So, you are saying that the moon must be full and present during all of the night and in this state for all nights in order for it to rule the night. Further, you believe that Genesis says that the moon was created for the night. Your first assumption would not allow the sun to rule the day (remember eclipses). Your second assumption is false.
Think of the moon scientifically and you will get the meaning why the night is independent of the moon. If the moon was meant to rule the night then it was not designed in the right way. Even human beings can do better than that.

The Bible does not claim that the moon was created for the night, it only says that it rules the night.

Read Genesis 1:16 "And God made the two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night"

I don't know what other meaning you want to be told by this statement.

You are still assuming that ruling the night means being there only for the night, and all of it, all of the time. This assumption is false.

If I were king of country A, that (by itself) would not prevent me from visiting country B. Further, I could go on a long vacation to country C, and I would still rule country A.

False analogy, Human beings have intelligence that can enable them to rule a place even if they are not there. The moon does not know night exist during the new moon

Upvote 0
Think of the moon scientifically and you will get the meaning why the night is independent of the moon. If the moon was meant to rule the night then it was not designed in the right way. Even human beings can do better than that.

Genesis does not say, "Night is dependant on the moon".

Read Genesis 1:16 "And God made the two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night"

I don't know what other meaning you want to be told by this statement.

I am simply reading what it there. Genesis 1:16 does not say that the moon was created for the night. It says, "the lesser light to rule the night". Rule is not the same word as create. Further, as I said before, ruling does not mean that the moon was created for the night.

False analogy, Human beings have intelligence that can enable them to rule a place even if they are not there. The moon does not know night exist during the new moon

Actually, someone can rule a place without issuing commands. If we replace "country" with "night", "issue commands" with "reflect light" then we have exactly the same situation that you deny.

Upvote 0
Genesis does not say, "Night is dependant on the moon".

And thats why I am saying it is a poor design. An almighty God can do better than that. If you support this type of design then your thinking level is the same as that of someone living in 3000 BC.

I am simply reading what it there. Genesis 1:16 does not say that the moon was created for the night. It says, "the lesser light to rule the night". Rule is not the same word as create. Further, as I said before, ruling does not mean that the moon was created for the night.

Read the whole verse to understand the word rule in context.

Actually, someone can rule a place without issuing commands. If we replace "country" with "night", "issue commands" with "reflect light" then we have exactly the same situation that you deny.

You dont have to use commands because the government has a system in which the second in command would be left in the country to take care of the situation. Your analogy of comparing an intelligent system with an unintelligent system is baseless.

Upvote 0
Anyways on another point and going back to the original post, did anyone ever see anything on tv about the moon landing being a hoax?  I didn't it but I did hear about it in school and some of the reasons seemed almost ..logical..more or less. 

I do believe that man landed on the moon but the show supposedly had such reasons as, "Why was the flag waving if there isn't any air up there?" and "Why were there shadows everywhere?" etc. etc. etc.

Just something to ponder.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.