Visit site
✟8,544.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If this story doesn't make you realize how unbelievably stupid and scared we've become of lawsuits and injuries to our children, then I don't know what will. It's obvious that these people don't really care as much about the wellbeing of the child as they do about avoiding lawsuits and responsibility.

http://www.local6.com/news/3913357/detail.html

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
ChrisB803 said:
If this story doesn't make you realize how unbelievably stupid and scared we've become of lawsuits and injuries to our children, then I don't know what will. It's obvious that these people don't really care as much about the wellbeing of the child as they do about avoiding lawsuits and responsibility.

http://www.local6.com/news/3913357/detail.html
I rather think the girl was suspended, if you read the story carefully, for repeatedly refusing to cease doing handstands and cartwheels. "11-Year-Old Girl Suspended for Insubordination" doesn't make such a smashing headline, though.

Incidentally, the article does not mention for how long she was suspended, nor whether it was in-school suspension or external suspension. There is a vast difference between giving a student one day of in-school suspension and suspending them from campus indefinitely, and the article does not specify where this fell on that spectrum.

Upvote 0

Finella

Veteran
Feb 27, 2004
PA
✟17,732.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They said gymnastics on the playground creates an unsafe situation.
I donno, all I ever did on the playground at that age was gymnastics-like stuff. Cartwheels, flips, jumping off swings.... I'd be pretty upset and rebellious about this if I were her, too.

Besides, she knows what she's doing -- check out the form on the cartwheel in the photo. Not as if she's about to land on her head or something.

Upvote 0

ChrisB803

Sep 6, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Visit site
✟8,544.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Milla said:
I rather think the girl was suspended, if you read the story carefully, for repeatedly refusing to cease doing handstands and cartwheels. "11-Year-Old Girl Suspended for Insubordination" doesn't make such a smashing headline, though.
That may be true, but why would the school request her to stop doing things that every child in history has done, or attempted to do. It's not like these activities just suddenly became dangerous, or that gravity is suddenly stronger than it used to be so if she falls it's going to hurt more than it would have when we were kids.

Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
ChrisB803 said:
That may be true, but why would the school request her to stop doing things that every child in history has done, or attempted to do. It's not like these activities just suddenly became dangerous, or that gravity is suddenly stronger than it used to be so if she falls it's going to hurt more than it would have when we were kids.
Oh, who knows? Maybe she was cartwheeling too close to another kid or a tree or whatever. In any case, the article is overly sensationalized and short on actual facts.

Upvote 0

ChrisB803

Sep 6, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Visit site
✟8,544.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Milla said:
Oh, who knows? Maybe she was cartwheeling too close to another kid or a tree or whatever. In any case, the article is overly sensationalized and short on actual facts.
I might agree with you if this were an isolated incident, but it seems to be more and more of an epidemic. It's bad for kids to sit around and watch TV or play video games, but it's also dangerous for them to be active and playful, because they might injure themselves.

Upvote 0