“I think we should throw those books in a fire,” [Spotsylvania school board member] Abuismail said

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ten bucks says the Bible is available at the school library.
The Bible is not available at any Pasco County, Florida public school library (My daughter checked her High School). There are books ABOUT the Bible and religion, but no actual Bibles.

(I have no idea about Spotsylvania District Schools.)

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The Bible is not available at any Pasco County, Florida public school library (My daughter checked her High School). There are books ABOUT the Bible and religion, but no actual Bibles.

The school collections are searchable online. Starting alphabetically with Anclote High School, I found:

The New American Bible : basic youth edition including the revised Psalms and the revised New Testament : translated from the original languages with critical use of all the ancient sources

index.aspx

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,965.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Some christians only consider the King James Version a real bible, with anything else either misguided or influenced by satan.

The Old Testament : the King James version

Holdings
2 copies available at JWMitchell High School and Wesley Chapel High School

(not to diss atpollard's daughter's google-fu. Using 'bible' as a search term doesn't bring up much. 'Testament' was the winning clue.)

Upvote 0

Parmallia

Nov 7, 2021
PNW
✟14,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
  • Informative
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Maybe you should read it and find out for yourself.

I most certainly would read it if it were being pushed on any child of mine, which is what I would encourage every parent to do. If it's as harmless as is claimed, then it shouldn't be an issue to anyone for parents to investigate its contents before it is given to their children.

Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I most certainly would read it if it were being pushed on any child of mine, which is what I would encourage every parent to do. If it's as harmless as is claimed, then it shouldn't be an issue to anyone for parents to investigate its contents before it is given to their children.

I encourage all parents to be involved with their children's education -- too few do.

That said, I've seen parents object to Shakespeare in my classes as well as the "fixation on all that slave stuff" in US History classes (when they were studying the Civil War, no less)...

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I most certainly would read it if it were being pushed on any child of mine

'Being present in the library' is not pushing anything on anyone. Or if it is, you have a lot of reading ahead of you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
'Being present in the library' is not pushing anything on anyone. Or if it is, you have a lot of reading ahead of you.

We're talking about libraries in *schools* designated specifically for minor children, not libraries for the general public.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Parents and government talking heads ranting on about the evils of books will promote their children wanting to read them.

Then the kids can go to the adult sections of the adult libraries to read them. Again, the point isn't that kids can't get them or won't want to read them, but that the message is that the book is actually for adults and not for children vs. having them in school libraries where the message is that they are suitable for children.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
We're talking about libraries in *schools* designated specifically for minor children, not libraries for the general public.

Being present in a school library is not pushing anything on anybody.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Being present in a school library is not pushing anything on anybody.

Yes it is, it's the school giving the message to the young children browsing the selection in their libraries that the sexually explicit books being offered are suitable for them and that it's okay for them to read them even if their parents don't know. Books in school libraries are school sealed with approval for use by the children attending the school.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes it is, it's the school giving the message to the young children browsing the selection in their libraries that the sexually explicit books being offered are suitable for them and that it's okay for them to read them even if their parents don't know. Books in school libraries are school sealed with approval for use by the children attending the school.
so are you going to read all the books in your kids school library?

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
so are you going to read all the books in your kids school library?

Chances are I would have read a good number of them already (because reading is one of my things) and I would certainly read anything that seemed suspicious for that age range that I found out about or that my child brought home. Parents need to be aware and invested of what's going on with their children because it is more than apparent that there is a great deal of social and sexual grooming going on.

• Agree
Reactions: Torah Keeper
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Haha
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Chances are I would have read a good number of them already (because reading is one of my things) and I would certainly read anything that seemed suspicious for that age range that I found out about or that my child brought home. Parents need to be aware and invested of what's going on with their children because it is more than apparent that there is a great deal of social and sexual grooming going on.
While the exact number of books in a given library are unknown it was not hard to use a library layout map and a couple photographs of the High School Library in Fairfax Va to get a count of the number of book cases and using my own local library to get a number of books per liner foot of book shelf and with a little math estimate that that school's library holds over 58,000 books. This estimate is probably low. If we were to be very generous with your reading speed and say you were capable of reading one book per day it would take you over 168 years to read the content that that schools library. Good luck with that

Upvote 0