“I think we should throw those books in a fire,” [Spotsylvania school board member] Abuismail said

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Spotsylvania [VA] School Board orders libraries to remove 'sexually explicit' books
The board voted 6–0 to order the removal.

Two board members, Courtland representative Rabih Abuismail and Livingston representative Kirk Twigg, said they would like to see the removed books burned.

“I think we should throw those books in a fire,” Abuismail said, and Twigg said he wants to “see the books before we burn them so we can identify within our community that we are eradicating this bad stuff.”

Twigg said he would like to broaden the criteria for identifying objectionable books.

“There are some bad, evil-related material that we have to be careful of and look at,” he said, without elaborating.

[A mother said] she was initially alarmed by “LGBTQIA” fiction that she said was immediately made available upon accessing the library app. After doing more research, she discovered a book in the collection that she found more upsetting.

Publisher’s Weekly described “33 Snowfish,” [by Adam Rapp] which the American Library Association named a Best Book for Young Adults in 2004, as a “dark tale about three runaways who understand hatred and violence better than love” and noted “readers may have trouble stomaching the language” and the subject matter.

[Abuismail] said he doesn’t like the idea of Rapp’s book being on school division library shelves for one more night and that the fact that it is in a school library means public schools “would rather have our kids reading gay inappropriate contentography than about Christ.”

Ten bucks says the Bible is available at the school library.

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am having difficulty in believing what I have just read. It's just terrible! America used to have such high standards even not that long ago. How is this being allowed to happen? I don't believe this is due to America's ordinary citizens, it must be something to do with the polititians. We need to pray that God will stop this!

• Agree
Reactions: Torah Keeper
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I would not want a school library to use its space for explicit heterosexual or gay stuff. I think shelf space could be better invested.

I also am not sure a lot of Christian books need school library space. You would have quite a time sorting out which books should be in and which should not.

Ten bucks says the Bible is available at the school library.
This might not always be true; so check the library you are betting on, first, I would say :)

These days, there is controversy about which Bible translation is correct. So, if a library were to include Biblical materials, they might need to do some checking about which translations to present. And there is the question about which research books to include or not, for Biblical studies.

And then, if you have Bibles . . . is it right to include representative books of various religious groups which are not Christian? Is this in the scope of a school or even a public library?

At least, I would say, have books which can help students with whatever classes are given in the school.

And you could teach students about how to do research, as a general skills thing. Then they can do their own homework about the Bible and comparing different religious groups.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Book burning at this point in history is nothing but a self own. The books being burnt get publicity, their availability isn’t reduced in any meaningful way and those doing the burning put themselves out there to be drug. Win win, burn all you like.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
You would have quite a time sorting out which books should be in and which should not.

Not really. Libraries are there to serve their patrons, who can make their own decisions.

These days, there is controversy about which Bible translation is correct.

Not really. Libraries are there to serve their patrons, who can make their own decisions.

This might not always be true; so check the library you are betting on, first, I would say :)

My $10 is sitting here on the desk, lonely for company.

And then, if you have Bibles . . . is it right to include representative books of various religious groups which are not Christian? Is this in the scope of a school or even a public library?

Obviously yes.

Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The books being burnt get publicity, their availability isn’t reduced in any meaningful way and those doing the burning put themselves out there to be drug. Win win, burn all you like.

Every once in a while, you see authors encouraging people to buy more copies to burn them. Really hurt the author where it counts, right in the embiggened royalties.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When I was a kid there were two kinds of books I wanted to read:
  1. Those that appealed to my own interests
  2. Those that grown-ups said I shouldn't read
I don't know that I am any worse for it.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Every once in a while, you see authors encouraging people to buy more copies to burn them. Really hurt the author where it counts, right in the embiggened royalties.
The way to do it is buy it then write bad but not dreadful reviews
Mediocre. Badly presented. Hard to follow.
Nothing kills a book more than mediocre reviews.
If all there are are excellent and dreadful reviews -hat attack it on morality not quality, it starts sounding worth the read.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember them wanting to burn books in the 80s classic Footloose. Those folks even banned dancing in their town. That dang rock n roll music...At least some parents are paying attention to the schooling of their children at this moment in time tho. Accentuate the positives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, there are way worse books out there. I remember finding books on witchcraft, UFOs, and magic in high school. My son is reading books about warrior cats that fight each other and spill blood to survive. I can't see these books being any worse than those.

The ones they removed could have helped some kids with what they are going through, and that is a crying shame. Given the trauma my gay friends from high school and college went through, they would have benefited from books like this.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
When I was a kid there were two kinds of books I wanted to read:
  1. Those that appealed to my own interests
  2. Those that grown-ups said I shouldn't read
I don't know that I am any worse for it.

The school I used to teach at let me make my own reading list -- the selection of "Banned and Challenged" books was quite useful.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a father of six - I fully support burning trash.

Take same material and have an individual provide sexually explicit material to a minor they would be labeled a pedophile and jailed. Regardless of pro noun, sexual orientation.

Obscene material: sexual, verbal and otherwise should not be provided to minors. There was a time that we protected the innocence of our kids.

We are talking about:

The Spotsylvania County School Board has directed staff to begin removing books that contain “sexually explicit” material from library shelves and report on the number of books that have been removed at a special called meeting next week.
Anyone who has more of a problem with people making a comment about burning these books (nothing of the like happened - really hard to burn a digital book) - but not the fact that this type of material is being made available through our schools has greater issues with judgement IMHO

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Honestly, there are way worse books out there. I remember finding books on witchcraft, UFOs, and magic in high school. My son is reading books about warrior cats that fight each other and spill blood to survive. I can't see these books being any worse than those.

I remember reading one pre-teen/teen book when I was in Jr. High where the protagonist was seeking friends and ended up with a drinking crowd and becoming an alcoholic. (Like most such books the characters were slightly older than the indended readers.) I got that from the school library.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Not to mention making it a must-read for so many people.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obscene material: sexual, verbal and otherwise should not be provided to minors. There was a time that we protected the innocence of our kids.

We are talking about:

The Spotsylvania County School Board has directed staff to begin removing books that contain “sexually explicit” material from library shelves and report on the number of books that have been removed at a special called meeting next week.

Specifically?

Did the school board lay out any examples?

Upvote 0