Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thankfully we do have services during bright week, plus every Wednesday during the 6 weeks after. Some are joint pan-Orthodox services. They are some of my favorites!
Just got out of Paschal Vespers...so beautiful! Wish we had them every night this week :)
I am glad to hear that your parish does. :)

then when you get the time and means, go to a monastery.

That is an excellent idea. :) I will have to do that when I can. :)

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
it's worth it
I did go and stay several days with some folks from my parish a couple of years ago. Other than that I've made only brief visits.

But I've been thinking of going again since the day I left the one I stayed at. I think that was a little over 2 years ago?

It's about a 6-hour drive though so it takes some arranging. I should start thinking about that once school ends. :)

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
you won't regret it
I should widen my circle of asking who might be going.

I met some ladies who make periodic trips down there. They live north of me, but there's only one path down. If there's space and I could arrange it, I could probably get a ride a couple of hours east to meet up with them. :)

Talking about it SO makes me want to go.

And I was just telling some folks a few days ago how we sold the farm and moved - never having found a Church there - then I found Orthodoxy, and THEN I discovered a monastery within a couple of miles of the farm.

But I think it was very necessary for my daughter's sake that I move. So ... as God wills. But I still find that a terrible irony. :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I should widen my circle of asking who might be going.

I met some ladies who make periodic trips down there. They live north of me, but there's only one path down. If there's space and I could arrange it, I could probably get a ride a couple of hours east to meet up with them. :)

Talking about it SO makes me want to go.

And I was just telling some folks a few days ago how we sold the farm and moved - never having found a Church there - then I found Orthodoxy, and THEN I discovered a monastery within a couple of miles of the farm.

But I think it was very necessary for my daughter's sake that I move. So ... as God wills. But I still find that a terrible irony. :)

I can say, however you can make it work, having a monastery that you can regularly visit (even if just once a year) does wonders.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Andrei D

Feb 13, 2018
Charlotte, NC
✟76,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some of my fondest memories ... my mom sent me for about a year in 1986-7 to live at a monastery. Other kids lived there too. It was the year of the Chernobyl disaster and I don't recall how/why but people were sending kids to these really secluded monasteries thinking we'd be protected there. For a little kid, it was unbelievable. Being surrounded by the faith which was more or less if not really secret anyway quite suppressed back home was overwhelming and a joy. We got to collect / pick / gather / fish what we ate. We got to pull the bells and beat the... I really don't know the word in English that long wooden plank you beat on rhythmically, prepare censers, learn real history, real philosophy, even a little astronomy and biology along with faith elements. The head monk was a former university professor who had been persecuted drearily. We would even sneak into the ossuary (!) sometimes. I was fascinated by the night services. That time, turns out, left very deep core formative elements in who I am.

Upvote 0

Andrei D

Feb 13, 2018
Charlotte, NC
✟76,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christ is risen!

And tomorrow there is a feast that is especially close to my heart, so I pray that all of us receive healing for all bodily and spiritual ailments. Jesus, the One resurrected from the dead, also resurrect our souls.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums