“Something From Nothing” —The Standard Big Bang Model, and String Theory’s Resolution

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
“Something From Nothing” —The Standard Big Bang Model, and String Theory’s Resolution

Whenever someone talks about the Big Bang with someone who does not accept the scientific evidence for it, they often are told, “It’s not possible for an explosion of nothing to make something.” After briefly laughing, or perhaps putting one’s head in one’s hands, somewhat distraught, as I have often done, I realize that the people making these statements are either avoiding the answer, or have simply not looked. For the first, it would be rather difficult to persuade them to look, and that their statement does have an answer. The problem I find with the answer given by the standard Big Bang Model is that the answer hardly makes sense, which will be explained briefly. Instead, the application of Superstring Theory allows us to present this answer in a way that allows us to avoid the inherent problems presented by the Standard Big Bang model.

Not An Explosion

images

This is not what the Big Bang was like.

As stated above, when someone mentions the Big Bang, we often hear the word ‘Explosion’ thrown out there. The mistakes of calling the Big Bang an explosion are obvious to those who have at least some understanding of the theory, but to those who look for no evidence, or rely on Kent Hovind for answers (among other people), calling the Big Bang an explosion seems like a reasonable depiction. The problems with this analogy are as follows. First, an explosion implies matter. At the time when the Big Bang occurred, all four fundamental forces of the universe (the Electromagnetic force, Gravity, Strong Nuclear, and Weak Nuclear forces) were all amalgamated into one. The reason for this is because the temperature was trillions of Kelvin. Only when the temperature dropped could the forces separate. The process of separation is known as Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking. A good way to visualize this is by picturing the combined fundamental forces as water. When we lower the temperature the water freezes. This freezing is analogous to the separation of the fundamental forces. The reason for discussing this is because gravity, a fundamental force, would not have been able to pull apart virtual particle pairs yet because it was combined with the other three fundamental forces. The separation of the virtual particle pairs, and the effect upon them by the Nuclear forces are what leads to mass, and hence, matter.

What is a virtual particle pair? I will go into two explanations, a rough sketch of the idea, and a more precise one, as was explained to me by reading The Elegant Universe.

A Rough Sketch

A virtual particle pair is a pairing of a particle and it’s anti-particle. These virtual particle pairs appear out of thin air and mutually annihilate one another within Planck Time. Imagining how short Planck Time is is quite difficult, so I will just give you the number and hope you can use your imagination. One Planck Time is approximately equal to 5.391x10^-41 seconds long. This is extremely short. How then can we even tell virtual particles exist? We obviously never see them in a direct way. They are far too small and annihilate one another far too quickly to be seen. However, they do have an effect on their surroundings, and it is this way in which their existence is postulated and accepted.

images

Virtual particle pairs popping up and annihilating one another.

A More Precise Answer

From the rough sketch, we read that a virtual particle is a pairing of its particle and it’s anti-particle. An anti-particle is similar to its particle partner except in the fact that it has negative (and opposite of it’s partners) spin. For example, if a particle has spin-1/2, the anti-particle partner would have spin - –1/2. Spin is a tricky, and lengthy, thing to explain, especially in particle physics, because a zero-dimensional particle does not spin on an axis like something dimensional (a point does not have a center, because a point is it’s own center) and so I will not explain it here. The resulting collision between these pairs creates a burst of energy and often the release of a photon. Note that a photon has no mass, and is thus not matter (so we can’t have that explosion.) What causes these virtual particle pairs to come into existence in the first place? Well, there is no reason for them to occur in one point of space over another. However, we do know what allows them to exist, and this is something known as quantum tunneling.

Somewhat analogous to borrowing money if you pay it all back in a certain amount of time, quantum tunneling allows a particle to borrow energy from the universe if it is repaid within a time that we can measure.

mqt1.jpg

V0 represents the quantum tunneling action. Courtesy of stanford.edu

Basically, the borrowing of energy must be repaid before we can detect it. It may sound strange but the effects of quantum tunneling are very real. Particles can travel through walls if they do it in a short enough time. You could even walk through a wall, but every single particle in your body would have to quantum tunnel simultaneously, and so the likelihood of that happening is miniscule, to say the most (and that’s an exaggeration!)

Back To It

Returning to the original paragraphs, we can see that an explosion requires matter, and matter did not exist when the Big Bang occurred. Second, an explosion happens within space, whereas the Big Bang encompassed the whole of space. What was the Big Bang then? An expansion of spacetime itself. What allowed it to expand? A powerful negative energy density that came about due to the fact that no matter existed within this infinitesimally small point (the point was something that troubled me, and will be addressed later.) Negative energy density can be observed and understood by learning about the Casimir Effect.

Understanding the Big Bang was not an explosion also nullifies the supposed point that “Explosions always cause disorder and so the Big Bang makes disorder and so could not happen.” The statement also implies ignorance regarding physical laws, and the fact that the Second Law can be violated via the Fluctuation Theorem.

The Problem With Granny Speck

The problem inherent when discussing the Big Bang model’s answer is brought about by our current understand of particle physics. Particles, being zero dimensional points, and also being regarded as the smallest, indivisible constituents of anything, have zero volume. When we rewind the universe, the Standard Big Bang model predicts that the universe was once a zero dimensional point. There are several problems here. First of all, we live in four dimensional spacetime. What happened to our three space dimensions? If a point is infinitesimally small, the space dimensions could not simply have curled up and shrunk — they would have had to disappear entirely. The second problem regards virtual particle pairs and Pauli’s Exclusion Principle.

Say what?

Pauli’s Exclusion Principle sounds scary at first, but understanding it is not hard to grasp. It states simply that two fermions (matter particles like quarks and electrons) cannot share quantum states. To give some insight as to what this means, we will turn over to something called Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle. Heisenberg found out that it is impossible to know the exact location and momentum of something at a given time. Also, the more precise a measurement of momentum, the less precise the measurement of location is, and vice versa. This is because to measure something, it must be done against some sort of medium. To see the particles, we must “shoot” some particle at it. For example, to see the path of an electron exactly, we would have to bounce photons off of it, and that would cause a disturbance, throwing off our results. We cannot know exactly. How does this tie in? Well, if our fermions existed in a zero-dimensional point, we would know their exact location and momentum because they couldn’t move anywhere. This violates Pauli’s Exclusion Principle, because two things would exist in the same quantum state of energy, and would make Heisenberg a bit worried.

atom.gif

Notice how the two electrons have different charges, so they don’t violate the Exclusion Principle.

It is not possible to squeeze everything into a zero-dimensional point. The equations physicists get from trying to do it result in nonsense. This of course has to do with the problems combining quantum mechanics and general relativity, but I will put off that discussion for another time. It is already obvious that particle physics has presented us with a large problem when it comes to the Big Bang and the singularity postulated by It when we rewind the clock.

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
String Theory to the Rescue

Now that it has been demonstrated that particle physics presents a problem for the Big Bang, we will now discuss how string theory resolves this problem. To start, particle physics states that the smallest constituents of matter are point-like, and that they consist of zero dimensions. Superstring Theory (or String Theory for short) states that particles is not really pointlike, and at their core are wiggling one-dimensional strands of vibrating energy, and these are simply called strings due to their structure.

ever_thumb_illustration.jpg

Strings are the smallest constituents of matter, and are indivisible.

So what? We have a smaller constituent of matter, but what does this mean for the Big Bang? A lot. Strings are one-dimensional, they have length, this means the problem with zero-dimensional points are taken care of. There is nothing smaller than strings, and because strings have length, we avoid infinitesimally small points. Things “smaller than strings” do not exist. A nice quick explanation, and if you want to, you can stop here. For those of you who want to know more about how exactly the problems are taken care of, continue on.

Space Dimensions, Where They Go?

String Theory is fraught with bizarre ideas. One of the strangest in my opinion, is the fact that String Theory makes necessary the existence of seven extra spatial dimensions. How is this possible? I asked myself the same question. Wouldn’t I be in these dimensions somehow? What do they look like? How big are they? I will address each question in turn.

Wouldn’t I be in these dimensions somehow?

Well, yes. The smallest constituents of matter, strings, exist in these dimensions partially (the extra dimensions are required for certain string vibration patterns to exist) and therefore, so do you. These extra dimensions are purported to exist at every point in spacetime. So, why don’t we feel like we are going through these dimensions? Why do we only feel X, Y, and Z? The answer is quite simple, and I was amazed at how simple it actually was. The dimensions look like closed loops. They are also EXTREMELY small. We pass through them trillions of times with the move of our hand, but they are so small, we cannot detect them whatsoever. We only experience the four dimensions we live in now because they are trillions upon trillions of times larger.

What do they look like? And How big are they?

I was surprised to find out that these dimensions have a shape in spacetime. The six dimensions are curved in bizarre ways, but as I understand it, the mathematics that devised this shape are sound. The shape itself is called a Calabi-Yau shape, after it’s co-discoverers. It is these Calabi-Yau shapes that are supposed to exist at every point during spacetime. Only objects small enough to fit within them are allowed to travel upon them.

calabiyau2.jpg

A Calabi-Yau shape in spacetime.

So, how big are they? 1.616x10^-35 meters. This magical number is known as the Planck Length. Strings are also the Planck Length. Logically then, nothing can exist that is smaller than the Planck Length. How does this tie in with our discussion then?

Back on Track

At the Big Bang, we can now image the universe not as a zero-dimensional point, but instead as an eleven-dimensional Planck-Length existence. All dimensions are curled up into closed loops, including the four dimensions we are familiar with. When the Big Bang occurred, the dimensions we recognize today expanded along with the universe, while the ones present in the Calabi-Yau shape did not. Why? String Theorists have not yet figured that out. Perhaps it has to do with the geometry of spacetime, or perhaps it was just chance. Hopefully, one day, we will have an answer to this question.

Heisenberg Made Happy

Heisenberg would be happy to know that his Principle remains intact. Because String Theory does not postulate a zero-dimensional point, but instead a one-dimensional string, the Uncertainty Principle is not destroyed. Strings are subject to the jittering of quantum mechanics, but things that are supposed to be smaller than strings do not have any effect on strings, and therefore nothing in the universe, and for all purposes do not exist. Hence, zero-dimensional quantum fluctuations do not exist. Uncertainty remains a rule in the universe at the quantum level. Because Heisenberg’s Principle remains intact, Pauli’s Exclusion Principle is also safe from the zero-dimensional points predicted by the Standard Big Bang Model. Things do not necessarily have to share quantum states because there is a length to exist upon in which to have different energies.

Surprised the Answer Was So Short?

I was too.

In the end, I would like to greatly thank Brian Greene for making such an awesome book. If String Theory interests you and you want to know the basics of it, I HIGHLY recommend reading The Elegant Universe. The author simplifies things much better than I can, and makes a complex theory understandable to the average reader.

Upvote 0

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Vastavus said:
Every time I learn more of cosmology and the String Theory, the more amazed I am. If I had any mathematical talent, this is what I would go into.

I know how you feel. I am thinking more and more about becoming a string theorist. I bought textbooks on calculus and physics from a thrift store a few days ago and plan to learn it over the summer. I don't think I am cut out for politics anymore, so string theory is becoming very interesting.

Vastavus said:
Thanks for the great post.

You're welcome :)

Upvote 0

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know Hippo, I can never find a picture of him smiling. He just looks really P.O.ed everytime.

True, this isn't about evolution, but it does have to do with annoying PRATTS I hear Creationists spout. "Big Bang is explosion!" I put my head in my hands upon hearing that one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lifesaver

Fides et Ratio
Jan 8, 2004
São Paulo, Brazil
✟16,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, it is good to see a theory which doesn't posit that the universe came from nothing, but rather from something (as unimaginable as an 11-dimensioned thing may be, it is something).

By the way, you do know that these scientists are very much like the defenders of geocentrism by the time of Copernicus, right? They added more and more spheres to account for newly observed movements of the heavenly bodies. Ultimately, it was possible to save all appearances by sticking to a very complex geocentrism; but people just went for the simpler heliocentrism anyway.

These scientists are doing the same exact thing: designing theories and adding new explanations to them to account for problems which arise in the earlier model. It is likely that, instead of accepting that "7 dimensions did not curl out" (hmmm... 7? Could it have a theological meaning?) forever, we'll find a better explanation which fits less awkwardly.

By the way, there is a good book, which I never tire of recommending for those who like natural sciences, called The End of Science. It has nothing to do with Christianity, so don't worry; it just may make people a bit more sceptical of the scientific knowledge of our age and of the authority of scientists. At the very least, it is good for the many interviews with notable scientists and philosophers of science.

Upvote 0

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lifesaver said:
By the way, you do know that these scientists are very much like the defenders of geocentrism by the time of Copernicus, right? They added more and more spheres to account for newly observed movements of the heavenly bodies. Ultimately, it was possible to save all appearances by sticking to a very complex geocentrism; but people just went for the simpler heliocentrism anyway.

These scientists are doing the same exact thing: designing theories and adding new explanations to them to account for problems which arise in the earlier model. It is likely that, instead of accepting that "7 dimensions did not curl out" (hmmm... 7? Could it have a theological meaning?) forever, we'll find a better explanation which fits less awkwardly.

I'm sorry you see String Theory in this light. I find that Superstring Theory is growing simpler with each new discovery. It is true we do not have the ability to test it yet, but String Theorists are hoping to test it's predictions in a number of years. I would suggest you learn the history behind String Theory before asserting it is merely an ad hoc way of dealing with the inevitable conflict between quantum mechanics and general relativity. String Theory was discovered when, I believe his last name was Vereziano or something similar to that, came upon a formula some three hundred years old that perfectly described the strong nuclear force, I believe it was. More work upon later revealed that it did deal with the problem in the Standard Model, but that was not how it was discovered. String Theory also makes predictions, and though they aren't currently testable, it is a stretch to say it was purely meant to solve today's physical problems by adding on to things already there, seeing as it goes against the whole notion of particle physics by stating that the tiniest material constituents are one-dimensional instead of zero.

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

Lucretius said:
I know how you feel. I am thinking more and more about becoming a string theorist. I bought textbooks on calculus and physics from a thrift store a few days ago and plan to learn it over the summer. I don't think I am cut out for politics anymore, so string theory is becoming very interesting.

I think you have to study maths for about 20 years before you can understand it. anyway, excellent OP, I really enjoyed it, thankyou.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Agreed.

During my last few days of school we were discussing religion and it got over into the science, and someone said something like this:

"Well, the way I look at it, I don't know how people can look at the universe and say there is no God. Scientists have theories like the Big Bang, but it doesn't make any sense. How can nothing explode to make something?"

I thought, being a junior in high school, I wouldn't run into this kind of stuff. That was at the beginning of the year before I learned much of my school was overrun with Creationism. I tried to give some explanation to the class as to why we do not know what occured at the Big Bang, but my teacher told me no one understood anything I said (we were in history, not physics, something I neglected to take this year).

What a depressing time we live in!! At least when it comes to my situation at school.

Upvote 0