Why do the laws of the OT not apply today?

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
cgavira,

I don't know if I have enough time to address the long post. I'll try to address the scripture.

1. John 6:44 says nothing about those who reject him. It only says that no one can be saved unless the father draws him.

2. Romans 9:12-13; hated means preference and this is due to the father knowing the nature of both men just as one who has children and know what they most like will do. Jacob deceived to get Esau's birthright but he eventually came to his senses later to become and fulfill the covenant. Esau had the same chance but he didn't.

3. Romans 9:15-18 I have already explained and you have not rebutted it but explained your position only and what you think the wording denotes. This is not the context.
Romans 9:17 and Exodus 7:3-5; God always uses situations and people that rebel against him to show that he is the creator and they are the created.

4. God has never predestinated a man to go to hell and you have not shown a scripture to prove that. The plan of God was predestinated and not the individual choice of a person. The teachings you espouse are not new and they seem to be Calvinistic or Reformed theology in nature. God has to be a just judge and that line of thinking is not scriptural.
Verse 22: What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much long suffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction. Long suffering shows God in his wrath shows grace at the same time. God knows if and when an individual is at the point of no return but he has to offer grace otherwise he would have no right to damn them.

5. Proverbs 16:20 is the destination for those who don't believe. This is not speaking of a predestination with no chance to ever be saved or given an opportunity. This is not just logic.

6. Romans 8 is speaking of the plan of redemption being predestinated and the christian being predestination to be conformed to the image of God's son which has to do with sanctification and not salvation.

7. Jeremiah 1:5 God does appoint and he gives gifts but that doesn't mean that the person will not do it or cannot refuse to use the gift for God.
The whole essence of the T-U-L-I-P is about God's sovereignty not being overtaken and yet the extremity is the tainting of God's just judgement and character of holiness. That is like saying a parent can abuse their child just because they have the right to and then say it doesn't taint their character.
Every covenant of man has been conditioned by freewill obedience.

8. John 15:16; God does choose us and at the same time we choose to serve him. It is a reciprocal relationship and the chosen and ordained are in connection with bearing fruit because that is the design of an obedient child to the father. There is no reason for God having his will that none should perish if his atonement is limited and the limited atonement is what the T-U-L-I-P teaches.

9. Acts 4:27-28 is true because they rejected Christ. Your logic is like saying that because the gentiles didn't have a covenant with God they had no chance in order to be saved and God just damned them for that reason. Herod and Pilate and the children of Israel however, knew about God and they were not ignorant. Even the antediluvians were not ignorant of God and they chose not to keep him in their memory.

10. God didn't create evil as in sin and he did not create sinners. Satan was perfect until he sinned and he is the Father of lies and sin. Because he was creative and had freewill choice he could sin but God didn't make him sin for he demanded obedience and the same way with man. Where sin is God judges and he has the power of the laws of nature and he can make things crooked to straighten them out. Israel demonstrated this in all of their history of sinning and being oppressed by a nation God used to bring them back to him.

11. There is no argument of God having order and predestinating certain things etc. They all have to be understood in the proper perspective and not in general terms.

12. Romans 11:32; For God hat concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all. This context is speaking of the jewish people who had rejected Christ and was in unbelief. God had given them an eternal covenant with a blessing and cursing system and so he will fulfill that covenant but only with holy and obedient people. In unbelief is the only way to be able to show mercy. Your perception makes it sound like God made them sin so he could have mercy and this would not be true. God required obedience and when they didn't he had a nation oppressed them to bring reconciliation and show mercy.

13. God does not pre-ordain everything. Does he pre-ordain that you sin as a christian just so he can have mercy on you. In the book of Romans 6 there were people thought that if they sinned more since there was grace God would get more glory and Paul said, God forbid!
If you believe God has ordained everything even when you sin just so he can have mercy then you don't understand God's hatred for sin and not wanting us to be stained by sin and to abstain from all appearance of evil.

14. God is sovereign in all things but it has to be understood in the proper perspective of what that means in proper context. God's sovereignty reigns supreme despite what an individual, saint or sinner does. God's sovereignty has to harmonize with his character of holiness.
You still haven't addressed the questions I posed in the previous post I sent. Try again. Jerry kelso

God predestines all things. This is why even Jesus says,
Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered... (Luke 12:7 [NIV])

How are they all numbered by God? Because he predetermined their number. Even if you were to throw a dice, the very outcome of the dice is also determined by God, as even this proverb wisely says,
The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD. (Proverbs 16:33 [NIV])

Even the apostles cast lots to elect a new apostle because they knew that all things are determined by God, so even a casting of lot would indicate a choice by God,
Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles. (Acts 1:26 [NIV])

With all the scriptures you quoted, your spiels are all skewed because you do not have understanding of how God works in predetermining all things, so naturally anything that you do interpret, say, or even do, will also be skewed. I'm not saying this to insult you, I'm saying this for your benefit, to open your eyes to the power of God over all that he has created.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
So your answer is no then. You have a form of godliness, but you do not realize what the power of holy spirit does. The sanctification that holy spirit imparts is instant, as it changes a man inwardly instantaneously and removes all evil desires, and causes those who receive it to sin no more. It is powerful. It is in fact a possession by a spirit of God. However, the growth to attain holy spirit varies, some receive it quickly shortly after believing, others take longer and must repent or humble themselves first, and others never receive it for other various reasons. It is a gift, and once you receive it you are sealed and chosen for salvation. Receiving holy spirit comes with outward signs, it is usually speaking in different languages as the spirit gives utterance, or prophesying. Anyone who receives holy spirit never sins from the moment he receives it and onward. It is impossible. The whole objective of the new covenant in Jesus Christ is to be born of this spirit, because if you are not, you will die in your sins never able to actually please God, because it is impossible to actually please God without holy spirit.

1 John 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1 John 3:6 No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.

The Bible also talks about sanctification in the past (1 Corinthians 6:11, Hebrews 10:10, Hebrews 10:29), present (1 Thessalonians 4:1-3, 1 Thessalonians 5:23, Hebrews 2:11, Hebrews 10:14), and future tense. We know from Scripture that we continue to stumble and sin, but we also know that we will not sin after we have been made perfect on the day of the Lord, so sanctification is a future event as well.

When we are set free from sin, we are free to not sin, but we still have the flesh to contend with. There is no one you can point to who has received the Holy Spirit who does not still stumble and sin, and the Bible says that anyone who does claim that is lying. The Bible does not claim that we stop sinning, but that we stop practicing sin. Or if it is true that anyone who receives the Spirit stops sinning from that moment onward, then none of us have received the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Of course, you don't know what more to say. You never studied the maerial in
enough depth to know what to say. So let me spell it out one more time.
While some passages in Scripture do imply predestination, many others clearly
rule it out. Yet you failed to address these. Why not? That is your
responsibility in such discussions. As you do not address these, I can
only conclude that your account is either deliberately biased or simply
ill-informed.
In addition, predestination denies all human freedom and
makes God the source of all evil. I have already sent you a quote from
Calvin on that. I can send plenty more if you are still a a bit confused
here. You can kind of curse me and walk away if you want. However,
that is fveryu basd form in a thoelogidcal discussion group. If you
strongly disagree withsomeone,then it is your resposnibioity to present
a sold rebuttal.

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
1 John 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1 John 3:6 No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.

The Bible also talks about sanctification in the past (1 Corinthians 6:11, Hebrews 10:10, Hebrews 10:29), present (1 Thessalonians 4:1-3, 1 Thessalonians 5:23, Hebrews 2:11, Hebrews 10:14), and future tense. We know from Scripture that we continue to stumble and sin, but we also know that we will not sin after we have been made perfect on the day of the Lord, so sanctification is a future event as well.

When we are set free from sin, we are free to not sin, but we still have the flesh to contend with. There is no one you can point to who has received the Holy Spirit who does not still stumble and sin, and the Bible says that anyone who does claim that is lying. The Bible does not claim that we stop sinning, but that we stop practicing sin. Or if it is true that anyone who receives the Spirit stops sinning from that moment onward, then none of us have received the Spirit.

Being set free from sin is not "we are free not to sin". I am not trying to insult you, but this statement is truly absurd. Is an adulterous not free to stop doing what shes doing? Is a thief not free to stop stealing? What you're saying is that the interpretation of "free from sin" means we can or cannot stop sinning. Do you even realize what you're saying? When the scriptures says, "If we say we have no sin", that means that all of us have sinned, so if we say, we have never sinned, then we are liars, because only Jesus never sinned. Yet it is not to say, because we have sinned in the past, that you carry on sinning, because as even this verse says,
If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. (Hebrews 10:26-27 [NIV])

So therefore, this scripture says you cannot keep sinning, and the previous scripture says, that we have all sinned, so what is to be done? Receive holy spirit, so that you can truly stop sinning, hence,
No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. (1 John 3:6 [NIV])

It grieves me that you people just cannot see this and refuse to want to stop sinning.

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
God predestines all things. This is why even Jesus says,

How are they all numbered by God? Because he predetermined their number. Even if you were to throw a dice, the very outcome of the dice is also determined by God, as even this proverb wisely says,

Even the apostles cast lots to elect a new apostle because they knew that all things are determined by God, so even a casting of lot would indicate a choice by God,

With all the scriptures you quoted, your spiels are all skewed because you do not have understanding of how God works in predetermining all things, so naturally anything that you do interpret, say, or even do, will also be skewed. I'm not saying this to insult you, I'm saying this for your benefit, to open your eyes to the power of God over all that he has created.

cgaviria,

Did God predestined you when you sin or do you blame God for everything? Jerry kelso

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
cgaviria,

Did God predestined you when you sin or do you blame God for everything? Jerry kelso

God predestined me to be a sinner that he may show himself a God that forgives sin. This applies to all men who are sinners, in which case only one was without sin. How else can God show that he forgives sin if he had not first preordained sinners to exist?

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
God predestined me to be a sinner that he may show himself a God that forgives sin. This applies to all men who are sinners, in which case only one was without sin. How else can God show that he forgives sin if he had not first preordained sinners to exist?

cgaviria,
1. There is no scripture that says God predestined you or any man to be a sinner. It was Adam and Eve's freewill choice to succumb to the temptation of Satan and sin. God did not predestine Satan to sin either.

2. Christ was without sin because he was God and he was born of a virgin conceived of the Holy Spirit.

3. You said God predestines everything whether before or after one is saved. The question I posed is does God predestine you to sin as a christian.
I don't know where you get your wrong theology but it is not from the scripture. Your logic is not scriptural or wise. Your point of view puts sin off on God and destroys his character of holiness and a just judge. It has his sovereignty wield an ugly sword as an cruel ogre just because he can. You never have to worry about being convicted about anything you do wrong because God will absorb it. I'm sure you believe that God can't see through the blood and so he can't see your sin when you sin. It makes him a respect of persons.

4. I don't believe we should want to keep sinning. Christians don't want that and the reason that most have more of a slant of can't help but sin because we are human stinking thinking is because of not rightly dividing the word or just are not disciplined or a million other reasons. It is not necessarily just because they want to sin even though there are many that believe in being what is called a carnal christian.

5. Now do you believe in a sinless perfection doctrine since you are saved? Or do you just desire to not want to sin? Who taught you about God predestinating every jot and tittle of everything that happens?
The fall of man is the only way to understand about why bad things happen to good people and why it rains on the just and the just by God. But this is not because God preordains everything. There are some things God can not do and one is sin and the other is condone sin in a believer and to think there is no judgement if they pursue is wrong because it can lead to changing masters. You either serve God or the Devil but not both at the same time. 1 John 1:6: If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: Now make clear what your actual position is about sin and sinlessness of a christian that you believe in.Jerry kelso

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is a difference between a set of laws for how to have a holy, righteous, and good conduct and a covenant agreement to have such a conduct. God is holy, righteous, and good from the beginning, so the way to have such a conduct existed in the beginning and exists independently of any covenant agreement to have such a conduct.
That's why we live as God lives, and not live by rules written on stones.
The New Covenant was also only made with the house of Israel and the house of Judah (Jeremiah 31:31), not with Gentiles, which is why Gentiles are grafted into Israel, and why they should follow the commands given to Israel.
We follow the commands of the Spirit and not the commands of the letter written on stones.

*He (God) has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant — not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory...will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious?* -- (2 Corinthians 3:6-9).
To fulfill the law is a term that is found in Jewish literature that is used to mean to interpret the law in a way that fills it up with meaning or to demonstrate how it should correctly be obeyed.
It also means that Jesus accomplished all that was prophesied about Him.

"You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about Me, yet you refuse to come to Me to have life." -- (John 5:39-40).
When Jesus said that it was finished, he was referring to his redemptive work on the cross, not the law.
Nope.

He was referring to His accomplishing all that God sent Him to do, which included His redemptive work on the cross.

*He said to them, "How foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Did not the Christ have to suffer these things and then enter His glory?" And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, He explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning Himself.* -- (Luke 24:25-27).
He said not the least part would disappear from the law until heaven and earth passed away and all is accomplished, both of which haven't happened yet and are referring to end times. Heaven and earth are still here and his second coming and all that comes with it has not yet been accomplished.
That is not what Jesus said.

"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished." -- (Matthew 5:18-19).

The law was to remain only until all that is written in the law is accomplished.

The law has already been accomplished or fulfilled by Jesus, therefore the law no longer needs to remain.
What was nailed to crosses was the violations of the law that the person had committed not the law itself.
Nope.

What was nailed to the cross was the law itself with its power to convict us of sin and to condemn us for sin.

*God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; He took it away, nailing it to the cross.* -- (Colossians 2:13-14).

The "written code" and the "letter" are referring to the Ten commandments written on stone tablets.

*He (God) has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant — not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory...will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious?* -- (2 Corinthians 3:6-9).
We are indeed under a new covenant, but God's holiness, righteousness, and goodness remained the same and the way to have such a conduct also remained the same, and we are told to have such a conduct
We conduct ourselves the way God conducts Himself. God does not live by laws on stone tablets. God lives by His own Spirit. God's law is a living Spirit and not a stone letter.

*So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.* -- (Galatians 5:16-18).
If the law did not bring death for transgressing it, then it would not be holy, righteous, and good, but that is a reason to follow the law, not a reason to stop following it.
Nope.

The reason we stop following the law is precisely because it brings death for transgressing it.

The law gave sin its power to condemn us for transgressions.

*Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. --
(Romans 7:9-11).

The law was holy, righteous and good because it demonstrated how utterly destructive sin is, and it demonstrated this by convicting us of sin and condemning us for sin.

So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good. Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! But in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it produced death in me through what was good, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.* -- (Romans 7:12-13).

The power of sin is the law.

*The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.* -- (1 Corinthians 15:56).

The law gave sin its power to convict us and to condemn us to death. By removing the law, sin no longer has the power to convict us and condemn us.

*For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.* -- (Romans 6:14).

Sin had dominion over us through the law. By removing the law, sin no longer has dominion over us to condemn us. There is no longer any condemnation for us by sin.

*Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life has set me free from the law of sin and death.* -- (Romans 8:1-2).

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry kelso
Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
cgaviria,
1. There is no scripture that says God predestined you or any man to be a sinner. It was Adam and Eve's freewill choice to succumb to the temptation of Satan and sin. God did not predestine Satan to sin either.

2. Christ was without sin because he was God and he was born of a virgin conceived of the Holy Spirit.

3. You said God predestines everything whether before or after one is saved. The question I posed is does God predestine you to sin as a christian.
I don't know where you get your wrong theology but it is not from the scripture. Your logic is not scriptural or wise. Your point of view puts sin off on God and destroys his character of holiness and a just judge. It has his sovereignty wield an ugly sword as an cruel ogre just because he can. You never have to worry about being convicted about anything you do wrong because God will absorb it. I'm sure you believe that God can't see through the blood and so he can't see your sin when you sin. It makes him a respect of persons.

4. I don't believe we should want to keep sinning. Christians don't want that and the reason that most have more of a slant of can't help but sin because we are human stinking thinking is because of not rightly dividing the word or just are not disciplined or a million other reasons. It is not necessarily just because they want to sin even though there are many that believe in being what is called a carnal christian.

5. Now do you believe in a sinless perfection doctrine since you are saved? Or do you just desire to not want to sin? Who taught you about God predestinating every jot and tittle of everything that happens?
The fall of man is the only way to understand about why bad things happen to good people and why it rains on the just and the just by God. But this is not because God preordains everything. There are some things God can not do and one is sin and the other is condone sin in a believer and to think there is no judgement if they pursue is wrong because it can lead to changing masters. You either serve God or the Devil but not both at the same time. 1 John 1:6: If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: Now make clear what your actual position is about sin and sinlessness of a christian that you believe in.Jerry kelso

There are scriptures that say God predestines sinners, hence the epistle of Romans with Paul writing about vessels of mercy and vessels of dishonor. The scriptures are there, you just simply deny them because understanding has not been given to you.

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There are scriptures that say God predestines sinners, hence the epistle of Romans with Paul writing about vessels of mercy and vessels of dishonor. The scriptures are there, you just simply deny them because understanding has not been given to you.

cgaviria,

1. You can't give any scriptures that says God predestines sinners.
2. I already explained about the vessel of mercy and vessels of dishonor. It plainly talks about his long suffering for people he would use for his purpose to oppress Israel.
1. This doesn't mean he damns them to hell. Pharaoh had ten chances to change his mind and he didn't and it wasn't God's fault.

2. God is trying to save people not send them to hell. At the same time he knew what would transpire with Pharaoh because God was the one who had Egypt oppress Israel for their disobedience in the first place. It could have been any Pharaoh of Egypt for they all were pagans in the first place.

3. Common sense should tell you that God is a just God with sinners.

4. The scriptures given about sinners going to hell are no proof of predestination for God doesn't predestinate one's choice to follow him. He predestinated the plan of God so all would have a chance to be saved, not just a limited few who would choose to be saved. It is because of the fact that have chosen him that their destination is heaven and the disobedient's are to hell.

5. You cannot possibly and sanely harmonize all the scriptures together to prove predestination in your extreme view.

6. I asked you point blank, to your question about God predestinating every thing in life and the question was and is still, Do you believe God has predestined you to sin as a christian? Quit dodging the question! Jerry kelso

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 27, 2015
✟15,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I was always told that the laws of the Old Testament did not apply to Christians, this seems to be the general consensus, however I came across some passages that have raised some questions in my mind about this, it seems that Jesus strongly approves of the laws of the prophets. It seems that he's saying that the Old Testament should be abided by until basically the cessation of human existence.
Opinions?

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17)

For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:18-19

"It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17)

hi, You are correct to post these laws, and they still are in force- But one has to remember, there are statues, ordinances and the laws. The statues and ordinances have been changed, but NOT the law. Just like Jesus said, not one jot or title. Think of it as a foundation. when you build the house, you do not take the foundation away. You build upon the foundation to make your house even more sturdy.
God knew only a handful would ever be able to make it to Heaven by works, so He died on the cross so we could be saved by faith if we are truly repentant. Every bit of the law is still in effect.

humbly...allan

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
cgaviria,

1. You can't give any scriptures that says God predestines sinners.
2. I already explained about the vessel of mercy and vessels of dishonor. It plainly talks about his long suffering for people he would use for his purpose to oppress Israel.
1. This doesn't mean he damns them to hell. Pharaoh had ten chances to change his mind and he didn't and it wasn't God's fault.

2. God is trying to save people not send them to hell. At the same time he knew what would transpire with Pharaoh because God was the one who had Egypt oppress Israel for their disobedience in the first place. It could have been any Pharaoh of Egypt for they all were pagans in the first place.

3. Common sense should tell you that God is a just God with sinners.

4. The scriptures given about sinners going to hell are no proof of predestination for God doesn't predestinate one's choice to follow him. He predestinated the plan of God so all would have a chance to be saved, not just a limited few who would choose to be saved. It is because of the fact that have chosen him that their destination is heaven and the disobedient's are to hell.

5. You cannot possibly and sanely harmonize all the scriptures together to prove predestination in your extreme view.

6. I asked you point blank, to your question about God predestinating every thing in life and the question was and is still, Do you believe God has predestined you to sin as a christian? Quit dodging the question! Jerry kelso

Did I not answer your questions, and provide all the scriptures, and even tell you that God did indeed predestine all men to sin, including myself, and even you? As Paul even says, we have all been delivered over to disobedience,
For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all. (Romans 11:32 [ESV])

I am not dodging any questions, you just simply choose to misinterpret the scriptures I gave you because you just cannot see how God could do this, but its true. You also do not have a correct understanding of hell, which probably doesn't reconcile with this teaching of predestination. Again, reference back to the whole study I wrote which references all the main scriptures concerning this topic which you keep asking for, as if I hadn't provided them to you, which can be found here, as I'm not going to re-quote the same scriptures over and over again,

http://www.wisdomofgod.co/2015/12/19/god-preordains-predestines-chooses-rejects-and-foreknows/

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Did I not answer your questions, and provide all the scriptures, and even tell you that God did indeed predestine all men to sin, including myself, and even you? As Paul even says, we have all been delivered over to disobedience,

I am not dodging any questions, you just simply choose to misinterpret the scriptures I gave you because you just cannot see how God could do this, but its true. You also do not have a correct understanding of hell, which probably doesn't reconcile with this teaching of predestination. Again, reference back to the whole study I wrote which references all the main scriptures concerning this topic which you keep asking for, as if I hadn't provided them to you, which can be found here, as I'm not going to re-quote the same scriptures over and over again,

http://www.wisdomofgod.co/2015/12/19/god-preordains-predestines-chooses-rejects-and-foreknows/

cgaviria,

You gave scriptures but you haven't proved anything except in your own context.
The truth is you gave scriptures for your predestination theory but you didn't answer my question. My question is do you believe God has predestinated you to sin after you get saved? In your daily life when you sin do you believe God predestined you to sin? Quite dodging the specific question and quit acting like you have answered it. That is unfair in debate and rebuttal. No spin please, I would appreciate that. Jerry kelso

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
cgaviria,

You gave scriptures but you haven't proved anything except in your own context.
The truth is you gave scriptures for your predestination theory but you didn't answer my question. My question is do you believe God has predestinated you to sin after you get saved? In your daily life when you sin do you believe God predestined you to sin? Quite dodging the specific question and quit acting like you have answered it. That is unfair in debate and rebuttal. No spin please, I would appreciate that. Jerry kelso

It is impossible for anyone that receives the holy spirit to then sin. I have not yet been baptized in the holy spirit, but once I am, I will be imparted this inner perfection that is necessary for salvation. As Jesus even said, "be perfect, as the Father is perfect", and " sin no more", and the prophecy of Daniel concerning messiah to "bring an end to sin", and in 1 John that "he who is born of God can no longer sin". And I believe just as God had predetermined for me to be sinner, he would have predetermined for me to sin no more if he so chooses to be merciful with me and grant me holy spirit.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Law of Moses still applies, but those under the new covenant who are born in the spirit either fulfill a specific command literally, spiritually, or exceed it.
That's a fascinating theory you have, but the answer to the question of the thread is much easier and reliable.

The reason that the legalistic demands of the OT are not in force any more is because the NT--which Christians of all denominations consider to be God's word no less than the OT--sets them aside now that the Savior has come and redeemed mankind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That's a fascinating theory you have, but the answer to the question of the thread is much easier and reliable.

The reason that the legalistic demands of the OT are not in force any more is because the NT--which Christians of all denominations consider to be God's word no less than the OT--sets them aside now that the Savior has come and redeemed mankind.

That's incredibly untrue. How else do you think that stealing, fornication, adultery are all still sins except because of what the law of Moses reveals as them being sins? People conveniently discard the law of Moses because they are in fact still sinful, and think that as opposed to the strictness of the law of Moses, that the shedding of the blood of Jesus has somehow given mankind more lenience in relation to sin. Not so, Jesus spoke with words like, "be perfect", and "sin no more", so therefore, the new covenant is in fact more strict....

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I was always told that the laws of the Old Testament did not apply to Christians, this seems to be the general consensus, however I came across some passages that have raised some questions in my mind about this, it seems that Jesus strongly approves of the laws of the prophets. It seems that he's saying that the Old Testament should be abided by until basically the cessation of human existence.
Opinions?

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17)

For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:18-19

"It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17)
Unless one understands that the commandments are only preparation for being born [again] of the spirit of God [being made perfect], then the commandments become a stumbling block. But after one is made perfect in the spirit, the preparation of which the commandments served, is past, and they are no longer kept in "practice", but are fulfilled and kept [perfect] for eternity (in Christ). Such a one, is One with God, against whom there is no law or commandments. This is what it means to be "free" in Christ.

Why, then, did Jesus say to keep His commandments? Because He was speaking to those who had not yet been given the Holy Spirit, and were therefore, not born again of the spirit of God (not made anew, not perfected, not One with God).

It is important to know who you are. Are you born again of the spirit of God, having received the Holy Spirit? Have you been made [born] again anew...or not? If you have: "It is finished." If not: "Keep my commandments."

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That's incredibly untrue. How else do you think that stealing, fornication, adultery are all still sins except because of what the law of Moses reveals as them being sins? People conveniently discard the law of Moses because they are in fact still sinful, and think that as opposed to the strictness of the law of Moses, that the shedding of the blood of Jesus has somehow given mankind more lenience in relation to sin. Not so, Jesus spoke with words like, "be perfect", and "sin no more", so therefore, the new covenant is in fact more strict....

cgaviria,

1. Sin has always been sin in each age, before the law of Moses and after the Moses.

2. The antediluvians did not have a written law but the conscience was their guide even though not always the best because your conscience could be seared.
Cain killed Abel and there was no mandatory law about murder or a specific judgement but he know people would be bucking for him and this is why he asked God for protection.
Under the law murder was death and fornication and a child sassing their parents were stoning. Today fornication is still wrong but it doesn't carry a penalty of stoning.

3. I understand some lack of understanding of the law of Moses being holy and good compared to the self effort and defeat and abolishment of the weakness of the commandment. The bible goes to great lengths to show the differences to the Hebrews and the gentiles through Paul the apostle and whoever wrote Hebrews which I lean more to the apostle Paul.

4. The early church was jews and proselyted gentiles from Christ ministry which was under the old covenant of the law of Moses.

5. Christ expounded the law and the prophets concerning his Messiahship and being the Savior and why he had to fulfill what they said of him. However, they didn't know everything about the change of old to new and this is because of gradual revelation and they were not told of every jot and tittle of the difference especially about the gentiles and the body of Christ in a different context of the church.

6. Peter and the apostles still had the KoH in their mind before Christ arose and Christ said it wasn't for them to know. The jews had the covenants and the apostles knew the message had changed of how to attain unto salvation through the new covenant but they didn't fully understand the church and the body of Christ in its completion.

7. It was 8 to 10 years later before Peter got the vision of the clean and the unclean but he could not fight God. Paul gave in greater detail of the jew and gentile in one body alike and the separation of jew and gentile.

8. The law was to be forever for the jew but the law of Moses was until the seed should come. This sounds like an oxymoron or contradiction but the law itself could only say Thou shalt not and could not draw people to God to carry out the command and could not save a person. It took the God-man as the savior of the world to redeem man from sin.

9. Contrary to popular belief the law had different purposes in a different context. The law was not of faith and yet it was also holy and good. It was good if performed but the spirit of life is greater because of the person of Christ in helping us to perform the commandment. It doesn't mean that the new covenant believer is better or will always perform the commandment any better than the old covenant believer but the possibility is greater for obedience under the new than the old.

10. A jew would argue that the law was to be who you are and in the long run I would agree. There were many jews who are very much more disciplined than new covenant believers in obedience. However, it was through self effort many times because of the law of sin and death taking the advantage of the Mosaic law's weakness. The good things of the law are magnified much greater in the new covenant of the perfect one. This is why the new covenant was built on better promises and different than the old covenant.

11. The jews culture was wrapped up in all of the law and because the law was moral and spiritual is why many doctrines about the sabbath (which is not really moral) and the keeping of the dietary law etc are carried to the extreme and are made doctrines that have to be performed.
Jesus wanted them to be perfect according to the law and some did perform the law perfectly so it was not impossible to perform the law perfectly at all like some believe. He told the woman caught in adultery to go and sin no more and to us he says to abstain from all appearance of evil.
Under the law they were to be perfect to be blessed but that didn't mean they would attain it in every jot and tittle and the new covenant is no different otherwise God would be a respector of persons.

12. The law was perfect if done but man is imperfect and Jesus is perfect and we are still imperfect.

13. Peter said the flesh has ceased from sin so it wouldn't fulfill the things of the flesh and Paul said he did everything to mortify the members of his body otherwise he would could be a reprobate and he was a christian.

14. It is no doubt that God's strength is all powerful and if it pervaded our lives completely 24-7 we could technically perform sinless acts all through our christian lives. It is a possibility not necessarily a probability.

15. John said, all unrighteousness is sin and that covers alot of ground and God wants us to depend on him because we are still in training. 2 Timothy 2:12.

16. The sin struggle is over in the new nature about who's one master is and so we won't sin. Peter said this in the context of suffering of which we are to arm ourselves with that same mind.
17. God's purpose is in predestination of the foreknowledge of God and his redemptive plan to save us. This doesn't mean he will do everything for us or that because we will automatically do everything the Holy Spirit leads us to do. In your context of receiving the Holy Spirit and then you will be sinless type of mindset is very naive and is being ignorant of satan's devices. Paul said, to be careful if you think you stand then you will fall. Even of the most humble men of faith down through history understand their shortcomings though maybe not like many christians today that may not understand how much God hates sin or takes it for granted.

18. Now I understand truth is truth and God can bring forth irresistible grace through his love and those who gravitate to God most likely will grab a hold of it but this doesn't mean that those who don't gravitate normally to him cannot grab a hold of it either. God told the jews to choose life in order to be blessed because he had set forth his purpose for their lives but they had to choose to cooperate with him. There is no covenant connected to man and salvation of his soul that is not conditioned by obedience. And there is no where that shows a christian will never fall into sin for any reason. Even Peter gave the condition in 1 Peter 1:8 when we have the right virtues; For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. The word if is conditional of virtues being in a christian. But those lacking these virtues is blind and has forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. This shows christians can sin after they receive the Holy Ghost of which Peter had received on the Day of Pentecost.

19. John said he that knoweth to do good and doeth it not it is sin. Peter after being saved and receiving the Holy Ghost got in trouble for being a respect of persons and knew better and Paul called him down on it. God didn't preordain him to sin but he did.

20. Predestination is based on the knowledge of his purpose and destiny for man to attain being conformed to the image of God's son. In the context of being a christian things will be attained but it doesn't mean that God will make us do those things just because we are in the club. Israel thought because they were in the club in Ezekiel's day and that God would not judge them and take away their salvation and he told them he would unless they would ask for forgiveness and the same was for a gentile who didn't know him.

21. If you think that you will be sinless after receiving the Holy Spirit God you will learn otherwise sooner or later. This doesn't mean that I wish you to sin even more than God but in Romans 8 Paul said he had a made up mind that nothing would separate him from the love of God and at the same time the things he listed about tribulation, etc. he knew would not effect God but man. God requires cooperation in obedience with our freewill choice and he will not go over the churches head in rulership training. We are not in the perfected state yet and this body is tainted with sin and must be resurrected and we must pass our earthly test before we receive the crown of perfection with no chance of sinning.

22. Philippians 3 talks about apprehending perfection of the body and the spiritual aspect of being perfect without possibility of missing the mark.

23. Last, but not least, is the state of abiding in Christ and doing those things that bring forth the fruits of perfection is true, but this doesn't mean that we have no possibility or cannot fall into sin or that we have no freewill choice. The condition is always there just like Paul said in Galatians 5; Walk in the spirit and you won't fulfill the things of the flesh. The condition is walking in the Spirit. The absolute of this coming to pass is in the condition and the state of and not because God will make us do it.

14. You can manipulate the motive all you want but the condition and the possibility of not being perfect is there. Jerry kelso

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's incredibly untrue. How else do you think that stealing, fornication, adultery are all still sins except because of what the law of Moses reveals as them being sins?
They were not among those OT regulations which were set aside in the age of grace. OK?

Jesus spoke with words like, "be perfect", and "sin no more", so therefore, the new covenant is in fact more strict....
In certain areas or respects, that probably is correct to say. In others, such as you questioned, it's not so.

This is not really terribly difficult to understand.

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
They were not among those OT regulations which were set aside in the age of grace. OK?

In certain areas or respects, that probably is correct to say. In others, such as you questioned, it's not so.

This is not really terribly difficult to understand.

In certain areas or respects? These are your words discarding what Jesus said. When he said be perfect, he said be perfect in all things. This coincides with other scriptures, such as,
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (1 John 3:9 [KJV])

This is only possibly by receiving holy spirit.

Upvote 0