Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Shouldn't we tackle absentee fraud first, or at the same time at least, considering it happens much more frequently, and is much easier to pull off?

Are you referring to absentee ballots? I've always been uncomfortable with any system that doesn't require a legitimate voter to show up and cast a ballot. That said, there will always be good reasons why that can pose a problem. Out-of-town, elderly, in hospital, etc. Truth be know, I have voted absentee for over 15 years now. In fact, it's just about the only way people vote where I live. And yes, it concerns me. Think of a bunch of nursing home residents whose ballots are just confiscated by staff and voted by them. You know it happens. I had a friend that has been voting his elderly mother's ballot for years.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are you referring to absentee ballots? I've always been uncomfortable with any system that doesn't require a legitimate voter to show up and cast a ballot. That said, there will always be good reasons why that can pose a problem. Out-of-town, elderly, in hospital, etc. Truth be know, I have voted absentee for over 15 years now. In fact, it's just about the only way people vote where I live. And yes, it concerns me. Think of a bunch of nursing home residents whose ballots are just confiscated by staff and voted by them. You know it happens. I had a friend that has been voting his elderly mother's ballot for years.

I'm not saying to do away with it, but it has a huge fraud problem relative to in person voting.

It seems odd we are going after the more secure method...

Upvote 0

JCSr

Gunshine State
Sep 6, 2012
✟11,486.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat

That means you are uncomfortable with soldiers stationed overseas voting via absentee ballot, correct?

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Okay, of Abbott's "50" convictions it seems 29 of them need to be subtracted. That leaves a grand total of what? (Let's see now... Using that 'rithmitic stuff Clinton talked about...) 31! Since 2002 when Abbott gained office. And that's in the great state of Texas with the second largest population in these here United States. And most of them were small town stuff to obtain an election of a mayor or county judge. I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the wholesale throwing of national elections here.

What else you wanna discuss?

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Until it becomes voter fraud.

By that logic, we should outlaw gas peddles. Alone, they are nothing bad....BUT, when you speed, then its a bad thing. So to make sure no one ever does that bad thing, we just outlaw that thing which has potential to be bad.

Problem solved

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So if it's no big deal, than why not just clean up the voter roles? What reason could you possibly have to make sure that all voters are legitimate?
I never said that it wasn't a big deal and I generally support voter ID laws. But conflating terms only serves to hurt the effort to tighten voting legitimacy.

Unless of course you wanted Democrats to have an unfair advantage. It seems that because of the Lefts extreme objection every time the issue is raised, they ASSUME that all these illegitimate voters MUST be voting for D's. What if they were actually voting for R's? Would that upset you?
Disenfranchising any legitimate voter upsets me. But as a PA GOP poltician has already admitted their voter ID law is intended to help Romney win the state. In Florida, the voter purge did disproportionality affect Democratic voting blocks.

Like I said, I generally support voter ID laws and any law that adds legitimacy to our voting system. This is why I don't support the GOP in this issue. Their actions have been by and large efforts to disenfranchise Dem voters and do little to stop actual voter fraud.

Upvote 0

TScott

Curmudgeon
Apr 19, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟11,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
<snore...>

I hate to break it to the alramists who think it's cool to get all worked up, but actual voter fraud is essentially non-existent in the US. Of the 2000+ cases reprted it turns out that only 10 cases of actual in person voter fraud since 2000. If you consider there are about 145 million voters in the US, and that there have been, what, 5 Federal elections since then, the number becomes completely insignificant.

Source: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=voter%20fraud%20cases&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CFYQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.azcentral.com%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Farticles%2F20120817voter-fraud-rare-united-states.html&ei=BolXUPKSIezgigLw54HAAw&usg=AFQjCNFCyltRV1qwnMTs4BKRBRh1VbE0Kw

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, of Abbott's "50" convictions it seems 29 of them need to be subtracted. That leaves a grand total of what? (Let's see now... Using that 'rithmitic stuff Clinton talked about...) 31! Since 2002 when Abbott gained office. And that's in the great state of Texas with the second largest population in these here United States. And most of them were small town stuff to obtain an election of a mayor or county judge. I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the wholesale throwing of national elections here.

What else you wanna discuss?
Interesting that Politifact gave no reason for subtracting the 29. Interesting that you didn't question that either. Having said that, how many incidents of voter fraud are acceptable to you?

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Interesting that Politifact gave no reason for subtracting the 29. Interesting that you didn't question that either. Having said that, how many incidents of voter fraud are acceptable to you?

Any method that disenfranchises more valid voters then fraud it would prevent isn't very useful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
MachZer0 said:

I'm sorry you missed what they said. It's in there.

Of course no fraud should be accepted, but with millions of voters a miniscule number such as we have, that do not affect presidential races, will need to be tolerated, going after the 31 in ten years, or 3.1 cases a year as Abbott did.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry you missed what they said. It's in there.

Of course no fraud should be accepted, but with millions of voters a miniscule number such as we have, that do not affect presidential races, will need to be tolerated, going after the 31 in ten years, or 3.1 cases a year as Abbott did.
What they said was that they subtracted 29, and gave no valid reason. Voter fraud is like cockroaches. For every one you see, there are plenty you don't see.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Both sides should be equally concerned about registration fraud, voter fraud, voting machine hack-ability, AND disenfranchisement of voters.

I think both sides are concerned with it, it's their respective positions on how to deal with it that are at issue.

Upvote 0