True Justification, works of the Law of Moses, & Conditional Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you not find it a little odd though that you cannot consider yourself part of any denomination because your beliefs are that different from everyone else?

You should fit in somewhere unless your theology is so messed up. Unless you live on a farm somewhere with no roads you should be able to find like minded people to worship with.
In the last days, men shall depart from the faith. Jesus said, narrow is the way that leads unto life and FEW (Not many) be there that find it. Jesus had a problem with the majority of the churches in Revelation. I also do not believe my Theology is messed up in any way. I believe I can show you many verses that explain what I believe and I can use real world examples (parables) to back up what I believe spiritually, as well. Usually false beliefs cannot be illustrated by way of a real world example. Take for example OSAS. It cannot be made into a real world example or parable. It is also not consistent with basic morality or the goodness of God, either. In addition, you would have to remove or ignore about 90% of the verses in the New Testament to make OSAS true, too.

Reactions: JLB777
Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am glad you have a full church. J hope it it is full of spirit filled christians. I know of a well known christian who said he went round different churches in his search for God. He said some of the churches he went to didn't bury the dead, they put them in the pews!
Please don't suggest Catholics live more superior moral lives to protestants. I will say no more unless you wish to go further into the subject.
John was spirit filled and led as were the other writers of the NT.
The greatest power and most rapid growth seen in the christian church was before the emergence of the scholar and theologian, not afterwards!
I lived in a christian community twice predominantly run by Catholics, they were charismatic, really nice people. The true dividing line in Christianity is not according to denomination but the holy spirit. Some churches seek to follow his leading, some don't

:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
First, no true believer is self taught. All true believers are ultimately taught by the Spirit or God. For the Spirit shall guide us into all truth. Second, show me where New Covenant believers attended a church building as you see it today in Scripture. On the contrary, what you will see in the New Testament is believers gathering in their homes and celebrating the Lord's supper. You will not see regular fellowship involving one man speaking over a large crowd in a large building they call a "church" (When it is God's people who are called the church). There is no board of directors. Even Paul himself did not charge for the gospel. But today, "church" is big business. That is what it is. Fellowship was not a gathering of believers and unbelievers with some kind of altar call. Fellowship was excusively for believers. Evangelism was done by believers going house to house.

Two threads you should check out are:
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/no-one-man-pastor-ministry-over-all.7895370/
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/the-church-which-meets-in-their-house.7895195/....

This is patent nonsense. First of all, the congregation of God, known as the Church, had a place of worship. It was the Temple. God didn't entertain this Long Ranger idea of being a believer. He established a community which was known as the edah in Hebrew and the eklessia in Greek. The community had a specific place of worship.

When Jesus spoke of the coming earthly Kingdom in the New Covenant, he compared it to a mustard seed. A seed does not look anything like the finished tree. In like manner, to say that because the very first Christians did not meet in a specific place during the "seed period" of the Church, and then to say this is the way that the Church should be today is utterly ridiculous and doesn't follow the analogy which Christ gave of the Church in the New Covenant.

As far as the Holy Spirit leading the individual into all truth, from where do you get such nonsense? I say it is nonsense because of the evidence to the contrary which we see all around us. There are hundreds of doctrines, thousands of churches, all disagreeing with each other and yet all saying that they are led by the Bible and the Holy Spirit into truth.

Hogwash!

The Bible places the truth in one place and one alone - the Church which was called "katholicos" by the second century. The Church has the promises of being led into all truth and being the place of truth.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is patent nonsense. First of all, the congregation of God, known as the Church, had a place of worship. It was the Temple. God didn't entertain this Long Ranger idea of being a believer. He established a community which was known as the edah in Hebrew and the eklessia in Greek. The community had a specific place of worship.

When Jesus spoke of the coming earthly Kingdom in the New Covenant, he compared it to a mustard seed. A seed does not look anything like the finished tree. In like manner, to say that because the very first Christians did not meet in a specific place during the "seed period" of the Church, and then to say this is the way that the Church should be today is utterly ridiculous and doesn't follow the analogy which Christ gave of the Church in the New Covenant.

As far as the Holy Spirit leading the individual into all truth, from where do you get such nonsense? I say it is nonsense because of the evidence to the contrary which we see all around us. There are hundreds of doctrines, thousands of churches, all disagreeing with each other and yet all saying that they are led by the Bible and the Holy Spirit into truth.

Hogwash!

The Bible places the truth in one place and one alone - the Church which was called "katholicos" by the second century. The Church has the promises of being led into all truth and being the place of truth.

I don't care to argue with you over what church fellowship was actually like. That is not what this thread is about. I have provided two links already within this thread on this topic. If you are interested, you can check out those links here:

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/no-one-man-pastor-ministry-over-all.7895370/
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/the-church-which-meets-in-their-house.7895195/

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello LofE.

This Gospel of Jesus Christ is ever so simple.

I quoted the following verse.

19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow
citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household.

Then I stated.

Your citizenship has already been granted to you in Christ. Your
citizenship is not a future event, you already have full citizenship.

Then I asked you.

Are you saying LofE, that we are not citizens of God's household yet?

You answered, 'No'.

So you agree that we have full citizenship.

Then you turn around and contradicted yourself by saying the following.

'the Last Judgment has not taken place yet.'

Which according to you, means that a citizen is truly a citizen, but
also may not be a citizen at the very same time?

Here is the simple Gospel LofE.

Romans 10
9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in
your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Your citizenship is not determined by some hit and miss approach.

Your citizenship is guaranteed by God Himself.

Do you believe that you are saved because you believe and confess?

Paul states 'you will be saved'.

Are you saying LofE, that your salvation is not secure by believing
in Jesus Christ? Are you disagreeing with the apostle Paul?

The Gospel is not a journey, the Gospel is about who you believe.
The Gospel is merely entrance to having a relationship with Christ who is the source of our salvation. No Jesus living in our life and there is then no salvation (1 John 5:12). Salvation is not Easy Believism (James 2:17-19). Salvation is also not Antinomianism (an ignoring of God's Laws); And Salvation is not in Man Directed Works Salvationism. Salvation is Relationship-ism. Salvation is a person named Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't care to argue with you over what church fellowship was actually like. That is not what this thread is about. I have provided two links already within this thread on this topic. If you are interested, you can check out those links here:

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/the-church-which-meets-in-their-house.7895195/

In other words, I showed you the truth, you don't like it, so you don't wish to talk anymore.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In other words, I showed you the truth, you don't like it, so you don't wish to talk anymore.
When are you going to explain the truth of 1hohn 3:4 & rom 3:20-22 to me according to catholic doctrine? I have asked you twice

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Were bein a lot more polite about lote s church than he is about protestant churches. Maybe his church doesn't teach him to show kindness and respect. I guess that must be more a protestant thing

The Early Fathers didn't have a real good feeling for schism and heresy either:

In their writings the Early Church Fathers condemned heretics and schismatics. They taught that those outside of the Catholic Church had no hope of salvation. However, they made an allowance for those who through no fault of their own, didn’t know any better. They didn’t see God as being legalistic. Rather they saw a merciful God who judged men by what they did with what they had. Or as Paul teaches us in 1 Corinthians 4:5, men will be judged by the purposes of their hearts.

Clement of Rome

Let us go through all generationsand learn that in generation after generation the Master has given a place of repentance for those willing to turn to him.Those who repented for their sins, appeased God in praying, and received salvation, even though they were aliens to God(Letter to the Corinthians, no. 7 [AD 95]).

Ignatius of Antioch

Be not deceived, my brethren: If anyone follows a maker of schism [i.e., is a schismatic], he does not inherit the kingdom of God; if anyone walks in strange doctrine [i.e., is a heretic], he has no part in the Passion [of Christ]. Take care, then, to use one Eucharist, so that whatever you do, you do according to God: For there is one flesh of our Lord Jesus Christ, and one cup in the union of his blood; one altar, as there is one bishop, with the presbytery and my fellow servants, the deacons (Letter to the Philadelphians 3:3-4:1 [A.D. 110]).

Justin Martyr

We have been taught that Christ is the first-begotten of God, and we have declared him to be the Logos of which all mankind partakes [John 1:9]. Those, therefore, who lived according to reason [Greek, logos} were really Christians, even though they were thought to be atheists, such as, among the Greeks, Socrates, Heraclitus, and others like them. . . . Those who lived before Christ but did not live according to reason [logos] were wicked men, and enemies of Christ, and murderers of those who did live according to reason [logos], whereas those who lived then or who live now according to reason [logos] are Christians. Such as these can be confident and unafraid (First Apology 46 [A.D. 151]).

Irenaeus

In the Church God has placed apostles, prophets, teachers, and every other working of the Spirit, of whom none of those are sharers who do not conform to the Church, but who defraud themselves of life by an evil mind and even worse way of acting. Where the Church is, there is the Spirit of God; where the Spirit of God is, there is the Church and all grace (Against Heresies 3:24:1 [A.D. 189]).

[The spiritual man] shall also judge those who give rise to schisms, who are destitute of the love of God, and who look to their own special advantage rather than to the unity of the Church; and who for trifling reasons, or any kind of reason which occurs to them, cut in pieces and divide the great and glorious body of Christ, and so far as in them lies, destroy it — men who prate of peace while they give rise to war, and do in truth strain out a gnat, but swallow a camel. For they can bring about no "reformation" of enough importance to compensate for the evil arising from their schism. . . . True knowledge is that which consists in the doctrine of the apostles, and the ancient constitution of the Church throughout all the world, and the distinctive manifestation of the body of Christ according to the successions of the bishops, by which they have handed down that Church which exists in every place [i.e., the Catholic Church] (ibid., 4:33:7-8).

Origen

There was never a time when God did not want men to be just; he was always concerned about that. Indeed, he always provided beings endowed with reason with occasions for practicing virtue and doing what is right. In every generation the Wisdom of God descended into those souls which he found holy and made them to be prophets and friends of God (Against Celsus 4:7 [A.D. 248]).

If someone from this people wants to be saved, let him come into this house so that he may be able to attain his salvation. . . . Let no one, then, be persuaded otherwise, nor let anyone deceive himself: Outside of this house, that is, outside of the Church, no one is saved; for, if anyone should go out of it, he is guilty of his own death (Homilies on Joshua 3:5 [A.D. 250]).

Cyprian of Carthage

Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress [a schismatic church] is separated from the promises of the Church, nor will he that forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ. He is an alien, a worldling, and an enemy. He cannot have God for his Father who has not the Church for his mother (The Unity of the Catholic Church 6, 1st ed. [A.D. 251]).

Let them not think that the way of life or salvation exists for them, if they have refused to obey the bishops and priests, since the Lord says in the book of Deuteronomy: "And any man who has the insolence to refuse to listen to the priest or judge, whoever he may be in those days, that man shall die" [Deut. 17:12-13]. And then, indeed, they were killed with the sword . . . but now the proud and insolent are killed with the sword of the Spirit, when they are cast out from the Church. For they cannot live outside, since there is only one house of God, and there can be no salvation for anyone except in the Church (Letters 61[4]:4 [A.D. 253]).

The baptism of public witness [desire] and of blood cannot profit a heretic [one who holds the faith and then abandons it] unto salvation, because there is no salvation outside the Church (Letters 72 [73]:21 [A.D. 253]).

Lactanius

It is, therefore, the Catholic Church alone that retains true worship. This is the fountain of truth; this, the domicile of faith; this, the temple of God. Whoever does not enter there or whoever does not go out from there, he is a stranger to the hope of life and salvation. . . Because, however, all the various groups of heretics are confident that they are the Christians and think that theirs is the Catholic Church, let it be known that this is the true Church, in which there is confession and penance and which takes a health-promoting care of the sins and wounds to which the weak flesh is subject (Divine Institutes 4:30:11-13 [A.D. 307]).

Jerome

Heretics bring sentence upon themselves since they by their own choice withdraw from the Church, a withdrawal which, since they are aware of it, constitutes damnation. Between heresy and schism there is this difference: that heresy involves perverse doctrine, while schism separates one from the Church on account of disagreement with the bishop. Nevertheless, there is no schism which does not trump up a heresy to justify its departure from the Church (Commentary on Titus 3:10-11 [A.D. 386]).

Augustine

We believe also in the holy Church, that is, the Catholic Church. For heretics violate the faith itself by a false opinion about God; schismatics, however, withdraw from fraternal love by hostile separations, although they believe the same things we do. Consequently; neither heretics nor schismatics belong to the Catholic Church, not heretics, because the Church loves God, and not schismatics, because the Church loves neighbor (Faith and the Creed 10:21 [A.D. 393]).

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Early Fathers didn't have a real good feeling for schism and heresy either:

In their writings the Early Church Fathers condemned heretics and schismatics. They taught that those outside of the Catholic Church had no hope of salvation. However, they made an allowance for those who through no fault of their own, didn’t know any better. They didn’t see God as being legalistic. Rather they saw a merciful God who judged men by what they did with what they had. Or as Paul teaches us in 1 Corinthians 4:5, men will be judged by the purposes of their hearts.

Clement of Rome

Let us go through all generationsand learn that in generation after generation the Master has given a place of repentance for those willing to turn to him.Those who repented for their sins, appeased God in praying, and received salvation, even though they were aliens to God(Letter to the Corinthians, no. 7 [AD 95]).

Ignatius of Antioch

Be not deceived, my brethren: If anyone follows a maker of schism [i.e., is a schismatic], he does not inherit the kingdom of God; if anyone walks in strange doctrine [i.e., is a heretic], he has no part in the Passion [of Christ]. Take care, then, to use one Eucharist, so that whatever you do, you do according to God: For there is one flesh of our Lord Jesus Christ, and one cup in the union of his blood; one altar, as there is one bishop, with the presbytery and my fellow servants, the deacons (Letter to the Philadelphians 3:3-4:1 [A.D. 110]).

Justin Martyr

We have been taught that Christ is the first-begotten of God, and we have declared him to be the Logos of which all mankind partakes [John 1:9]. Those, therefore, who lived according to reason [Greek, logos} were really Christians, even though they were thought to be atheists, such as, among the Greeks, Socrates, Heraclitus, and others like them. . . . Those who lived before Christ but did not live according to reason [logos] were wicked men, and enemies of Christ, and murderers of those who did live according to reason [logos], whereas those who lived then or who live now according to reason [logos] are Christians. Such as these can be confident and unafraid (First Apology 46 [A.D. 151]).

Irenaeus

In the Church God has placed apostles, prophets, teachers, and every other working of the Spirit, of whom none of those are sharers who do not conform to the Church, but who defraud themselves of life by an evil mind and even worse way of acting. Where the Church is, there is the Spirit of God; where the Spirit of God is, there is the Church and all grace (Against Heresies 3:24:1 [A.D. 189]).

[The spiritual man] shall also judge those who give rise to schisms, who are destitute of the love of God, and who look to their own special advantage rather than to the unity of the Church; and who for trifling reasons, or any kind of reason which occurs to them, cut in pieces and divide the great and glorious body of Christ, and so far as in them lies, destroy it — men who prate of peace while they give rise to war, and do in truth strain out a gnat, but swallow a camel. For they can bring about no "reformation" of enough importance to compensate for the evil arising from their schism. . . . True knowledge is that which consists in the doctrine of the apostles, and the ancient constitution of the Church throughout all the world, and the distinctive manifestation of the body of Christ according to the successions of the bishops, by which they have handed down that Church which exists in every place [i.e., the Catholic Church] (ibid., 4:33:7-8).

Origen

There was never a time when God did not want men to be just; he was always concerned about that. Indeed, he always provided beings endowed with reason with occasions for practicing virtue and doing what is right. In every generation the Wisdom of God descended into those souls which he found holy and made them to be prophets and friends of God (Against Celsus 4:7 [A.D. 248]).

If someone from this people wants to be saved, let him come into this house so that he may be able to attain his salvation. . . . Let no one, then, be persuaded otherwise, nor let anyone deceive himself: Outside of this house, that is, outside of the Church, no one is saved; for, if anyone should go out of it, he is guilty of his own death (Homilies on Joshua 3:5 [A.D. 250]).

Cyprian of Carthage

Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress [a schismatic church] is separated from the promises of the Church, nor will he that forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ. He is an alien, a worldling, and an enemy. He cannot have God for his Father who has not the Church for his mother (The Unity of the Catholic Church 6, 1st ed. [A.D. 251]).

Let them not think that the way of life or salvation exists for them, if they have refused to obey the bishops and priests, since the Lord says in the book of Deuteronomy: "And any man who has the insolence to refuse to listen to the priest or judge, whoever he may be in those days, that man shall die" [Deut. 17:12-13]. And then, indeed, they were killed with the sword . . . but now the proud and insolent are killed with the sword of the Spirit, when they are cast out from the Church. For they cannot live outside, since there is only one house of God, and there can be no salvation for anyone except in the Church (Letters 61[4]:4 [A.D. 253]).

The baptism of public witness [desire] and of blood cannot profit a heretic [one who holds the faith and then abandons it] unto salvation, because there is no salvation outside the Church (Letters 72 [73]:21 [A.D. 253]).

Lactanius

It is, therefore, the Catholic Church alone that retains true worship. This is the fountain of truth; this, the domicile of faith; this, the temple of God. Whoever does not enter there or whoever does not go out from there, he is a stranger to the hope of life and salvation. . . Because, however, all the various groups of heretics are confident that they are the Christians and think that theirs is the Catholic Church, let it be known that this is the true Church, in which there is confession and penance and which takes a health-promoting care of the sins and wounds to which the weak flesh is subject (Divine Institutes 4:30:11-13 [A.D. 307]).

Jerome

Heretics bring sentence upon themselves since they by their own choice withdraw from the Church, a withdrawal which, since they are aware of it, constitutes damnation. Between heresy and schism there is this difference: that heresy involves perverse doctrine, while schism separates one from the Church on account of disagreement with the bishop. Nevertheless, there is no schism which does not trump up a heresy to justify its departure from the Church (Commentary on Titus 3:10-11 [A.D. 386]).

Augustine

We believe also in the holy Church, that is, the Catholic Church. For heretics violate the faith itself by a false opinion about God; schismatics, however, withdraw from fraternal love by hostile separations, although they believe the same things we do. Consequently; neither heretics nor schismatics belong to the Catholic Church, not heretics, because the Church loves God, and not schismatics, because the Church loves neighbor (Faith and the Creed 10:21 [A.D. 393]).
I dunno. Some protestants believe Catholics cant be saved and some Catholics believe protestants cant be saved

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not at all. I examined Catholic beliefs in light of Scripture and they simply do not exist in the New Testament. This is why you reject Sola Scriptura and add to the Bible with church tradition. Also, I do not see any of the fruits of God in the Catholic church, either. Jesus said we will know false prophets by their fruit. So no. I do not believe you showed me any kind of truth or anything. I am merely not discussing it because:

(a) That is not what this thread is about.
(b) I know you would not be open to hearing what the Word actually says on the matter in regards to true fellowship as shown in the NT.

But I provided the links in the off chance that you might want to examine the Scriptures on the topic (if that is something that truly interests you).

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When are you going to explain the truth of 1hohn 3:4 & rom 3:20-22 to me according to catholic doctrine? I have asked you twice

Sorry. Must have missed that question. Big thread here.

Let's see:

1Jo 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Okay, help me out here. What exactly is your question or point you wish to have addressed?

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. 21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

And the same here. Let me ask you to make your point and then I can discuss it with you.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry. Must have missed that question. Big thread here.

Let's see:

1Jo 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Okay, help me out here. What exactly is your question or point you wish to have addressed?

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. 21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

And the same here. Let me ask you to make your point and then I can discuss it with you.
That's a cop out. I want you to explain to me what those two quotes mean for the christian. You do have an opinion on them don't you? When you link them together what truth do we learn from them?

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not at all. I examined Catholic beliefs in light of Scripture and they simply do not exist in the New Testament. This is why you reject Sola Scriptura and add to the Bible with church tradition. Also, I do not see any of the fruits of God in the Catholic church, either. Jesus said we will know false prophets by their fruit. So no. I do not believe you showed me any kind of truth or anything. I am merely not discussing it because:

(a) That is not what this thread is about.
(b) I know you would not be open to hearing what the Word actually says on the matter in regards to true fellowship as shown in the NT.

But I provided the links for you to examine the Scriptures on the topic (if that is something that truly interests you).

I was a Catholic-hating Protestant bigot for 25 years. I know all the lies about and all the arguments against the Catholic faith very thoroughly, and when I was challenged by Catholics, I knew the Bible well enough to go to it and try to refute them. The problem is that

A.) history is against you. I found out that the Early Church was not Presbyterian or Baptist, but had the distinct markings of being Catholic

B.) that the teachings of Protestantism were not taught in the first century and there is no record of them ever existing prior to 1517 and Luther's rebellion. The idea that they did exist is nowhere supported in Christian history.

C.) that because we live in the New Covenant, we are a covenant people. Therefore, we are governed by the rules of covenant. Only the Catholic faith is supportable by covenant principles. Protestantism violates rules of covenant, therefore, it cannot be true.

D.) that much of the writings of men such as Lorriane Boettner, Jack Chick, and other bigots, were birthed in hatred for the Catholic Church and total dishonesty.

E.) what fruits do you see in Protestantism? Killing innocent people simply because they are Catholic? Is that the fruit you are so impressed by. Pretty rotten fruit I would say.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you think you fit better into the Catholic or Eastern Orthodox camps?

No. I see these camps as being more outwardly religious even more so than Protestants. They are even farther from what I believe to be what I see how the believer is pictured in the New Testament. For Jesus said, "...Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces" (Mark 12:38).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was a Catholic-hating Protestant bigot for 25 years. I know all the lies about and all the arguments against the Catholic faith very thoroughly, and when I was challenged by Catholics, I knew the Bible well enough to go to it and try to refute them. The problem is that

A.) history is against you. I found out that the Early Church was not Presbyterian or Baptist, but had the distinct markings of being Catholic

B.) that the teachings of Protestantism were not taught in the first century and there is no record of them ever existing prior to 1517 and Luther's rebellion. The idea that they did exist is nowhere supported in Christian history.

C.) that because we live in the New Covenant, we are a covenant people. Therefore, we are governed by the rules of covenant. Only the Catholic faith is supportable by covenant principles. Protestantism violates rules of covenant, therefore, it cannot be true.

D.) that much of the writings of men such as Lorriane Boettner, Jack Chick, and other bigots, were birthed in hatred for the Catholic Church and total dishonesty.

E.) what fruits do you see in Protestantism? Killing innocent people simply because they are Catholic? Is that the fruit you are so impressed by. Pretty rotten fruit I would say.
Come on. Are you telling me the history of your church was never violent and didn't kill people who disagreed with it?

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's a cop out. I want you to explain to me what those two quotes mean for the christian. You do have an opinion on them don't you? When you link them together what truth do we learn from them?

Okay. The deeds of the Law has to do with the Jews trusting in circumcision for their salvation rather than placing faith in Christ as savior. Paul fought this fight all his life after his conversion. The Judaizers were causing a lot of problems in the Church, going around teaching that circumcision was necessary to "really be a Christian." The entire book of Galatians is about this problem, with Paul getting so angry at them that he wishes they would not stop at circumcision, but go all the way and cut off everything.

What I have found is that Protestants see the words "works of the Law" and make that to be the doing of good works. The two are not the same. We are commanded to do good works and according to John 5:28-29, Matthew 25: 31-46, Romans 2: 5-10, and Rev. 20: 12-14, good works are the standard by which eternal life will be given out. But to do what the Jews were doing, that is, to trust in circumcision as being necessary for salvation, is incorrect. Salvation is a free gift which has no works or Law attached to it. Christ as the Last Adam, did what Adam failed to do. He perfectly obeyed His Father and took on our broken human nature to heal it and offer us a way out of the dilemma of being slaves to sin.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.