Time of Death

L

Lord Of The Forest

I would be more interested in the manner of my death than the time.

if it were "painless" then I wouldn't care about the when.

If it were incredibly painful I would want to know when so I could plan to put myself on some MAJOR pain killers before.

18361543.jpg

Upvote 0
T

toastface_grillah

Oooo...rather ominous title...but someone posed a fascinating question to me.

"
If you had the chance to find out the time, place and manner of your death, would you want to know?"

I'll post my reply in a little while.

Thoughts?

I'd have to pass. Knowing me, I'd probably spend the rest of my life dwelling on it. If it was something I could prevent with a little knowledge (i.e. dying before my time because of poor health/bad decisions, or being in the wrong place at the wrong time), then I'd want to know. Otherwise, probably not.

Upvote 0

SweetAvenue

Nov 28, 2011
Massachusetts (North Shore)
✟15,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Definitely not.

I think it would just bumm me out. I mean If I was going to die a horrible, painful death I wouldn't want to know about it. I think it would just always be on my mind, especially if I passed the place on a regular basis. Plus if I knew it would most likely confuse me anyway, because God has this crazy irony thing going on in my life and not much makes sense any more (in a good wayy, most of the time it's funny in the end).:p

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
NO I would not want to know. I would however, like to know, when Jesus is coming back, even though I know we cannot know. That is the only future event that I would want to know in advance. Well there might be a few other "things" I would like to know, but even though I have this very analytical mind and I'm always trying (or used to try to) figure out WHY this happened, or maybe this happened because that's going to happen or whatever, but I've come to the conclusion that IF we knew, first off, whoever said we wouldn't need faith in God would be correct, and secondly, we would probably buck against whatever it was that was going to happen and we would be like "I'm not doing that!" So....IMO....better not to know and probably the reason we don't know. Remember even when Jesus told the disciples what was going to happen to Him, Peter was like NO WAY! and well....you know what happened with that so...

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It might be nice to know the details. In most cases, knowing should allow me to alter the outcome. In a way, I might become something of a moving target. I'd receive updates as to when and where death will supposedly happen, and change my plans accordingly.

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
It might be nice to know the details. In most cases, knowing should allow me to alter the outcome. In a way, I might become something of a moving target. I'd receive updates as to when and where death will supposedly happen, and change my plans accordingly.

Sounds good in theory but I don't think you could change your "appointed" time. My mom used to always say "it doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing, when it's your time, it's your time".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sounds good in theory but I don't think you could change your "appointed" time. My mom used to always say "it doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing, when it's your time, it's your time".

There I am, waiting in a hospital, surrounded by some of the best doctors and technicians I can find. Meanwhile, a baby grand breaks free from the cargo hold of a 1991 Airbus A320 flying 15,000 feet overhead, and drops right where I'm standing.

Upvote 0
E

Edwards1984

Thoughts?

No, unless it was like...soon.

BTW, anyone else ever hear about how in Japan there used to be a practice by doctors not to tell patients who had stomach cancer about their condition because it was believed telling a patient they had only so many months to live would cause more stress and make the condition worse? I wonder if part of that is relevant to this scenario.

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
No, unless it was like...soon.

BTW, anyone else ever hear about how in Japan there used to be a practice by doctors not to tell patients who had stomach cancer about their condition because it was believed telling a patient they had only so many months to live would cause more stress and make the condition worse? I wonder if part of that is relevant to this scenario.

Well that's one of the reasons I use Doctors only in emergencies, or if I think there is truly something wrong because my theory is that sometimes what you don't know won't hurt you. People in the old days didn't call for the Dr for every hang nail etc. and some of them lived with disease they never knew about.
Now like I said, if I think there really is something "not quite right" with me I DO go to the Dr because otherwise I will be on the internet trying to self diagnose which is way scarier, but I just don't go to the Dr all that often, is all I'm saying.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There I am, waiting in a hospital, surrounded by some of the best doctors and technicians I can find. Meanwhile, a baby grand breaks free from the cargo hold of a 1991 Airbus A320 flying 15,000 feet overhead, and drops right where I'm standing.

thats when you know you're having a bad day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
People were also mysteriously falling over dead at 40 years of age...

True but when my husband had cancer we asked the Dr how long did he have and the Dr said 3 months and he actually lived over a year, BUT we had that 3 months hanging over our heads and I think it actually affected how long HE thought he could make it so....

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, I wouldn't want to know. I believe there is a reason why our exact time of death is unknown to us. It's not for us to know the future, and I'm okay with that. Anyway, but again, for me personally...I wouldn't want to know.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,466.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The thought of dying terrifies me like nothing else because I don't believe anyone gets eternal salvation until the time of the Second Coming. So if I dont know what happens from the moment of death until that time, I certainly would never want to know when that period of completely uncertainty is going to happen. :|

Upvote 0