Way in the back, off to the left.
✟70,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Oooo...rather ominous title...but someone posed a fascinating question to me.

If you had the chance to find out the time, place and manner of your death, would you want to know?

I'll post my reply in a little while.

Thoughts?

L

Lord Of The Forest

No.

If I were to live long, I would have a tendency to slack off and then when my soul was required of me... What then? If I were to die young, I would be bitter.

I think it is for the best that the time appointed for us to leave this earth is unknown; it is for the best that we treat each day as if it were our last so we may reach the end of the day thinking, If I were to perish in the night, would I be satisfied with my usage of the time allotted me? Yes; Yes, I would.

Upvote 0

IamStefanie

Nov 8, 2011
Dallas, TX
✟8,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wow, but oddly enough I find this interesting because I've thought about it. Would I want to now when and how I'm going to die? The controlling part of me would want to know, but then I could see myself being on edge EVERY day. But, then I wouldn't have a need to trust God because I would know what is going to happen. So, I don't want to know. I've just live this thing and enjoy my days.

Upvote 0

PinkSweetart

Robots and rainbows, magic and mischief! ;)
Jan 27, 2008
:) <--- This smiley likes you.
✟34,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to say no, but somehow I think I'd be a bit curious if I had the option. I'd want to know so that I'd be able to use my time more wisely and do the things that I've been putting off. But that would be assuming I took knowing this information well. Chances are I'd be a total wreck if I know the exact place, time, and manner of my death. Hmm... something to think about. :mmh:

Upvote 0

Squeakers

Cat and music lover.
Dec 21, 2007
Way in the back, off to the left.
✟70,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
M'kay...here's my reply:

Squeakers said:
Part of me says yes...and part of me says no.

As to 'yes'; I'm one of those who likes to read the ending sometimes and then read how it comes about. I like to do that sometimes because the story to me isn't the end...it's the middle. Like a sandwich...bread, meats/cheese/whatever else, then bread again. It'd be rather fascinating to know when I'll leave this world, but even more exciting how I'll live it until that time.

As to 'no'; TBH, though it sounds fascinating, I could see myself freaking out...because if I know what's going to happen, human instinct'll probably kick in with 'I'll try and stop it no matter what!' and thus live in a state of paranoia until the said event happens ('cause of course I know it'll happen, despite all my efforts to stop it).

But now that I've read a few other answers, I have to say y'all have some very good points.

Upvote 0

Socktastic

we have sinned in thought, word and deed
Jan 21, 2012
Somewhere.
✟18,831.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
No. I have no interest in that, whether it comes in two months via croc attack or 30 years by heart attack it would not make a difference. Knowing just means i'd count down the days rather than simply knowing it is the end that awaits us all.

Upvote 0

Keri

Jan 1, 2006
✟51,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No. Knowing wouldn't change how I already live anyway.

That James Dean quote is something I've tried to live by.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Life as if you'll die today."

I guess this is where my passion stems from. I don't know if they'll be a tomorrow so I live, love and cherish passionately. Today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Dreamer

Apr 11, 2012
✟422.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes I wish I knew just so I could tell others, so they wouldn't feed me so much rubbish. Or, whoever the revealer is would reveal it to them.

I'd be like mom, I don't care about planning for the future, I only have this much time. Or, hey I'm gonna make it to 80, I don't care about .....whatever. If this makes sense.

Like, I don't care if it's tomorrow really. Life is a nightmare :D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Simply because you are to die on X date doesn't mean that you will survive stupid exploits unscathed.

For that matter, you'd probably be hospitalised for a good long time, and may die on the appointed date a quadriplegic.

FUN STUFF GUISE

I thought it was a far more interesting than the predictable "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], I don't want to know! eeeee!" posts, or the equally predictable "I want to know, for no other reason than to be opposite of the not-knowers"

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
Touma Rex said:
Yes. So I could do something really very radical and either 1) defy death with the radical thing, and thus have an awesome story or 2) Defy destiny

You're just going to end up causing your death trying to avoid it. :p

Anyway, I wouldn't want to know. It would probably just make me foolhardy and than panicky towards the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would be more interested in the manner of my death than the time.

if it were "painless" then I wouldn't care about the when.

If it were incredibly painful I would want to know when so I could plan to put myself on some MAJOR pain killers before.

Upvote 0