United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ah.

So he used Scripture as His Rule to come to the conclusion that Scripture should not be the Rule. I see. But if Scripture is NOT the Rule (as the RCC and LDS insist it is not), then how did he come to the right conclusion using the wrong Rule?

And if he placed himself as the arbiter for doctrinal truth to come to the conclusion that the correct arbiter is the RCC, then why should he conclude he made the right arbitration since he's the wrong arbiter?

If you wan to know this answer then you should talk to Dr Hahn about it not us. He loves to talk with protestants. Just go to one of his conferences and talk to him afteward. Or write him he will correspond with you. Just ask any of his students, some of whom a also did the same thing.

Then you coulod read his conversion story or listen to it. That is the easy way to know such things. Yes he did come to see that the Scripture teaches that it itself is not the sole sufficient rule of faith. He did by studying scripture and questioning his professors at his protestant seminary. You really need to contact him get this info from him and read his conversion story.

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That Scott Hahn sure is a good bible scholar!
It was good.

It is impossible for a good person to be saved, because the LORD Jesus Christ came only to save sinners.

Philippians 3:9
And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is impossible for a good person to be saved, because the LORD Jesus Christ came only to save sinners.

Philippians 3:9
And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Hey honey, were talking about Dr. Scott Hahn here. So lets stay on topic.

Good people also sin too. I am sure although scripture teaches that Barnabus is a good man that he still sinned and needed a savior.

After all our goodness comes from Jesus the ultimate and greatest good. We have become through him partakers of the divine nature(2 Peter 1:4)

I am sure Dr. Hahn would also say that. As he is a quite a good Bible scholar.

Have you read his books?

Amazon.com: Understanding The Scriptures: A Complete Course On Bible Study (The Didache Series) (9781890177478): Scott Hahn: Books

Reactions: TheCatholic
Upvote 0

TheCatholic

Sep 15, 2009
At the Vatican in spirit
✟1,083.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

First of all, that is ridiculous. Good people can't be saved? Rubbish.

Second, what has this got to do with Scott Hahn?

I am beginning to be amazed at how many people comment on so many threads and never address the information given in the beginning. Is this the norm here?

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, that is ridiculous. Good people can't be saved? Rubbish.
Nope;

1 Timothy 1:15
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Matthew 1:21
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Ezekiel 37:23
Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwellingplaces, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God.
Second, what has this got to do with Scott Hahn?
The knowledge of our religion and of the truth of things is independently manifest rather than in need of human teachers, for almost day by day it asserts itself by facts, and manifests itself brighter than the sun by the doctrine of Christ.

-Against the Heathen-Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria.

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nope;

1 Timothy 1:15
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Matthew 1:21
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Ezekiel 37:23
Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwellingplaces, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God.
The knowledge of our religion and of the truth of things is independently manifest rather than in need of human teachers, for almost day by day it asserts itself by facts, and manifests itself brighter than the sun by the doctrine of Christ.

-Against the Heathen-Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria.

I guess Barnabus, the good man full of the Holy Spirit was not saved?(Acts 11:24)

Again hey sweetie stick to the topic of Dr Scott Hahn please.

Perhaps you should read some of his books this may help with your understanding of scripture. Dr Hahn is sure a good man and great bible scholar.

Amazon.com: Understanding The Scriptures: A Complete Course On Bible Study (The Didache Series) (9781890177478): Scott Hahn: Books

Upvote 0

TheCatholic

Sep 15, 2009
At the Vatican in spirit
✟1,083.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I guess Barnabus, the good man full of the Holy Spirit was not saved?(Acts 11:24)

1. Barnabus is looking down and laughing at that one
  2. Yes, lets get back to Scott Hahn

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Josiah said:
Ah.

So he used Scripture as His Rule to come to the conclusion that Scripture should not be the Rule. I see. But if Scripture is NOT the Rule (as the RCC and LDS insist it is not), then how did he come to the right conclusion using the wrong Rule?

And if he placed himself as the arbiter for doctrinal truth to come to the conclusion that the correct arbiter is the RCC, then why should he conclude he made the right arbitration since he's the wrong arbiter?

If you wan to know this answer then you should talk to Dr Hahn about it not us.

It's a generic question that would apply to ANY convert from Protestantism....

Do you have an answer?

Seems to me the only possible answer is that his conclusion MUST be faulty - if not wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Originally Posted by TheCatholic
Ironic isn't it.

... and causes quite a problem.

The used the wrong thing to reach a conclusion he regards as true. The conclusion, AT BEST, must be faulty since the way he reached it was wrong and now rejected.

As Christians we know that the Bible is the written word of God.
And yet the Bible itself says there is more to what Jesus did than is written within its pages, and it tells us how Jesus chose men to lead his church.

Yes, the Gospel of St. John says Jesus DID some things not recorded in that singular Book. Jesus likely ate breakfast on Palm Sunday. John doesn't record that. Yup, I think John was probably right.

But that's a LONG WAY from someone reading in Scripture about all the things the RCC says are true that the Bible doesn't record. THAT seems to be a problem.....

EITHER he used something WRONG to come to a conclusion that he regards as RIGHT - leaving us wonder how wrong things lead to right conclusions, or he used something RIGHT that lead to a conclusion that it is WRONG, thus his conclusion is wrong. Either way: Houston, we've got a problem, he's gotta be wrong.

If one concludes from using Scripture that Scripture is not the right rule for coming to conclusions, then isn't his conclusion likely false? If one looks to self as the arbiter and concludes that self is not a reliable arbiter, then isn't his conclusion likely false?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

racer

Contributor
Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
✟24,729.00
Faith
Pentecostal

Perhaps you should read some of his books this may help with your understanding of scripture. Dr Hahn is sure a good man and great bible scholar.

I of all people know how much relief the use of sarcasm and snide remarks can bring when one becomes frustrated with the lines of reasoning often employed by those with whom I diasgree . . . however, you gentlemen are going a little too far with your "gender" remarks. I don't know if you are simply replying in kind to like remarks that may have been made to you, but, a line is being crossed here. We need to check ourselves and realize comments relating to ones gender or age are even further off topic than some of the comments to which you guys are objecting . . . :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeena
Upvote 0

racer

Contributor
Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
✟24,729.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Did anyone watch the video?
I have no desire to watch Mr. Hahn, if you have someone more digestible than he is, I will consider watching them. I just can not take Mr. Hahn . . . I would watch a hate-mongering anti-Protestant before I would watch him. Do you have anymore videos of someone other than Hahn?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeena
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.