Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do Protestants convert to Catholicism? If you’ve watched even a few episodes of Marcus Grodi’s “Journey Home” on EWTN, or read conversion stories from the likes of Scott Hahn, Francis Beckwith, Thomas Howard, Fr. Dwight Longenecker, or Paul Thigpen (among many others), you’ll know the answer is: for lots of reasons. Prominent Protestant thinkers Brad Littlejohn and Chris Castaldo distill all of them down to three in their new, 100-page book Why Do Protestants Convert?

The results, as one might expect given the complexity of the subject matter, are curious.

At one level, I’m not certain that I understand the purpose of the book. In the foreword, eminent Presbyterian scholar Carl Trueman says the short volume explores the phenomenon of Protestant-to-Catholic conversion “and offers thoughtful answers to anyone perplexed by the attractions of Rome to a generation of Protestant intellectuals.” So is this—with a chapter titled “The Sociology of Conversion”—supposed to be a dispassionate sociological study, perhaps similar to Stephen Bullivant’s illuminating book Nonverts? Not exactly. The authors are, after all, avowed Protestants who want to deter Protestants from converting.

The first chapter, alternatively, discusses the “psychology of conversion,” also suggesting a neutral and scientific approach to conversion, the authors emphasizing: “Our point is not to discredit conversion narratives as at bottom irrational, or to dismissively ‘psychologize’ any individual’s conversion to Rome.” Yet in the Afterword, Littlejohn writes:

Continued below.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you did a survey of Protestants who convert to the Catholic Church, you'd probably get as many different reasons as there are converts.

Some obviously did so because of a thorough search through church history and doctrines. Public names like Cardinal Newman and Scott Hahn (probably the best known in modern times) come to mind in that category. There's a (married) Deacon who works in our Catholic HO in Brisbane who comes from that mould - a former Protestant pastor (I don't know what denomination) but he definitely did a search on those lines.

But that wasn't my experience and it most likely isn't the experience of many others.

I doubt if any Protestant convert makes the decision lightly. It usually costs a bit too, even if it's just putting a distance between us and our former Protestant colleagues.

Upvote 0