USA
✟10,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
i'm glad you mentioned Aquilina. I had a catholic friend in met in a different forum. He sent me three (3) books, 1 by Hahn, 1 by Karl Keating and 1 by Aquilina.

Hah, too syrupy and please don't be so harsh with the Protestants . . . they just don't understand, blah, blah, blah---yuck~ Keating, rude, obnoixious and beligerent-that is regarding Protestantism. However, Aquilina was very tolerable, scholarly and not the least bit insulting. I had no trouble digesting his book--even though I still disagree with much of Catholic doctrine. :)
It's hard to find good Protestant books. They can be sin centered or give you a formula for your problems. I do know of a great commentary series called "Twenty-First Century Biblical Commentary Series" It's not boring, and you learn alot of interesting thing. I've read their commentaries on the Gospels.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Originally Posted by PassthePeace1
Actually, it's pretty simple....

Good, then explain the following to me:

Please explain how one uses Scripture as the norma normans comes to a conclusion from that that Scripture must not be used as the norma normans? Does't his conclusion invalidate the very thing that lead him to that conclusion - thus indicating the conclusion likely false? And how does one regard the RCC as accountable so as to investigate it and doing thus conclude that the RCC is not accountable but rather infallible? Isn't the conclusion arrived at by something that is wrong, thus the conclusion is? And how can one assume the role of arbiter to determine the correctness of the RCC lead one to conclude that he is not an arbiter and thus his arbitration is wrong? One uses the very things one affirms as WRONG to conclude something is RIGHT. Either the conclusion is faulty OR the process is right and he/she cannot be Catholic. Either way, the conclusion is faulty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
How does all that pertian to Scott Hahn's journey to Catholicism?

Since I don't know HOW he came to his conclusions, I'm addressing the question generically. I'm wondering how ANYONE "converts to" Catholicism? Particularly, a Protestant:

Please explain how one uses Scripture as the norma normans comes to a conclusion from that that Scripture must not be used as the norma normans? Does't his conclusion invalidate the very thing that lead him to that conclusion - thus indicating the conclusion likely false? And how does one regard the RCC as accountable so as to investigate it and doing thus conclude that the RCC is not accountable but rather infallible? Isn't the conclusion arrived at by something that is wrong, thus the conclusion likely is wrong? And how can one assume the role of arbiter to determine the correctness of the RCC lead one to conclude that he is not an arbiter and thus his arbitration is wrong? One uses the very things one affirms as WRONG to conclude something is RIGHT. Either the conclusion is faulty OR the process is right and he/she cannot be Catholic. Either way, the conclusion is faulty at best.

Upvote 0

TheCatholic

Sep 15, 2009
At the Vatican in spirit
✟1,083.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Since I don't know HOW he came to his conclusions, I'm addressing the question generically

Did you watch the video? If not then maybe thats the reason you don't know how he came to his conclusions

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Please explain how one uses Scripture as the norma normans comes to a conclusion from that that Scripture must not be used as the norma normans? Does't his conclusion invalidate the very thing that lead him to that conclusion - thus indicating the conclusion likely false? And how does one regard the RCC as accountable so as to investigate it and doing thus conclude that the RCC is not accountable but rather infallible? Isn't the conclusion arrived at by something that is wrong, thus the conclusion likely is wrong? And how can one assume the role of arbiter to determine the correctness of the RCC lead one to conclude that he is not an arbiter and thus his arbitration is wrong? One uses the very things one affirms as WRONG to conclude something is RIGHT. Either the conclusion is faulty OR the process is right and he/she cannot be Catholic. Logically, either way, the conclusion is faulty at best.

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did you watch the video? If not then maybe thats the reason you don't know how he came to his conclusions

good point. Hahn came to his conclusions from his study of the bible and his reading of many Catholic books that seemed to him to makes biblical sense. He also looked to the Fathers of the Church. But his main reasons were scriptural as his book and tapes on his conversion story metion. Perhaps Josiah needs to read "Rome sweet home"
Amazon.com: Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism (9780898704785): Scott Hahn, Kimberly Hahn: Books

then he'll know how Dr Hahn came to his conclusions.

But most likely Josiah just want to fight and not really listen to Hahn s story so this is useless.

Reactions: TheCatholic
Upvote 0

TheCatholic

Sep 15, 2009
At the Vatican in spirit
✟1,083.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Please explain how one uses Scripture as the norma normans comes to a conclusion from that that Scripture must not be used as the norma normans?

I don't know any Normans, and I don't know anyone named Norma.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
good point. Hahn came to his conclusions from his study of the bible and his reading of many Catholic books that seemed to him to makes biblical sense.

Ah.

So he used Scripture as His Rule to come to the conclusion that Scripture should not be the Rule. I see. But if Scripture is NOT the Rule (as the RCC and LDS insist it is not), then how did he come to the right conclusion using the wrong Rule?

And if he placed himself as the arbiter for doctrinal truth to come to the conclusion that the correct arbiter is the RCC, then why should he conclude he made the right arbitration since he's the wrong arbiter?

Upvote 0

TheCatholic

Sep 15, 2009
At the Vatican in spirit
✟1,083.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ah.

So he used Scripture as His Rule to come to the conclusion that Scripture should not be the Rule.

Ironic isn't it.
As Christians we know that the Bible is the written word of God.
And yet the Bible itself says there is more to what Jesus did than is written within its pages, and it tells us how Jesus chose men to lead his church.

So in a certian way you are actually somewhat correct.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ironic isn't it.
As Christians we know that the Bible is the written word of God.
And yet the Bible itself says there is more to what Jesus did than is written within its pages, and it tells us how Jesus chose men to lead his church.

So in a certian way you are actually somewhat correct.
Sounds a little ambiguous to me :) :wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.