Carlisle, Pennsylvania
✟15,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Another pproblem with the churches today, to many are willing to take what is said in the pulpit as fact without searching the Scriptures to verify what is being taught in the pulpit. I advocate the searching of scriptures as those of Thessalonica who searched the scriptures to verify the teachings of the apostle Paul who was instructed by Christ Himself. If any come and forbid or frown on thelaity searching the Scriptures, that person needs to be shunned for he must have something to hide.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Another pproblem with the churches today, to many are willing to take what is said in the pulpit as fact without searching the Scriptures to verify what is being taught in the pulpit. I advocate the searching of scriptures as those of Thessalonica who searched the scriptures to verify the teachings of the apostle Paul who was instructed by Christ Himself. If any come and forbid or frown on thelaity searching the Scriptures, that person needs to be shunned for he must have something to hide.

Berea ?

Upvote 0
B

Blaine01

I’m sorry the correct reference is Exodus 21:10 not numbers where Moses states if a man takes another wife is not to neglect the first wife. You need to do a little research into Corinthians and the issues Paul was addressing. Those folks were into all kinds of things including homosexuality that is clearly a serious sins.

In essence what you are saying is that only certain Mosaic laws applied and others didn’t. I didn’t know we could pick the ones we like and abolish the ones we don’t. Jesus said not one letter of the law would pass away.

You must remember Paul had previously been a Pharisee and been educated in the Jewish laws and customs and it shows in many of his letters. Paul also said “all things are permissible but not all things are profitable” now shall we take that out of context and run with it.

I think the issue regarding polygamy needs to be dropped, it could well give someone the idea that it is an acceptable life style, in certain countries it still is. Here in the US it is against the law and Jesus said we are to submit to those in authority over us. So from that stand point it is wrong, and the very least a very bad idea.

As for those seeking full time ministry, I think they at least should have a good biblical education, come into the ministry under a pastor of a good bible teaching church and remain there for some time. There are so many pitfalls a young or inexperienced pastor can fall into without proper guidance.

We can split hairs over doctrinal or theological issues forever and that is one of the things that have caused so much division within the body of Christ. I still like what Wesley said “Love the lord your God with all your heart, and love others as yourself, all the rest is just commentary”

As for colleges, there are some very good ones, I think Liberty is one of my favorites now.

Upvote 0

1pastor

Jun 25, 2011
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
✟15,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The reference in Ex. is due to the fact that God Knew the hearts of men and knew that they were going to practice polygamy any way, so He made provision for it. I agree with you about Paul addressing te various sins in the church-including homosexuality; however, polygamy was also addressed; compare Scripture with Scripture- Paul writes about the pastorate- The Bishop must be blameless, the husband of one wife; also, when Christ refers to man leaving his father and mother and cleave unto his wife- the original language is singular not plural. Polygamy is never a practice God intended for man. The practice of polygamy is a practice devised to treat women as objects of possession-as african, south american, and middle eastern nations and mormons view it. To use the excuse that everyone else is doing it still doesn't mean God intended for it to be.

Upvote 0
B

Blaine01

so He made provision for it.
You are correct; he allowed it, meaning it isn’t a sin. I totally agree that Gods purpose was for one wife; however history has proven that we humans seem incapable of living by God’s perfect plan for our lives. That is why our salvation is based solely on God’s grace and His son Jesus Christ, without Jesus we are all lost because we all fall short of His perfect will and law.

Upvote 0

1pastor

Jun 25, 2011
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
✟15,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just because He allowed it doesn't mean God endorsed or ordained it to be so; he allowed divorce-but did not approve of it. The whole problem with the church today is we tend to be spending more time dwelling on whether God allowed this or that when God did not intend for it from the beginning; we nrrd to worry why we don't spend this energy and time trying to reach the lost for Chritst or trying to better instruct the christians on how to live a life dedicated to Christ.

Upvote 0
B

Blaine01

why we don't spend this energy and time trying to reach the lost for Chritst or trying to better instruct the christians on how to live a life dedicated to Christ.

Amen brother, wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could walk in perfect submission to the leadership of the Holy Spirit all the time. But as Paul said out battle is not against the flesh, but it truly is a spiritual battle.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Been a non-denom pastor for 35 years. Our church has those seeking ordination write the elders explaining their call. We (the elders) meet with the person and examine his calling and knowledge of Scripture and walk with the Lord. We pray with the person and we then ordain the person if we affirm the person's calling by the Lord. Our role is that of confirmation.

I have an ordination counsel this month for a young man who is quite obviously called of the Lord. We who have watched him grow in Christ have seen the Lord directing him to seminary and ultimately to missions in China.

Who chooses the elders? How does the elders become elders who chooses whom can be ordained?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who chooses the elders? How does the elders become elders who chooses whom can be ordained?

In our church, the elders appoint new elders but each year all elders are confirmed by a vote of the congregation. An elder must receive an affirmative vote from 80% of the congregation to remain an elder.

Upvote 0

kocarkacirx

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
✟15,121.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I was in an independent "nondenom" church for several years. The pastor was ordained by the SBC...and had been a Baptist pastor for 30 something years before starting this church. I recall him ordaining several people during the time I was there.

In another church I attended, the pastor had been on the staff of a well known evangelist, and received his licence and ordination through that ministry. Where the evangelist got his ordination, I do not know.

I would think that if you follow the line backwards, somewhere, somebody was affiliated with a denomination, as with these cases.

Of course, true ordination comes from God, and piece of paper is just that. There have been and still are many churches that are pastored by God led people that don't have a piece of paper

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian

I would think that if you follow the line backwards, somewhere, somebody was affiliated with a denomination, as with these cases.
...r
Following lines is somewhat like boasting about where the minister got credits or qualifications to preach.

I'll take ordination by God any day.

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know some posts already discuss this exact issue. But can someone please explain to me how someone becomes ordained as a non denominational pastor? If they don't belong to the SBC, Lutheran, etc. Who ordains them? I mean I only know of Calvary Chapel who actually has a "organization". Are some of these non denominational churches ran by pastors who techincally aren't ordained? Just confused about the issue! Thanks

Bronco,

The Calvary network has regional senior pastors who handle ordination of young men coming up in the ministry. You would, of course, have to be in harmony with the Calvary distinctives if you're going to hang the name Calvary Chapel on your door. A lot of the pastors & congragations in the network DON'T use the name Calvary Chapel because they want their own "flavor" but remain in the network for accountability reasons.

Also, are you currently leading a "congragation? Does this congragation have "elders?" If the elders take a piece of paper and write "We ordane Fred" and they all sign it, then guess what? You're an ordained non-denominational minister.

The problem with doing it that way is the same guys can get another piece of paper and write "We don't like Fred anymore." Then you're NOT ordained again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Speaking from my own experience in the Calvary network it is, to be honest, a shell game.

The pastor apoints the elders.

The elders ordain the pastor.

Chuck tells a story about a Korean guy who had a wonderful, but small, Korean language ministry in LA. The fellowship was small, but commited. The pastor was hesitent to formailze anything because the congragation couldn't pay him so he still had to work full time in addition to running the ministry.

Chuck told him to appoint elders and have them ordain him. He did, and they did.

A week later the elders went to the pastor and told him that they didn't feel it was right that he work full time in addition to being the pastor. They told him to resign his job and serve the church full time, at no pay, and if he didn't then they were going to revoke his ordination.

The man was heart broken, and called Chuck asking him what to do. Chuck's answer - "Fire the board and appoint new elders."

Upvote 0

1pastor

Jun 25, 2011
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
✟15,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In regards to ordination: If a person demonstrates a good working knowledge of the Scriptures and shows a strong desire to serve God then let the church set a time to examine him and if felt led to, ordain him- as per qualifications laid down within the Scriptures. Whether he works full time and pastors or pastor's only is irrelevant. There is no need of institutions or denominations to back the person being ordained or the preachers and deacons ordained in the Bible could not have been legitimately been ordained.

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In a very "nuts and bolts" sense, the only reason to seek out formal "on paper" ordination is to assist when it comes time to interface with the government. That means:

performing weddings
ministering in prison
doing any kind of chaplaincy like with a police department

Other than that, the only thing paper ordination gets you is the ability to function as a local church pastor in an organized denomination. And if you're operating inside a non-denomination then you don't even need that.

Upvote 0