Could there be a sort of middle ground in the "married priest" issue?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There was an interesting conversation about it on Reddit the other day. Essentially people seemed to be more or less in agreement that ordaining married men may be alright since that's essentially what the practice looks like in the Eastern Churches and the Anglican Ordinariate, but it was a "hard no" on marrying already-ordained priests (which is also the practice in those respective parts of the Church).

I started thinking about what that would mean for the families of married men who entered the priesthood. Would it be like the diaconate where most dioceses prefer to ordain men whose kids are grown and therefore he has fewer personal and financial responsibilities or would it be like Anglican and Orthodox priests where men who are married and still raising children would be ordained too?

If it were the latter case I wonder whether the Church would consider some kind of middle ground where the married priests perhaps have a smaller range of responsibilities than their celibate counterparts just because they may need to also have a day job to support their families (like deacons). So they're almost like halfway between a deacon and a celibate priest.

I had been thinking about it a lot lately and I would be interested in considering the priesthood if it were opened up to married men if my responsibilities mostly focused on sharing the Mass and Confession schedule with the pastor of the parish. But when it came to things like going to hospitals and prisons and homeless shelters perhaps that still be left to the celibate priests.

I know, it sounds kind of preposterous to put it that way because laymen can't dictate the terms of the priesthood but I wonder whether the Church can and would make a prudential judgment in the interest of addressing the vocation shortage and giving existing priests a bit of relief by having more priests to say Mass and hear Confessions? It seems like if things were applied to married priests the same way as they are for celibate priests, you may still not get too many takers because the life of a celibate priest isn't really conducive to family life.

It's such a complex issue though. It seems like there's no way the Church would do that, but then I often think about the odd priest who seems to be allowed a different set of responsibilities because maybe they're an instructor at a university or a prolific author or they have a social media presence that they curate as a ministry and it at least seems like they're allowed those pursuits in lieu of a more traditional ministry.

Does that make sense?

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not opposed to married priests, but at the same time, I realize the priesthood is a huge responsibility that takes a huge amount of time out of someone's schedule. Most priests work 60-70 hours per week. I do not know how this "compromise" would work out.

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm worried that if we allow married priests, the Catholic churches will start becoming like Evangelical ones and make an idol out of marriage and no longer revere the past saints who devoted their lives to God instead of getting married. I think that singles can still feel out of place in Catholic churches but at least there is some room in the Church for respecting those who stay single to devote themselves to God. In the Protestant world where it's "not natural to be celibate," I don't feel like there is as much respect for a single (marital status) person.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, if I recall can men who are converts who are already married become Priests in the RCC, or do they have to have been clergy before in their Protestant denominations such as Lutheran, Anglican,etc?
Years ago I read Federica Matthews Green "Facing East." They were Anglicans and her husband a priest. They briefly considered the RCC as her husband would be able to become a priest under certain conditions but then they decided against it and became Orthodox, where he is a priest.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm worried that if we allow married priests, the Catholic churches will start becoming like Evangelical ones and make an idol out of marriage and no longer revere the past saints who devoted their lives to God instead of getting married. I think that singles can still feel out of place in Catholic churches but at least there is some room in the Church for respecting those who stay single to devote themselves to God. In the Protestant world where it's "not natural to be celibate," I don't feel like there is as much respect for a single (marital status) person.
Well said :)

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, if I recall can men who are converts who are already married become Priests in the RCC, or do they have to have been clergy before in their Protestant denominations such as Lutheran, Anglican,etc?
Years ago I read Federica Matthews Green "Facing East." They were Anglicans and her husband a priest. They briefly considered the RCC as her husband would be able to become a priest under certain conditions but then they decided against it and became Orthodox, where he is a priest.
For Anglicans, married members of the clergy were accepted as Catholic priests. The idea behind single priests is that marriage would be a distraction from serving as a priest, it would take up too much of their time.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
As far as I know, that's only for the Anglican Ordinariate and in the Eastern Churches, but not in the Latin Church.

• Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
As far as I know, that's only for the Anglican Ordinariate and in the Eastern Churches, but not in the Latin Church.
There some in the Latin church. I won’t share exact details, but I know of a priest that has a son who is also a priest, in the Latin church.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There some in the Latin church. I won’t share exact details, but I know of a priest that has a son who is also a priest, in the Latin church.
Was he a widower? I know of several of those.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's true, there were some dispensations granted here and there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If it were the latter case I wonder whether the Church would consider some kind of middle ground where the married priests perhaps have a smaller range of responsibilities than their celibate counterparts just because they may need to also have a day job to support their families (like deacons). So they're almost like halfway between a deacon and a celibate priest.
This would occur one way or another, and it seems to me that it is so natural as to not need any law or implementation. For example, a man who must support small children will have different duties than a celibate man, and if he is responsible then he will be mindful of these duties in approaching any job or vocation he enters into. In other words, responsible men would say, "Hey, I am willing to be ordained, but I can't be expected to bear the workload of a celibate given my familial duties." Any church which allows married clergy must respect this factual difference, at least to one extent or another. To fail to do so would be to fail to recognize that the married man has duties that the celibate does not. A practical instance of this is the practice in the East where only celibates can be ordained to the episcopacy.

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0