Lincoln, NE
✟7,616.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know some posts already discuss this exact issue. But can someone please explain to me how someone becomes ordained as a non denominational pastor? If they don't belong to the SBC, Lutheran, etc. Who ordains them? I mean I only know of Calvary Chapel who actually has a "organization". Are some of these non denominational churches ran by pastors who techincally aren't ordained? Just confused about the issue! Thanks

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was in an independent "nondenom" church for several years. The pastor was ordained by the SBC...and had been a Baptist pastor for 30 something years before starting this church. I recall him ordaining several people during the time I was there.

In another church I attended, the pastor had been on the staff of a well known evangelist, and received his licence and ordination through that ministry. Where the evangelist got his ordination, I do not know.

I would think that if you follow the line backwards, somewhere, somebody was affiliated with a denomination, as with these cases.

Of course, true ordination comes from God, and piece of paper is just that. There have been and still are many churches that are pastored by God led people that don't have a piece of paper. :)

Upvote 0

lovinggod1111

Apr 19, 2011
USA
✟15,131.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I have been researching various places to be ordained through. I still haven't come to a solid decision about any of them. I agree with the above statements that it's just a piece of paper and God is the true one to ordain. My question is, what organization did you go through to get ordained? I know many states require the right paperwork. Thanks.

Upvote 0
May 14, 2011
✟7,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Strong's:
διατάσσω (Ordain) - to arrange thoroughly, that is, (specifically) institute, prescribe, etc.: - appoint, command, give, (set in) order, ordain.

Found twice in the new testament:
1 Cor 7:17 it is used as an action. "And so ordain I in all the churches", can be taken to mean "And so I order in all the churches".

1 Cor 9:14 is again, used in the context of a verb, not an adjective. God is commanding something.

The question, from a non denominational view, is made very clear when no denominations are taken into consideration, and just the word of God is considered. The question you are asking, is "How is a pastor ordained", or "How is a pastor commanded", or "Who ordains a pastor", or "Who commands a pastor". A 'pastor' or 'elder' or 'bishop', or whatever you wish to call the position, was prescribed by the 1st century Church in the writings in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

spiritual warrior

May 27, 2011
Travelling from here to glory...what a ride!
✟489.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know some posts already discuss this exact issue. But can someone please explain to me how someone becomes ordained as a non denominational pastor? If they don't belong to the SBC, Lutheran, etc. Who ordains them? I mean I only know of Calvary Chapel who actually has a "organization". Are some of these non denominational churches ran by pastors who techincally aren't ordained? Just confused about the issue! Thanks

I agree with most of what the others have said, and this is my experience.

I was raised in a Pentecostal Church of God (sister organization of the Assemblies of God). While in the organization, at four different times by different visiting evangelists, every time I went up for prayer the speaker would put their hand upon me to pray, stop for a moment, then pull their hands off me and tell me that God had called me into the ministry.

Later, after studying the Word of God for myself, weighing in the balance things taught to me through the PCOG, I felt that I could not remain associated with them because the truth is more important than anything else...people don't get saved by listening to false doctrine, they only produce people who think they are christians but are not. So I left the PCOG and, because people like to see paper as "evidence," I sought ordination through a reputable organization that wanted to know my qualifications and experience.

To me, (I am non-denominational) it is just a piece of paper. God called me and confirmed that calling several times for my sake, and for those who heard around me (I believe).

It is sad today that many of our pulpits in this country are filled by people who only have paper...and who were never called nor ordained by God. This is the reason why I believe so much false doctrine is spread throughout the church in this country today (America), because we have people who may well have been trained in seminaries as ministers, but if they are void of God's call, they have no business preaching or teaching as pastors. I am not saying that they cannot have God's Spirit and be able to do such things, but i believe there is a warning in scripture that God calls those who He wants to be His messengers, and they have a special anointing for the task where others (those who have not been called by Him) do not have.

Sorry, I rambled...

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2009
Maine USA
✟7,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God has ordained me to be an intercessor, healer, exorcist, evangelist, discipler, writer, etc. The last fellow I followed up from scratch is now a pastor of a non-denominational church in North Dakota -- only ordained by God.

Hi Timuchin, I would like to become a Methodist minister does it cost allot And how did your friend get a church to be a pastor in? Are there empty churches that need filling? Thank you!:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Been a non-denom pastor for 35 years. Our church has those seeking ordination write the elders explaining their call. We (the elders) meet with the person and examine his calling and knowledge of Scripture and walk with the Lord. We pray with the person and we then ordain the person if we affirm the person's calling by the Lord. Our role is that of confirmation.

I have an ordination counsel this month for a young man who is quite obviously called of the Lord. We who have watched him grow in Christ have seen the Lord directing him to seminary and ultimately to missions in China.

Upvote 0

Pastor Power

Aug 8, 2011
✟7,612.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree with most of what the others have said, and this is my experience.

I was raised in a Pentecostal Church of God (sister organization of the Assemblies of God). While in the organization, at four different times by different visiting evangelists, every time I went up for prayer the speaker would put their hand upon me to pray, stop for a moment, then pull their hands off me and tell me that God had called me into the ministry.

Later, after studying the Word of God for myself, weighing in the balance things taught to me through the PCOG, I felt that I could not remain associated with them because the truth is more important than anything else...people don't get saved by listening to false doctrine, they only produce people who think they are christians but are not. So I left the PCOG and, because people like to see paper as "evidence," I sought ordination through a reputable organization that wanted to know my qualifications and experience.

To me, (I am non-denominational) it is just a piece of paper. God called me and confirmed that calling several times for my sake, and for those who heard around me (I believe).

It is sad today that many of our pulpits in this country are filled by people who only have paper...and who were never called nor ordained by God. This is the reason why I believe so much false doctrine is spread throughout the church in this country today (America), because we have people who may well have been trained in seminaries as ministers, but if they are void of God's call, they have no business preaching or teaching as pastors. I am not saying that they cannot have God's Spirit and be able to do such things, but i believe there is a warning in scripture that God calls those who He wants to be His messengers, and they have a special anointing for the task where others (those who have not been called by Him) do not have.

Sorry, I rambled...

Are you ordained??? if so by wat orginization?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree, the ordination certificate is just a piece of paper required by man's law in order to perform certain rituals; the real ordination comes from God above and does not check denominational affiliations before doing so.

I agree with this. There is a secondary role of ordination. It is a witness to the public that other confirm that an individual's call from God (which is invisible) has demonstrated credibility.

This Fall I have served on two ordination counsel that ordained two men. We have observed these two men, their walk with God and their ministries and its fruits. In ordaining them we conveyed NO gift, we recognized a gift conferred by God.

The piece of paper means nothing. However, I will not sign an ordination where I have not observed the man and his ministry. My signature on the piece of paper is a human assessment but not an uninformed one.

Upvote 0