Is it possible for a sinner who has a "666" tattoo to get saved?

Brother Chris

Jan 12, 2011
✟8,852.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, theoretical question here: Let's say we have a criminal who receives a 666 tattoo on his forehead or right hand when he's in prison. However, later on in life they regret it and have it removed. Is it possible for that person to get saved or no?

Yes, if they repent of their sins and believe and trust in Jesus Christ as their only hope of salvation. All who call on the name of the Lord, shall be saved.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would have been far more dogmatic about this 30 or 35 years ago ..

Strong in Him:
PS:
Specifically, tattooed Christian women are not so unusual now, as well. I'm sure you concur with this observation (compared with 30-35 years ago).

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Mistakes like obtaining tattoos do not preclude salvation if repented.

However Canon I of the Council of Nicea does prohibit a man who has castrated himself from being ordained to the priesthood, on the grounds of being a self murderer.

Upvote 0

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
Ok, theoretical question here: Let's say we have a criminal who receives a 666 tattoo on his forehead or right hand when he's in prison. However, later on in life they regret it and have it removed. Is it possible for that person to get saved or no?
They can be saved and never have it removed.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mistakes like obtaining tattoos do not preclude salvation if repented.

However Canon I of the Council of Nicea does prohibit a man who has castrated himself from being ordained to the priesthood, on the grounds of being a self murderer.
I'm not sure what this proves, either about castration or the so called priesthood.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But some may do it for a good reason - to bear witness, as you said.
Strong in Him: It does work, anyway; did I tell you about the young lady that my wife and I talked to who had the wording of John 3.16 on her wrist area?

Blessings.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'm not sure what this proves, either about castration or the so called priesthood.

Simply that bodily mutilation is wrong. Note that the Orthodox do not deny the sacerdotal priesthood of all believers, when we use the word priest, we mean presbyter, the word we still use in Greek, which means Elder. Priest is the English derivative of it, which unfortunately was also used to translate sacerdos. However all Christians are members of a royal priesthood in the sacerdotal sense; the presbyters, or elders, are the leaders of this priesthood under the authority of the Bishop, or Episkopos, meaning Superintendent.

I have always felt the Roman Catholic texts that directly equate the Catholic priesthood with the hereditary sacerdotal caste in Judaism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Mandaeism, Yazidism, and other ancient religions, on the basis of the idea of the priest as an officiator, to be a bit of a distortion. The Royal priesthood of all believers in Orthodoxy is affirmed by the fact that any,Christian can baptize someone in danger of death in an emergency; thus the most sacred sacrament of initiation can be administered in dire need by any Christians. The elders simply specialize in it, and are also given the task of conducting the divine services, receiving legitmacy through the sacrament of ordination, which confers apostolic succession (and indeed prior to our Lord's incarnation, Jewish judges of the law, or rabbis, were also ordained in the same manner, through the laying on of hands.)

However we are a bit off topic.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Simply that bodily mutilation is wrong. Note that the Orthodox do not deny the sacerdotal priesthood of all believers, when we use the word priest, we mean presbyter, the word we still use in Greek, which means Elder. Priest is the English derivative of it, which unfortunately was also used to translate sacerdos. However all Christians are members of a royal priesthood in the sacerdotal sense; the presbyters, or elders, are the leaders of this priesthood under the authority of the Bishop, or Episkopos, meaning Superintendent.

I have always felt the Roman Catholic texts that directly equate the Catholic priesthood with the hereditary sacerdotal caste in Judaism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Mandaeism, Yazidism, and other ancient religions, on the basis of the idea of the priest as an officiator, to be a bit of a distortion. The Royal priesthood of all believers in Orthodoxy is affirmed by the fact that any,Christian can baptize someone in danger of death in an emergency; thus the most sacred sacrament of initiation can be administered in dire need by any Christians. The elders simply specialize in it, and are also given the task of conducting the divine services, receiving legitmacy through the sacrament of ordination, which confers apostolic succession (and indeed prior to our Lord's incarnation, Jewish judges of the law, or rabbis, were also ordained in the same manner, through the laying on of hands.)

However we are a bit off topic.
I was thinking of Hebrews 7.12, which makes it clear that the Old Testament priesthood was changed. And of Hebrews 4.14, which makes it clear that the believer's great high priest is now passed into the heavens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I was thinking of Hebrews 7.12, which makes it clear that the Old Testament priesthood was changed. And of Hebrews 4.14, which makes it clear that the believer's great high priest is now passed into the heavens.

But the word actually being translated as priest is sacerdos. Priest however is a transliteration of Presbyteros, Latinized as Presbyter, which is the formal Greek title used by Greek Orthodox priests, and means elder. Thus all Christians are sacerdos, but not all are Presbyteros.

To switch to Hebrew, all Christians are a royal body of Kohanim. Christ alone however is the great Kohen Gadol. However in ancient Judaism, not all Kohanim were qualified to, or actively served in, the Temple. In fact based on the large numbers of Jews today who are descended from the Levirate priesthood (they usually have a last name like Cohen, although this name does not prove that they are Halakhically Kohanim, or sons of Aaron), we can extrapolate that in the time of our Lord many, even most Kohanim did not serve in the Temple permanently. However they nonetheless enjoyed special privileges on account of their hereditary status as members of the priesthood, including entitlement to first fruits of the harvest, since they had no tribal land, if memory serves, and also portions of the sacrifices, and so on. They benefitted from a degree of social stability, dignity and prosperity that exceeded that of the Levites, and further exceeded that of the ordinary Jews.

So what the author of Hebrews (traditionally thought to be Paul) meant was that as Christians we are all members of a royal sacerdotal caste. However, only a minority of elders, or presbyters, actually serve in the Temple (as we Orthodox call our churches formally), under the direction of Bishops, or superintendents, who represent and are accountable to the High Priest.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PS: Strong in Him:

Did you ever visit a parlor over there over the Pond? (non committally, of course). They can vary in quality still.

Blessings.

No, sorry.
A tattoo parlour has recently opened close to where I do voluntary work, (it's right next to a church!) But I don't want a tattoo so I won't be checking it out.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
k

Yes without a doubt - the number is not the sin. I have VIN number with 666 some place in it on my car

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, sorry.
A tattoo parlour has recently opened close to where I do voluntary work, (it's right next to a church!) But I don't want a tattoo so I won't be checking it out.
Strong in Him: Oh okay.

So you mean that none of the Christians from the church get tattooed? :)

I guess over here in North America a lot of Christians do get tattooed, anyway.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Strong in Him: Oh okay.

So you mean that none of the Christians from the church get tattooed? :)

I don't know, they might do. But the parlour's been there less than a year; the Church has been there for a couple of hundred - at least.

It's not my church, though we have had church members with tattoos, and I've never known anyone object.

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
✟1,657.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status

Looks like you are equating the number 666 to the mark of the beast.

So, starting there, I'd say yes. Get the tattoos removed or blacked out.

Rom 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Rom 10:13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Upvote 0

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
Looks like you are equating the number 666 to the mark of the beast.

So, starting there, I'd say yes. Get the tattoos removed or blacked out.

Rom 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Rom 10:13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
Where's the verse that says to remove the tattoo or you won't be saved?

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
✟1,657.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Where's the verse that says to remove the tattoo or you won't be saved?

I said, " Looks like you are equating the number 666 to the mark of the beast. So, starting there, I'd say yes. Get the tattoos removed or blacked out."

Da verse(s)?

How about: Rev 14:9-11

A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: “If anyone worships
the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their
hand, they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured
full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning
sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. And the smoke
of their torment will rise for ever and ever. There will be no rest day or night
for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives
the mark of its name.

I'd get rid of the <Staff Edit> thing; wouldn't you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0