Is it possible for a sinner who has a "666" tattoo to get saved?

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, theoretical question here: Let's say we have a criminal who receives a 666 tattoo on his forehead or right hand when he's in prison. However, later on in life they regret it and have it removed. Is it possible for that person to get saved or no?

Yes, of course it is.

666 is just a number - it doesn't necessarily prove blasphemous/occultic intent. If they are truly sorry for their crimes and have begun to think about God and heaven, I'd say that's a fair indication that the Spirit might already be drawing them to God.
I've read testimonies from people who had been in prison/hooked on drugs/into the occult who are now believers - and maybe Ministers too.
Nothing is too hard for God.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, of course it is.

666 is just a number - it doesn't necessarily prove blasphemous/occultic intent. If they are truly sorry for their crimes and have begun to think about God and heaven, I'd say that's a fair indication that the Spirit might already be drawing them to God.
I've read testimonies from people who had been in prison/hooked on drugs/into the occult who are now believers - and maybe Ministers too.
Nothing is too hard for God.
Strong in Him: Hi there. You see, some ppl when they get an answer such as yours will then shift the goal-posts and try to give a hard time to anyone with any kind of tattoo. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite verse and mine also. I'm sure other conversations have also arisen as a result of her careful decision to receive injections of ink in this well known Biblical design, which presumably would be the whole point of submitting oneself to the needle.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
i think the point would be that this was more of a marker as to where she was on her journey in Christ at the time that she got the ink.
But I don't think that her past actions in any way would reflect on where she is today in Christ.
In Christ we are new creations, and one of the ways of determining if a creation is healthy is to see if it is growing and producing good fruit.

So while she has the tattoo that glorifies Christ, IF I were her mentor (and only if) then i would listen to see what she says, and to hear from her about how she is growing as a Christian.

and if I'm not in a mentoring position, then her growth is between her and Christ, and none of my business.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you believe, everything is possible for those who believe. You are repented because of the tatoo and you feel sorrow because of it, so God will accept your interior instead of your exterior. I don't know if tatoos are sinful, because the anti-tatoo norm was given in the Leviticus to the hebrews, but for us, it may not be sinful after all, God knows, but certainly a tatoo with the number of the beast is satanic, I would get rid of it.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
i think the point would be that this was more of a marker as to where she was on her journey in Christ at the time that she got the ink.
But I don't think that her past actions in any way would reflect on where she is today in Christ.
In Christ we are new creations, and one of the ways of determining if a creation is healthy is to see if it is growing and producing good fruit.

So while she has the tattoo that glorifies Christ, IF I were her mentor (and only if) then i would listen to see what she says, and to hear from her about how she is growing as a Christian.

and if I'm not in a mentoring position, then her growth is between her and Christ, and none of my business.
Do you think a faith based tattoo (Bible verse, etc.) can lead to a constructive conversation that the Lord may choose to bless?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you believe, everything is possible for those who believe. You are repented because of the tatoo and you feel sorrow because of it, so God will accept your interior instead of your exterior. I don't know if tatoos are sinful, because the anti-tatoo norm was given in the Leviticus to the hebrews, but for us, it may not be sinful after all, God knows, but certainly a tatoo with the number of the beast is satanic, I would get rid of it.
Unless one can "prove" that such a tattoo would be sole evidence of apostasy, then presumably the person can be exhorted to believe.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think a faith based tattoo (Bible verse, etc.) can lead to a constructive conversation that the Lord may choose to bless?
in and of itself? no.

but if the story behind the conversion is told, that can lead to a conversion.

"I once was, but now I am" is what should be the theme of the conversation, and not how lovely or interesting the tattoo is.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Strong in Him: Hi there. You see, some ppl when they get an answer such as yours will then shift the goal-posts and try to give a hard time to anyone with any kind of tattoo.

Yes, maybe. But I think there will always be people - sadly, maybe even Christians - who will look at a person and judge by appearances. E.g; "that person has a tattoo/piercings/coloured hair/is wearing a low cut top therefore they are probably unbelievers and in need of salvation." And even if that was proved to be the case, none of us have the right to give them a hard time about it. If we think that a tattoo, or anything else, dishonours God, and yet the wearer doesn't know God; is it surprising they would make that choice?

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite verse and mine also. I'm sure other conversations have also arisen as a result of her careful decision to receive injections of ink in this well known Biblical design, which presumably would be the whole point of submitting oneself to the needle.

Personally I don't believe a tattoo is wrong. If someone wants to have one; that is up to them. I wouldn't have even my favourite Bible verse tattooed on me - mostly because I don't have one - but if someone sincerely feels that what they are doing is right before God, or ok with him; who am I to say otherwise? And yes, it might lead to some great conversations.

Isaiah 49:12 says "see, I have engraved your name on the palm of my hands". And the hands of the Lord Jesus were pierced for us on the cross. It's not a justification for having a tattoo; just food for thought.:)

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, maybe. But I think there will always be people - sadly, maybe even Christians - who will look at a person and judge by appearances. E.g; "that person has a tattoo/piercings/coloured hair/is wearing a low cut top therefore they are probably unbelievers and in need of salvation." And even if that was proved to be the case, none of us have the right to give them a hard time about it. If we think that a tattoo, or anything else, dishonours God, and yet the wearer doesn't know God; is it surprising they would make that choice?

Personally I don't believe a tattoo is wrong. If someone wants to have one; that is up to them. I wouldn't have even my favourite Bible verse tattooed on me - mostly because I don't have one - but if someone sincerely feels that what they are doing is right before God, or ok with him; who am I to say otherwise? And yes, it might lead to some great conversations.

Isaiah 49:12 says "see, I have engraved your name on the palm of my hands". And the hands of the Lord Jesus were pierced for us on the cross. It's not a justification for having a tattoo; just food for thought.:)
Strong in Him: Fact is, a lot of Christians, -especially young people- seem to have exactly that motivation; my wife and I talked to a young lady for whom being injected on the wrist with a Bible verse is exactly what she wanted.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi. Sorry, I know that this wasn't addressed to me, but I just wanted to say that yesterday I dyed my hair bright blue, (hair spray - temporary) because this is dementia awareness week in the UK and I wanted people to notice my hair so I could talk to them about dementia. It worked, and one of the conversations I had was with two other people, both of whom were Christians. For 5 minutes we had a great time of fellowship, talking about the Lord and answered prayer - all because they noticed my hair.
Obviously that was a temporary thing, and only a small example, but I'm quite sure the Lord can use anything he chooses to draw people to himself. I, personally, wouldn't have a tattoo done for that reason - but some might see no harm in it and be willing to have it done.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Strong in Him: Fact is, a lot of Christians, -especially young people- seem to have exactly that motivation; my wife and I talked to a young lady for whom being injected on the wrist with a Bible verse is exactly what she wanted.

If that was her choice, and she was a Christian who also believed that it was ok in the sight of God, isn't that what matters?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Of course they can be saved! But the tatoo would be a serious cause of distress and they will want to do something about it. It costs more to have it removed than to have another tatoo done over it. I was thinking they could have the numbers turned into roses at the foot of a cross.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love everyone's replies! The reason why I ask is because in revelations whoever gets the mark of the beast... Which is 666... Is damned forever.

I haven't studied Revelation, and it seems there are many theories about it. But the NIV says,
"if anyone has insight let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666" Rev 13:18

Two things strike me;
1. Why do we need wisdom to calculate the number of the beast if the writer tells us it is 666?
2. Is 666 in fact the mark of the beast? This verse says that the number of the beast is man's number. In the Bible, 7 is the number for God, or that symbolises or represents God. 6 is the number for man - one short of God (for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God); one short of perfection. So might it not be said that 666 = someone who is totally man - someone, perhaps, who has completely and totally rejected God, is anti God and relies only on man, or himself, to save?

I can't buy into the theories I have seen that anyone whose name totals 666, or who has 666 in their car reg, or who night have been born on 6/6/06, is satanic and/or the antichrist. I might want to know why a person has chosen to have 666 as a tattoo, (although in the hypothetical scenario of the OP they have had it removed), but I wouldn't assume that proves they are damned and unable to be saved.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ok, theoretical question here: Let's say we have a criminal who receives a 666 tattoo on his forehead or right hand when he's in prison. However, later on in life they regret it and have it removed. Is it possible for that person to get saved or no?

Of course they can be saved. The mark of the beast in the Apocalypse isn't a tattoo of six hundred and sixty-six. In the Apocalypse it speaks of two marks or signs; one of the beast and of his number six hundred and sixty-six (or six hundred and sixteen depending on the manuscript) and the seal of God. The point of these is to mark out those who belong to God and those who belong to the Beast (i.e. those whose religious allegiance is to Caesar). It has nothing to do with physical marks, microchips, tattoos, etc. It has everything to do with whether one, in the time of St. John, confessed Christ as Lord or confessed Caesar as lord.

There is nobody--none whatsoever--that is outside of the grace of our God as come to us through the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus. Christ died for the sins of the whole world, God's mercy is for everyone. The Gospel is for all, and can rescue all.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Of course they can be saved. The mark of the beast in the Apocalypse isn't a tattoo of six hundred and sixty-six. In the Apocalypse it speaks of two marks or signs; one of the beast and of his number six hundred and sixty-six (or six hundred and sixteen depending on the manuscript) and the seal of God. The point of these is to mark out those who belong to God and those who belong to the Beast (i.e. those whose religious allegiance is to Caesar). It has nothing to do with physical marks, microchips, tattoos, etc. It has everything to do with whether one, in the time of St. John, confessed Christ as Lord or confessed Caesar as lord.

There is nobody--none whatsoever--that is outside of the grace of our God as come to us through the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus. Christ died for the sins of the whole world, God's mercy is for everyone. The Gospel is for all, and can rescue all.

-CryptoLutheran

yes it can, but that's not the end of the story.

the best example of that is when the risen Jesus called to the disciples while they were fishing without catching anything after a long night, and He told them where to cast their nets....on the right side of the boat. ;)
Yes they were fishermen by trade, but He was the creator of the fish.

The fish were His and He knew just where they were, the same as He knew where the disciples were in their journey.

The decision of the disciples to follow His directions and give up on their own plans showed that they were ready to be led once again. And when they recognized who it was who was leading them was when they accepted the greater challenge to be fishers of men.
And then just as Peter had betrayed Him 3 times, so He called Peter back those 3 times to make sure that Peter knew and was really ready to come all the way back to Him.

So the short story here is that as far away as someone has traveled away from the Lord is how far they have to go to come back to Him once again.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So the short story here is that as far away as someone has traveled away from the Lord is how far they have to go to come back to Him once again.

In the story of the Good Shepherd it is the Shepherd who searches high and low. In the post-resurrection accounts it is Jesus who comes to His scattered disciples and gathers them once again.

It is Christ who comes to us in our darkness, in our despair, in our weakness, in our unbelief, not we who come to Him.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
If anything, such a tattoo would provide a powerful testimony for a believer and unbeliever alike.

We should be more worried about the 666 being tattooed on their heart, so to speak.

Upvote 0