Is it possible for a sinner who has a "666" tattoo to get saved?

Andres88

Contributor
Feb 7, 2008
Santo Domingo
✟25,823.00
Country
Dominican Republic
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
On the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, I believe it's more or less of a permanent attitude in rejecting God's grace, than a single action done once that has some physical consequences that might last for the rest of a person's mortal life. If there is true repentance, would God reject that person's contrite and humbled heart because of permanent consequences on the physical body of that person? If someone cuts himself a finger, and then repents, would God reject his repentance?

While the "666" is something that the Scriptures talk against, in my opinion, it wouldn't be something as obvious as a literal "666" mark/tatoo. Else most people would just clearly flee from it.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi. Sorry, I know that this wasn't addressed to me, but I just wanted to say that yesterday I dyed my hair bright blue, (hair spray - temporary) because this is dementia awareness week in the UK and I wanted people to notice my hair so I could talk to them about dementia. It worked, and one of the conversations I had was with two other people, both of whom were Christians. For 5 minutes we had a great time of fellowship, talking about the Lord and answered prayer - all because they noticed my hair.
Obviously that was a temporary thing, and only a small example, but I'm quite sure the Lord can use anything he chooses to draw people to himself. I, personally, wouldn't have a tattoo done for that reason - but some might see no harm in it and be willing to have it done.
Strong in Him:

I guess the perceived harm might be the need to cover it in some circumstances, but many Christians are indeed willing to have it done; and doing it is a proven conversation-starter. (Of course, the design needs to be good, not bad.) Blessings.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,941.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Strong in Him:

I guess the perceived harm might be the need to cover it in some circumstances, but many Christians are indeed willing to have it done; and doing it is a proven conversation-starter. (Of course, the design needs to be good, not bad.) Blessings.

True. :cool: (Isn't there a thumbs up smilie any more?)

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If that was her choice, and she was a Christian who also believed that it was ok in the sight of God, isn't that what matters?
Strong in Him:

A 18 year old Christian is unlikely to be successful with an investment portfolio; or in accumulating a good pension fund; or to have gotten rapid work promotion. But at 18 - when first ink is often done - a young Christian may well feel strongly motivated enough to want in invest in an effective visit to the parlor for faith based ink.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
On the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, I believe it's more or less of a permanent attitude in rejecting God's grace, than a single action done once that has some physical consequences that might last for the rest of a person's mortal life. If there is true repentance, would God reject that person's contrite and humbled heart because of permanent consequences on the physical body of that person? If someone cuts himself a finger, and then repents, would God reject his repentance?

While the "666" is something that the Scriptures talk against, in my opinion, it wouldn't be something as obvious as a literal "666" mark/tatoo. Else most people would just clearly flee from it.

Yeah, then only problem a confessing Christian would have with such a tattoo.. is the problem of having to explain it to everybody he meets in the world of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok, theoretical question here: Let's say we have a criminal who receives a 666 tattoo on his forehead or right hand when he's in prison. However, later on in life they regret it and have it removed. Is it possible for that person to get saved or no?
Yes, one man had a tattoo of the devil on his back and when he got baptized it was gone.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Color me skeptical.

-CryptoLutheran
Do you think a faith based tattoo design (e.g., Christian fish sign <>< or Bible verse etc on wrist, or wherever) can prove to be useful as a conversation-starting tool in witness?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, maybe. But I think there will always be people - sadly, maybe even Christians - who will look at a person and judge by appearances. E.g; "that person has a tattoo/piercings/coloured hair/is wearing a low cut top therefore they are probably unbelievers and in need of salvation." And even if that was proved to be the case, none of us have the right to give them a hard time about it. If we think that a tattoo, or anything else, dishonours God, and yet the wearer doesn't know God; is it surprising they would make that choice?

Personally I don't believe a tattoo is wrong. If someone wants to have one; that is up to them. I wouldn't have even my favourite Bible verse tattooed on me - mostly because I don't have one - but if someone sincerely feels that what they are doing is right before God, or ok with him; who am I to say otherwise? And yes, it might lead to some great conversations.

Isaiah 49:12 says "see, I have engraved your name on the palm of my hands". And the hands of the Lord Jesus were pierced for us on the cross. It's not a justification for having a tattoo; just food for thought.:)
The Amplified Version has 'I have tattooed thee...(etc.)'.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

is anything impossible with God? His power TRUMPS any other li'l ol' power that wants to raise its oooogly head, including any numbers that represent it. God can snatch any of us sinners outta da yawning chasm-ing jaws of our sure destruction.

Yes, da guy wif da tattoo can surely be included in the numbers of the redeemed.

Which brings to mind a song:

God bless us, ev'ry one (((hug)))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok, theoretical question here: Let's say we have a criminal who receives a 666 tattoo on his forehead or right hand when he's in prison. However, later on in life they regret it and have it removed. Is it possible for that person to get saved or no?

Matthew 12:31.

When we begin thinking certain sins cannot be forgiven by God for, they have embraced not Christian theology but the theology of Montanism and its puritanical extremism.

When we begin thinking God cannot forgive a sin, we have replaced the true God for a weak and ineffective idol.

Jesus died for all sins, not just a few.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

is anything impossible with God? His power TRUMPS any other li'l ol' power that wants to raise its oooogly head, including any numbers that represent it. God can snatch any of us sinners outta da yawning chasm-ing jaws of our sure destruction.

Yes, da guy wif da tattoo can surely be included in the numbers of the redeemed.

Which brings to mind a song:

God bless us, ev'ry one (((hug)))

Hi brinny: The key is, the Lord knows the heart, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ob77

Jun 1, 2014
✟470.00
Faith
Christian

What the tattoo illustrates is of no value. We were commanded not to make cuttings in our flesh or print on it with ink. We were not to be like the heathen, which do such things. By not being tattooed displays obedience and reverence to the Father. Can one be saved for such a transgression? Yes, but, Christ would likely say, "Go, and sin no more".

Upvote 0

ob77

Jun 1, 2014
✟470.00
Faith
Christian
I haven't studied Revelation, and it seems there are many theories about it. But the NIV says,
"if anyone has insight let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666" Rev 13:18

Two things strike me;
1. Why do we need wisdom to calculate the number of the beast if the writer tells us it is 666?
2. Is 666 in fact the mark of the beast? This verse says that the number of the beast is man's number. In the Bible, 7 is the number for God, or that symbolises or represents God. 6 is the number for man - one short of God (for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God); one short of perfection. So might it not be said that 666 = someone who is totally man - someone, perhaps, who has completely and totally rejected God, is anti God and relies only on man, or himself, to save?

I can't buy into the theories I have seen that anyone whose name totals 666, or who has 666 in their car reg, or who night have been born on 6/6/06, is satanic and/or the antichrist. I might want to know why a person has chosen to have 666 as a tattoo, (although in the hypothetical scenario of the OP they have had it removed), but I wouldn't assume that proves they are damned and unable to be saved.

666 is obsolete greek and has to do with using stones for counting over such a long period of time that the stones have worn smooth.
There is more than one beast. The beast is a system in place and it is worldwide and controls most everything, which is why no one can make war with it.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Why not it's just a umber and means nothing. It's Dispensationalism that made something out of nothing

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What the tattoo illustrates is of no value. We were commanded not to make cuttings in our flesh or print on it with ink. We were not to be like the heathen, which do such things. By not being tattooed displays obedience and reverence to the Father. Can one be saved for such a transgression? Yes, but, Christ would likely say, "Go, and sin no more".
ob77:

What do you think of a specifically faith based tattoo design, obtained for witness purposes, such as a Christian fish sign <>< or Bible verse, etc. on a wrist or elsewhere? My wife and I talked to a young lady who had the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist; it was her favorite verse and mine also; and I'm sure there have been other conversations that have also arisen as a result of it.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Do you think a faith based tattoo design (e.g., Christian fish sign <>< or Bible verse etc on wrist, or wherever) can prove to be useful as a conversation-starting tool in witness?

Sure. I don't usually draw attention to the tattoo I have on my shoulder, a triquetra with the Hebrew word echad as a reference to the Sh'ma (Deuteronomy 6:4). But it's resulted in people asking questions about what it means.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0