Visit site
✟18,406.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
no one can answer those questions, the only thing you can do is pull up verses where it says "it's an abomination for a man to wear women's close and a women to wear man's" and then say, we do that anyway so......

You don't think that's a reasonably compelling counter-argument?

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
Of course it is. The Scriptures tell us so. There is no way around it, unless we want to enter into fables that we wish to believe. "Orientation" is a crock and a crutch.

Why do you believe it to be "a crock and a crutch"?

It's quite clear that while the majority of people naturally experience physical and romantic attraction to people of the opposite gender to their own, others naturally experience physical and romantic attraction to people of the same gender as their own, and there are some who naturally experience physical and romantic attraction to people of either gender. The physical component of this attraction, at least, can be measured objectively, so is definitely not "a crock".

David.

Upvote 0

Tissue

Aug 3, 2004
Houghton, New York
Visit site
✟18,406.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
BlackJack is a person who clings to a very narrow interpretation of Scripture, and nothing outside of Scripture (interpreted according to his predispositions) will dislodge him from his view. Because Scripture can be made to be consistent with itself in a multitude of viewpoints, he has successfully defended himself against all assaults from such things as science and logic.

Best to just leave him be or ignore him, David. He's lost.

Upvote 0

polishbeast

Servant of Jesus
Apr 14, 2008
UCF
✟9,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And people also have attractions to more than one person at once, does that make polygamy ok? No. Once you just begin ignoring Scripture and tradition on this subject, you might as well just start deciding for yourselves what is a sin or isnt and just throw God out of the picture, because that is what you are doing.

Reactions: BlackJack77
Upvote 0

Tissue

Aug 3, 2004
Houghton, New York
Visit site
✟18,406.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One: The fundamentalist 'If part of the Bible is wrong you might as well throw the whole thing out!' schtick doesn't fly with most of us here.

Two: We aren't denying Scripture. In some cases, we are saying the verses were meant for a particular culture and not as eternal law. In other cases, they were mistranslated.

Upvote 0

BlackJack77

just a messenger--don't shoot me!
Aug 27, 2008
✟15,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:amen:

And people also have attractions to more than one person at once, does that make polygamy ok? No. Once you just begin ignoring Scripture and tradition on this subject, you might as well just start deciding for yourselves what is a sin or isnt and just throw God out of the picture, because that is what you are doing.

Upvote 0

BlackJack77

Aug 27, 2008
✟15,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear Tissue,

First of all, it is the Scripture that taught me the "narrow" path in the first place, not my own "predispositions". Scripture is of no private interpretation. It isn't the parts of the Bible that people don't understand that I believe troubles them, but rather the parts that they do. Further, you are very fortunate that your last inflammatory statement was made to me instead of others on this forum, or you would surely have been reported, because I know if I had said that, I couldn't have been reported fast enough. (you really ought to edit it.)

In addition, I find it ironic that you used the word, 'narrow' because Jesus used that word too, to describe the route that those who will be saved take, while those headed for destruction enter through the wide gate. You can tell which are going through the wide gate, because the world (those who are not born again and are hellbound) approves of them. The world loves them, but Jesus said, HIS people would be hated, just as He was hated. If the world is loving our thoughts and our ways, we might just want to take it as a warning that we might just be heading down the wrong path, the one that leads to death and destruction, rather than the one that leads to life everlasting.

I'm pretty much done here, casting my pearls. Those who seek the truth shall find it, those who don't won't. In the end, God will separate the sheep from the goats and the truth will prevail. My conscience however is clear. I've shared the truth that has proceeded from the mouth of God, the same truth He will judge the world by. Let those who have ears to hear it, hear it.

Holding fast to the word of Truth,

Jack

BlackJack is a person who clings to a very narrow interpretation of Scripture, and nothing outside of Scripture (interpreted according to his predispositions) will dislodge him from his view. Because Scripture can be made to be consistent with itself in a multitude of viewpoints, he has successfully defended himself against all assaults from such things as science and logic.

Best to just leave him be or ignore him, David. He's lost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Reactions: BlackJack77
Upvote 0

Tissue

Aug 3, 2004
Houghton, New York
Visit site
✟18,406.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Dear Tissue,

First of all, it is the Scripture that taught me the "narrow" path in the first place, not my own "predispositions".

This is simply untrue. You cannot read a text without employing your predispositions, your experience, your assumptions. It's impossible. One cannot read a text with complete objectivity.

The reading of Scripture is always an act of interpretation. This should induce a certain level of humility.

Scripture is of no private interpretation.

Insofar as humanity interacts with the Bible, it involves nothing but interpretation.

The moment you 'understand' a verse, you have interpreted it.

It isn't the parts of the Bible that people don't understand that I believe troubles them, but rather the parts that they do.

You seem to be implying that other people who do not interpret the Bible as you do are willfully deceiving themselves, or something of that nature. This is a terrible way to approach conversation.

Further, you are very fortunate that your last inflammatory statement was made to me instead of others on this forum, or you would surely have been reported, because I know if I had said that, I couldn't have been reported fast enough. (you really ought to edit it.)

I meant every word I wrote. It was not meant to belittle you, but to express your position as clearly and succinctly as I can.

In addition, I find it ironic that you used the word, 'narrow' because Jesus used that word too, to describe the route that those who will be saved take, while those headed for destruction enter through the wide gate. You can tell which are going through the wide gate, because the world approved of them. The world loves them, but Jesus said, HIS people would be hated, just as He was hated. If the world is loving our thoughts and our ways, we might just want to take it as a warning that we might just be heading down the wrong path, the one that leads to death and destruction, rather than the one that leads to life everlasting.

That's a rather different subject, isn't it?

I'm pretty much done here, casting my pearls.

Wow. That's pretty arrogant. I guess that makes me a pig, eh?

Those who seek the truth shall find it, those who don't won't.

This is not always true. Many who seek truth do not find it. Many who seek God wind up in other religions. They are still seeking truth, but they find themselves associating with Islam, or Buddhism, or Taoism, or Fox News (zing!).

In the end, God will separate the sheep from the goats and the truth will prevail. My conscience however is clear. I've shared the truth that has proceeded from the mouth of God, the same truth He will judge the world by. Let those who have ears to hear it, hear it.

Even lost sheep are still sheep.

Upvote 0

BlackJack77

Aug 27, 2008
✟15,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear David,

I'm going to as a courtesy, answer this before I pack up my pearls.

Why are you asking me this question? I didn't just make that statement and run away, I explained that statement fully in the paragraph that followed that apparently you didn't see, so I'll post it again for your benefit. The reason I said, "Of course it is. The Scriptures tell us so. There is no way around it, unless we want to enter into fables that we wish to believe. "Orientation" is a crock and a crutch."

Is that:

"We are all sin oriented BEFORE coming to Christ, afterward we should be Christ oriented and righteousness oriented, not oriented in our particular cross. We just don't say, "oh well, this is my cross and it can't change" That is a lie from satan. It is his will to keep us bound in whatever stronghold we might be bound in, but the truth is that Jesus came to set the captives free. He whom the Son makes free is free indeed. It doesn't matter if you are being held captive by homosexual tendencies and strongholds and/or spirits of perversion or held captive by inappropriate contentography, or drugs or alcohol, or by pathological lying, adultery, fornication, anger, wrath etc., Jesus is willing and ABLE to deliver us from our transgressions and give us a NEW nature, which is the righteousness of God in HIM.

If we deny this, then we deny the One who came to set us free, and render Him powerless over our sin, because we have elevated our sin as more powerful than He is and we choose our fleshly will over His, and leave no room for the Holy Spirit to transform us--none at all."

Holding fast to the word of Truth,
Jack

Why do you believe it to be "a crock and a crutch"?

It's quite clear that while the majority of people naturally experience physical and romantic attraction to people of the opposite gender to their own, others naturally experience physical and romantic attraction to people of the same gender as their own, and there are some who naturally experience physical and romantic attraction to people of either gender. The physical component of this attraction, at least, can be measured objectively, so is definitely not "a crock".

David.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

Cody2

It saddens me to read all these liberal Christians defend homosexuality, when the Bible clearly says it is a sin against God.

Romans 1:26 "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet." KJB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It saddens me to read all these liberal Christians defend homosexuality, when the Bible clearly says it is a sin against God.

Romans 1:26 "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet." KJB

It clearly dosen't say such a thing or there wouldnt be a new thread debating it springing up on these forums on an almost daily basis about it.

Upvote 0

Tissue

Aug 3, 2004
Houghton, New York
Visit site
✟18,406.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
KJB onlyist?

Invest in a New Revised Standard Bible, or a New American Standard Bible. Much more accurate/up-to-date. KJB is rife with oddities in translation, and wasn't translated in the light of many of the manuscripts we have found since then.

Different translation might help with the matter, or, at least, offer a starting point for a study.

Upvote 0

2 King

By His Wounds We Are Healed
Jun 5, 2009
Desert
✟17,226.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
It clearly dosen't say such a thing or there wouldnt be a new thread debating it springing up on these forums on an almost daily basis about it.
We have morals, ethics, etc. How can we still be so blind? we even have a RoadMap to help us along the way, yet we go off course.

Regardless, It's a sin. The Bible says it's an "ABOMINATION" big deal. which means : intense aversion or loathing; detestation
Tiss, you yourself said we interpret scripture and are able to relate to God through verses and hints. So...let's not be arrogant here. God is good, since God is good, He hates evil. Since He is good, hates evil and is an example for us, we should follow His example as best as we can. So now we have an idea of what to do, so since we follow the example of God to an extent of our ability, we now know what we ought to do. Now that we've established that, this verse kicks into gear: "If you know what you ought to do yet don't do it, you sin."- James 4:17

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.