Is "Belief" a choice?...lets talk about that.

Do you believe that "belief" is a choice?

• Total voters

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The whole matter of the Incarnation, etc. was part of a divine plan. We know that. But the issue of leaving all men basically to their own dim abilities when it comes to appropriating Jesus' merits goes to the issue of freewill or election in the matter of salvation. Your thinking seems to amount to him saying "You're on your own," which, I'm thinking, can hardly be less cheery than thinking that he chooses his elect and secures them according to his plan.
How does that answer the question of why God does not use His soverenity to intervene and not let satan run amuk? Or why Jesus (fully God) let satan tempt Him for 40 days and 40 nights and not exercise His authority?

Jesus said, "If you know me, then you know the Father for I and my Father are One'.

So how can you say Jesus was a special circumstance when He said that He and His Father are One. With the same will and the same mind.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't know. However, that's a somewhat different issue from what we're talking about. We could look at this from the freewill POV, too, and we'd have to conclude that they had no chance, right? If so, Election doesn't look any worse by comparison. Isn't that so?
So you have no answer, but are asking which POV seems better?

If God only chose to save the Hebrews. Then only the Hebrews were elect during the time until Jesus death. Jesus said, I come FIRST for the Jew, than for the gentile. To His apostles He said, 'Go first to the Jew, than to the gentile'.

Whereas, under the New Covenant Jesus will accept any man to be saved that has faith.

So did election change or the covenant change (ie.. Old Covenant vs. New Covenant)?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The whole matter of the Incarnation, etc. was part of a divine plan. We know that. But the issue of leaving all men basically to their own dim abilities when it comes to appropriating Jesus' merits goes to the issue of freewill or election in the matter of salvation. Your thinking seems to amount to him saying "You're on your own," which, I'm thinking, can hardly be less cheery than thinking that he chooses his elect and secures them according to his plan.
Not at all. Your POV says if your not elect, your on your own.

My point of view says that Jesus wants ALL to come to Him and anyone can come to Him in faith and be saved.

So who's view leaves some on their own?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How does that answer the question of why God does not use His soverenity to intervene and not let satan run amuk?
Do either of us know all things? Are you assuming that God's eternal purposes from before the foundations of the world were laid are supposed by us mortals to be completely and precisely understood?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So you have no answer, but are asking which POV seems better?
I'm attempting to cut through the knee-jerk, facile comments and get you to appreciate the issue that we started off with. Sometimes it works to illustrate a point by suggesting a parallel situation that the other person can appreciate more readily than the one that seems, like this one, to be at a standstill.

If God only chose to save the Hebrews. Then only the Hebrews were elect during the time until Jesus death.
Oh, no. I don't know anyone who thinks that every Hebrew prior to Jesus was guaranteed salvation merely by being born a Hebrew.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you explain God not exercising His sovereignity when Jesus was on the earth? God put it on hold, but yet He was still God and man. So asking your same type of question, 'why did Jesus (fully God, fully man) allow satan to tempt Him for 40 days and 40 nights?

Why would He put it on hold and allow himself to be held up by satan without a fight?

I categorize these wonders...predestination and election...as knowledge too lofty for me to attain, as David writes...
Psalm 139:6
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do either of us know all things? Are you assuming that God's eternal purposes from before the foundations of the world were laid are supposed by us mortals to be completely and precisely understood?
Not at all.

You brought up the point that if God does not use His sovereignity to control things is He really acting as God? That was a question you raised

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm attempting to cut through the knee-jerk, facile comments and get you to appreciate the issue that we started off with. Sometimes it works to illustrate a point by suggesting a parallel situation that the other person can appreciate more readily than the one that seems, like this one, to be at a standstill.

I've thought, prayed and read the Bible on this topic for years, so it is not any knee-jerk reaction that i am writing. These are hard questions because I've thought them out.

They are never addressed by people that believe in Calvinism because they do not have an answer.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Oh, no. I don't know anyone who thinks that every Hebrew prior to Jesus was guaranteed salvation merely by being born a Hebrew.
I did not say that either. I said that God specifically chose the Hebrew people and that it was only the Hebrew priesthood that was able to temporarily attone for sin through sacrifice.

So given that, very few non-Hebrews were in their culture. God told them not to marry outside of their race.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not at all.
Ok, so we're in agreement to that extent. We don't know everything about God and his will and, I might add, the Bible makes it clear that we have been given all that we NEED TO KN0W.

You brought up the point that if God does not use His sovereignity to control things is He really acting as God? That was a question you raised
Yes. IS it a convincing argument to say that in the very important (according to the Bible it is important) matter of saving souls, God would choose to be Missing In Action and, as a result, have Satan win most of us rather than God? That's the question put a little bit more specifically.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Look Up

"What is unseen is eternal"
Jul 16, 2010
✟16,230.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So, let's look at this.

The question could also be asked 'Why did Jesus not come in glory with the full power of being the Son of God and God Himself and wipe out the Pharisee's and the ruler's (ie Pontius Pilot) and such?

God was not exercising His authority over mankind letting them kill His Son. But what became of it. God reconciled all those who believe in His Son back to Himself.

So who won? God who get's billions of His Children back through Christ or the people that crucified Christ (ie. Pharisee's and Pontius Pilot) got to kill Jesus dead?

God won! :clap:

People did evil, but God used it for good. Are not we His Children used for His good in an evil world when we love our neighbors as ourselves? Does satan win because we did not choose to exercise our authority to serve self, not God.

"...Jesus. delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God ..." (Acts 2:23).
"For truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate ....(etc.) ... to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place" (Acts 4:27-28).​

You claim as above, "God was not exercising His authority over mankind letting them kill His Son." How do you reconcile this claim with Peter's own words as I have cited from Acts 2:23 and 4:27-28, words which would seem a clear contradiction of your claim, unless you do not agree with Peter?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ok, so we're in agreement to that extent. We don't know everything about God and his will and, I might add, the Bible makes it clear that we have been given all that we NEED TO KN0W.
I agree. But the case is not clear cut for Calvinism although people act like it is. From Genesis in the Garden, Eve was able to disobey God. And that is free-will.

It is clear that a person must come to Christ in faith in order to have salvation. Although I think that is misconscrewed in Calvinism. I also feel that is clearly free-will.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes. IS it a convincing argument to say that in the very important (according to the Bible it is important) matter of saving souls, God would choose to be Missing In Action and, as a result, have Satan win most of us rather than God? That's the question put a little bit more specifically.

How do you explain Job?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree. But the case is not clear cut for Calvinism although people act like it is. From Genesis in the Garden, Eve was able to disobey God. And that is free-will.
It's NOT free-will as that term is used in these discussions concerning Predestination, Calvinism, or etc.

It is clear that a person must come to Christ in faith in order to have salvation. Although I think that is misconscrewed in Calvinism. I also feel that is clearly free-will.
Wow. No, that's not misconscrewed (sic) in Calvinism. Calvinism very clearly accepts that salvation is by Faith in Christ. And if you're saying that having Faith requires free-will, you certainly haven't shown why that would be so. Obviously, I think, God is capable of imparting Faith by Grace to a person if he so chooses.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"...Jesus. delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God ..." (Acts 2:23).
"For truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate ....(etc.) ... to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place" (Acts 4:27-28).​

You claim as above, "God was not exercising His authority over mankind letting them kill His Son." How do you reconcile this claim with Peter's own words as I have cited from Acts 2:23 and 4:27-28, words which would seem a clear contradiction of your claim, unless you do not agree with Peter?
That was a point someone else made. I was asking them a similiar question waiting for their answer. They were saying that if predestination were not true, that God would not be exercising authority over the earth.

My point to them was that when God came to earth as Jesus, He did not come exercising great authority. For the first 30 years of Jesus life we only know about when He was 12 years old and got lost in the synogague. Then when He is 30 yo, His minstry begins after getting baptised by John the Baptist.

I would like to know the same thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's NOT free-will as that term is used in these discussions concerning Predestination, Calvinism, or etc.
They do not get to make up their own definitions. Out of curiousity, how do they define it?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They do not get to make up their own definitions. Out of curiousity, how do they define it?
They rely upon the Bible, just as I presume that you do. When the topic turns to the Calvinist vs Arminian POVs or Freewill vs Election, it's to resume a debate that goes back at least to the Reformation. And you chose to refer to Calvinism in this discussion, so I think there's no question about what you meant to discuss.

You said: "a person must come to Christ in faith in order to have salvation. Although I think that is misconscrewed in Calvinism."

In fact, Calvinism says that a person must come to Christ in faith in order to have salvation. The question is simply what enables the person to do that. And it doesn't mean that we don't have freewill when it comes to other decisions we face in life.

Then you said: "I also feel that is clearly free-will."

If you mean by that that you think it takes free will to come to Christ, I don't see how that's the case since we all know that it's within God's power to choose you to believe the Gospel.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Then you said: "I also feel that is clearly free-will."

If you mean by that that you think it takes free will to come to Christ, I don't see how that's the case since we all know that it's within God's power to choose you to believe the Gospel.
But I do not believe that God does that. Chooses to make us believe the gospel.

Upvote 0