How is Once Saved Always Saved not a license to sin? (moved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,845.00
Faith
Christian
But the only way such an interpretation on the text says what you want it to say is if you ignore all passages that talk about free will, though.

Again, I didn't interpret it. I didn't change the words or anything. So perhaps it's you that's interpreting it as something it doesn't say.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,200,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Again, I didn't interpret it. I didn't change the words or anything. So perhaps it's you that's interpreting it as something it doesn't say.

Do you honestly need passages that talk about free will? There are tons of them.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,200,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,777.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No. We call upon God to help us to stop sinning and to have Him work thru us. The answer is ..... "not you."

We merely choose to abide with God or not. He does not force us to be saved........
Abiding with God is not a relationship issue. It is a fellowship issue. Only a believer (already saved) can abide with God. And believers may fail to abide with God (sin, which grieves/quenches the Holy Spirit).

Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,777.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. - John 10:11

The shepherd dies for His sheep.

14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me,
15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. - John 10:14-15
Jesus said He would lay down His life (die for) THE sheep. The claim is that He would die for HIS sheep. There is a very big difference between the words "HIS" and "THE". Or more accurately, "MY" and "THE".

All this to say that Jesus clearly distinguished between sheep that were His (My sheep) and other sheep of Mine with THE sheep and those not of My sheep.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,200,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. And the unregenerate are carnally minded, aren't they?

The Bible says,

"Repent ye therefore and be converted." (Acts 3:19).

Meaning, a person first repents before they are converted.

Jesus says,

"I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance" (Luke 5:32).

Meaning, one is not regenerated (made righteous) before they repent.

Upvote 0

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,845.00
Faith
Christian
The Bible says,

"Repent ye therefore and be converted." (Acts 3:19).

Meaning, a person first repents before they are converted.

Jesus says,

"I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance" (Luke 5:32).

Meaning, one is not regenerated (made righteous) before they repent.

Regeneration and justification are not the same thing. Perhaps that's why you are making these mistakes.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,200,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Regeneration and justification are not the same thing. Perhaps that's why you are making these mistakes.

No. The passage says "repent" and be converted. Conversion is regeneration. How can it not be?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,200,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Look up the Greek definition of the word "called" in Matt 22. It is ' Christian'. IOW "Many are Christian but few are chosen." Because they are pew warmers and Sunday believers.

I do not need to go beyond the text in the English for this verse. The Bible confirms elsewhere the truth that God wants all people to be saved. See John 3:16, 2 Peter 3:9, John 1:29, John 12:32.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The father said to his son that he was dead and alive again twice is speaking in spiritual terms.
A spirit cannot die. Unless you think you can 'kill a ghost' that is. The FATHER is talking to his SON about a FELLOWSHIP issue and not a RELATIONSHIP issue. Your theology doesn't understand the difference IMO.
Meaning, he was dead spiritually (when he went prodigal) and he became "alive again" spiritually when he came back home.
So the SON was no longer the SON of his FATHER? The FATHER seemed to think he was, in the story. The SON was coming back to ask his FATHER for a job, not prove he was related. The FATHER wanted FELLOWSHIP with his SON, which he was RELATED to. I think you better prove he was dead spiritually from scripture for your POV understanding. Because I don't see it no matter how much religion says it.

In other words, a believer can go from a saved state to an unsaved state by backsliding into sin; And yet, they can also come back to the faith and be saved again.
Your half truth view just doesn't understand the scriptural difference between being "in the faith" versus "being OF the faith".

This is confirmed elsewhere in the Bible in James 5:19-21.
I'm afraid your 'half truth' just doesn't understand the difference between the saving of your spirit and your soul in your quoted verse.

JAM 5:19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; 20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

If one does not have fellowship with God then they are not saved. How so?
Your spirit determines your relationship with God for "GOD IS SPIRIT", but your SOUL determines your FELLOWSHIP with Him.

Actually, there are several passages that tell us that you cannot be out of fellowship with God and be saved.
SAVED in what? Spirit or soul?

#1. 1 John 5:12 says He that has the Son has life and He that does not have the Son does not have life. Life is associated with eternal life or salvation.

1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: Amen, when the shepherd found this lost sheep I believed. So did 'you' find the shepherd? Or did he find you?

#2. John 17:3 says eternal life is in know
And apparently the SON knew the FATHER even when he was slopping hogs right? No loss of relationship, only fellowship. A point which is the 'context' of your scripture above.

JOH 17:2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he/JESUS should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
So you think you 'took' eternal life but scripture says JESUS gave eternal life to those whom the FATHER GAVE to him. You are out of that equation.
#3. Romans 8:9 says if he a man does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to him.
I totally agree. So your problem IS?

#4. Psalm 73:27 says God will destroy all those who abandon Him (or go a whoring from Him).
Uhh is this the NEW COVENANT of Christ's blood, or is this the OLD COVENANT of the law of death?

#5. John 15:6 says if a man does not abide in Him, he is cast forth and burned.
I agree and so does scripture.
1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

#6. 1 John 1:7 says if we walk in the Light as He is in the Light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.
You don't know the difference between eternal 'forgiveness of' and tempoal 'cleansing from' then. It goes along with being "in the faith" and "of the faith". It also has to do with "you in Christ" versus "Christ in you". When you understand these terms you will come to the whole truth missing in half truth theology.

2CO 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

#7. Romans 11:21-22 says if you do not continue in his goodness you will be cut off. For if God spared not the natural branches (i.e. the Jews), take heed that he can do the same to you (i.e. Gentile believers). The analogy here is that you are branch and Christ is the tree. We need to continue in Christ's righteousness or goodness, not our own righteousness or goodness, or we will be cut off because of unbelief.
You bet, if you don't walk in fellowship and obedience then you will walk away in prodigalness and suffer the temporal consequences of not having God's favor and blessings here and now. Get to 'slop the hogs' of life so to speak.

#8. 2 Corinthians 13:5 says examine whether or not you are in the faith and prove that Christ be in you unless you be reprobate.
Hopefully you understand it now.

Do you tell them that they are saved while backslidden into sin?
Yep, just like my SON was when he rebelled against his mother and I in those 'stupid years'. When he returned after being gone for 6 months, the first thing he did was come up and give me a hug and say; "I sorry I was such a buttface growing up." I told him he was 'forgiven', but he was always my son.[/quote]

Sorry, got to go for the day. Hope a quick 'proof read' was right.

Reactions: FreeGrace2
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I believe regeneration is the same as justification...both of which refer to the salvation of the spirit.

Whereas Sanctification and renewal refer to the salvation of the soul.

Your spirit is generated when it is 'born again' and it is OSAS. But the soul is progressively saved as we 'work out 'that' salvation with fear and trembling' (Phil 2:12) and "Christ is formed in us." (Gal 4:19)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,200,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All I did was quote what it says. You are the one trying to say that it says something about free will.

Free Will in the Bible:

#1. Joshua 24:15 KJV -
"Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve"

#2. Matthew 11:28 KJV -
"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

#3. John 7:17 KJV -
"If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God."

#4. John 7:37 KJV -
"If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink."

#5. Acts 2:38 KJV -
"Repent, and let everyone of you be baptized"

#6. Acts 3:19 KJV -
"Repent therefore and be converted"

#7. Acts 16:31 KJV -
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved"

#8. Acts 17:30 KJV -
"but now commands all men everywhere to repent"

#9. Revelation 22:17 KJV -
"Whoever wills, let him take the water of life freely."

#10. Genesis 4:7 KJV -
"If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.